Mille Lacs Long Weekend Trip

• buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

This was my first open water trip to Mille Lacs drove 7 hours to get there but 3 day weekends are hard to come by with warm temps and cold front that moved in early Friday am I woke up to rain and lightening so back to bed I went the storm cleared out around 1pm so we launched out of red door the lake was pretty rough but didn’t stop us my buddy gary taught me about pulling lead core and spinners so game on caught some nice fish on Friday with 6 keepers for the box and a couple bonus perch fished 1 to 630 pm and headed back in Saturday had the misfortune of getting locked out of my truck only fished a couple hours Saturday night. Sunday I fished by my self set out to fish sand to mud transition and a few flats that looked good on the map first fish of morning was 24″ and from there on it was game on catching several fish ovet the next hour pulling spinners that ranged 22″ to 26″ as I worked to to the top of one flat I marked a big arc on the graph then I felt a solid tug and set the hook I knew right away this was a bigger fish so I played it out the fish made several runs where I had to free spool the bait caster I get the fish up to net it and see the hook is barely in the fishes mouth and it came off as I tried to net it this fish was an easy over and the biggest walleye I’ve ever had boat side I sat down and just took the moment in at least I got to see it briefly top side so I go back to working the flat came across more big marks felt a tic tick set the hook and nothing. There a toothy critter made lunch of my leader and that was the only rig I had so switched to leadcore pulling shad rap #7s which turned out to be a smart switch 2mph. Every solid mark on graph bit spent next 3 hours putting hammer down biggest walleye of day was 27″ boated 35 + walleyes in 18 to 23 fow theres nothing better than watching the lead core rod double over.

A Special Thanks to Rich Brennin and Gary Dickmeyer for showing me around and teaching me about pulling leadcore

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

jasonlem
    New Prague

sounds great my core suffered last week when I needed it Maybe the next time I head up it’ll be good
    We caught fish leading up to the red doors tournament but snaked bit during it’s ok had some to weigh for a first one.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Sorry to hear about your rods being stolen Jason I’m pretty shure you were fishing same flat as I was on Sunday morning.

gdickmeyer
    millelacs

Chad had an awesome time with you in the ranger on friday!I could have used that over on sunday! Nice job for a river rat fishing the big pond all by yourself for the first time you are officially HOOKED buddy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.