Leech first timer?

• jasonlem
    New Prague

I’ll be up on Leech for opener and looking for just a little help!! I am a Mille Lacs fisher so I won’t need alot of help just a little hoping for help from a friend!

rangerski
    North Metro

Fireball and a shiner fished in the rocks will take fish

Tom Wilson
    walker mn

Jig and spot tail shiner, if you are on the west side you will come across a ton of 10ft water west of a line from Pine point to Big hardwood point. The fish can be anywhere. You will see lots of boats in different areas. Pine point will be a zoo. You will encounter large sand flats, even off pine point to the north or little hardwood point out to goose. No need to join the floatillas. Looks like not much of a drift saturday so trolling will be the order. You just have to fish and once you connect work the area over.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

West wind is good stay away from the group lots of areas to fish as Tom said. Jig 1/8oz green with a spot tail shiner pitch the shoreline and work your way to the fish. A leech and a jig could work well also or on a lindy or under a bobber. The more wind the better for me. Drift troll or anchor

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Thanks for the help Tom and Bob. Tom – you mentioned trolling Saturday; you thinking cranks up shallower or live bait? Depths? Thanks for any advice you’re willing to share.

Joel

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

I think Tom was referencing the lack of wind will require that the pulls his boat to cover the water needed to connect with the active pods of fish when really presured and very clear with lack of wind, Lindy rigs can be deadly, no need for 13 footers on leech though, 6 to 7 does the trick for me. Also chubs over shiner on the rigs can be great as they are much hardier than shinners when rigged.

Tom Wilson
    walker mn

Quote:

Thanks for the help Tom and Bob. Tom – you mentioned trolling Saturday; you thinking cranks up shallower or live bait? Depths? Thanks for any advice you’re willing to share.

Joel

I was reffering to live bait trolling. You have to move the boat and find fish It can be deadly to rip jig a minnow on leech. drift=pop troll=rip Depths will very but with no wind Im thinking 10 to 12. Im also thinking there could be fish on the off shore flats on the west side. These areas have nice edges and drops fron 10/12ft t 16/20ft

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.