??? For Ultrex users

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How is the height adjustment for running a longer shaft when deploying? My boat shows a recommended 44″ shaft per the Minn Kota website. Given the bigger water I fish, considering the 52″ rather than a 45″

Pros/cons on Going with the 7″ longer shaft?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve got a 60″ shaft on my 36 volt Ulterra (1999 Lund Tyee 1950). I wish there was the longer one available when I bought mine. I made the switch to the Ulterra right when they very first came out.

Randy, my advise it to go longer as you can’t adjust it any deeper than what you have. My prop will come out of the water on an occasion with the chopper water associated with Walleye fishing the bigger bodies of water.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

I have a 60″ Ulterra on a WX 1880. The running depth is adjusted with the control and the unit will deploy to the same depth it was stowed the last time. I would recommend the longer unit. Check whether the head on the longer unit will hit anything in the boat in the stowed position.

munchy
    NULL

Randy,
    This is second hand, however I have heard because the extra clamps and the way the folding base is designed, the head of the Ultrex motor is actually a few inches higher in the water than a Fortrex of the same shaft length. I can’t give you exact details as I have never compared them side by side before, but it is something to be aware of. And I have heard most people buying the Ultrex are going a size up.

IMO it’s always good to go with a little extra length. Cavitation on the trolling motor is annoying.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have a 60″ Ulterra on a WX 1880. The running depth is adjusted with the control and the unit will deploy to the same depth it was stowed the last time. I would recommend the longer unit. Check whether the head on the longer unit will hit anything in the boat in the stowed position.

I believe the Ultrex uses a totally different design to adjust running depth verses stow depth.

Looks like it would be a pain if the “stow depth” and the “running depth” were not the same. I’d sure hate to be making these adjustments every time I stowed or deployed the motor. I’m sure some boat motor setups would be fine but if not,,,,,, ???

a. Before transporting the boat over water or land, stow the motor to determine where the Lower Unit rests on the Mount.
    b. If the Lower Unit does not sit on the Mount Ramps, deploy the motor so the Depth Collar can be loosened and the motor can be adjusted to allow it to rest on the Motor Ramps.
    c. With the motor in the deployed position, firmly grasp the motor Shaft above the Steering Module. d. Locate the Depth Collar on the Shaft. Loosen the Depth Collar Knob, while holding the Shaft in place, until the Shaft slides freely. e. Raise or lower the motor to the desired depth. f. Tighten the Depth Collar Knob on the Depth Collar to secure the motor in place. g. Stow the motor again and confirm that the Lower Unit is resting on the Mount Ramps in the Motor Rest Area. If it is not resting in the recommended location, re-deploy the motor and re-adjust until it sits where recommended when stowed.

Once the boat is on the water, it may be necessary to adjust the lower unit up or down to achieve an optimum depth for motor performance. When setting the depth of the motor, be sure the top of the motor is submerged at least 12” below the surface of the water to avoid churning or agitation of surface water.
    a. With the motor in the deployed position, firmly grasp the motor Shaft above the Steering Module.
    b. Locate the Depth Collar on the Shaft. Loosen the Depth Collar Knob, while holding the Shaft in place, until the Shaft slides freely.
    c. Raise or lower the motor to the desired depth. d. Tighten the Depth Collar Knob on the Depth Collar to secure the motor in place.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

How is the height adjustment for running a longer shaft when deploying? My boat shows a recommended 44″ shaft per the Minn Kota website. Given the bigger water I fish, considering the 52″ rather than a 45″

Pros/cons on Going with the 7″ longer shaft?

Randy, I’d contact Minn Kota and ask them if the 52″ fully extended to maximum depth will sit in the stowed position without additional adjustment. If so, for sure go with the 52″. I’m guessing it will but the 60″ at full extension probably doesn’t. (I know you are only asking about the 52′)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.