Fly In Fishfinder/GPS

• cal74

Looking at doing my first fly in this summer.

Without breaking the bank, I’d like a graph of some sort with GPS.

Thoughts on something that is conservative on batteries and how are you mounting the trandsducer?

Thank you

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Get the garmin striker 4 portable. I use that for fly in trips. Comes with a transducer suction cup to mount on a transom and the battery lasts along time. You can buy a spare battery if you can’t charge or bring a small solar charger.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Screw the transducer to a vertical 1×4 board and use a C-clamp to clamp the board to the transom. Most fly-in cabins now have solar power for the lights and water pump. Take along a few feet of red and black wire with alligator clips and recharge your battery off the cabin’s battery overnight.

Below is the box I made for my sonar and battery. Make your own to fit whatever unit you use.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0949-Sonar-box-03.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Ron, that’s nice engineering but seems like overkill when you can buy a complete portable unit with suction cup transducer for $150.

Would make sense if you were using the graph from your boat?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Would make sense if you were using the graph from your boat?

Of course that’s what I did. All it cost me was some scraps of plywood. Why buy a whole new unit if you have one you can adapt?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

So did anyone address the fly in your fish finder?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

So did anyone address the fly in your fish finder?

Brian,

It’s called a “bug” in your fish finders computer. But I heard that it was a moth not a fly. toast

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Screw the transducer to a vertical 1×4 board and use a C-clamp to clamp the board to the transom. Most fly-in cabins now have solar power for the lights and water pump. Take along a few feet of red and black wire with alligator clips and recharge your battery off the cabin’s battery overnight.

Below is the box I made for my sonar and battery. Make your own to fit whatever unit you use.

Ron, how did you run power to the graph? I didn’t realize I have an extra transducer for my garmin 73sv. I have the transducer mounted to a suction cup for the transom. I just need to figure out power? I assume you are running a fuse in-line?

I have a few portable batteries so this seems like and easy deal to get together.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Because I had an older sonar that went belly up, and I bought a new one of the same brand, I had an extra power cord. Otherwise, check Fleet Farm, I know they stock some power cords, don’t know if they have Garmin. Or there’s always Amazon. Fuse at the battery, red to red, black to black.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.