Fishable again?

• Matt M
    Blaine, MN

With the current state of the river and the forecast how long does everybody think it will take to get pool 4 fishable again? Trying to plan when I make the trip to pull my boat out of storage. I’m usually a little conservative and wont fish the river when it’s super high and fast.

Thanks, Matt

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Was hoping to get out this weekend but it does not look good. Lions levee water is the highest I have seen and closed and 494 closed also.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There’s fish in every nook and current seam right now.

Gotta find a landing

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190326191231903.jpg

bbuchho90

Flow will stay high until all of this water is out of here, early May most likely. Not a bad thing as long as the water starts to drop. We were out Sunday and saw whirlpools on the channel; not just rotating water, but actual funnels. Tough fishing, considering the fish are probably pushed into pretty consolidated spots right now. We tried just about everywhere and only found a few in one spot.

Out of curiosity, any pool 4 regulars have an “optimal flow” for the pool? I noticed the AHPS hydrographs arent showing KCFS like they usually do, but Red Wing is around 130k right now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you go to the graph for l&d #3 it will give the estimated cfs.

Some of those funnels are sunken nav markers.

ajw

I’ve never fished the Mississippi but I love river fishing. I actually love high water. Fish are predictable and like me in that I’m lazy. Find warm slack water or current seams where food seems easy and effort low. It ain’t rocket surgery

bbuchho90

If you go to the graph for l&d #3 it will give the estimated cfs.

Some of those funnels are sunken nav markers.

That would make sense, we saw several getting pushed under and popping back up, rinse and repeat. Makes a lot of noise!

No dice on the flow though, BK. I did finally notice this though:

“NOTICE:There is a service interruption for a number of stream gauges nationwide due to the Global Positioning System (GPS) Rollover that occurred on April 6 at 23:59 GMT. The National Weather Service is working with federal, state, and local partners to ensure those affected gauges obtain the necessary updates to resume data transmission. We apologize for the service interruption and hope to have the data restored as soon as possible.”

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

Is there a new place to look at historical flows and stage information? I used to look at rivergauges.com and you could run a simple report for flow and stage info. I understand the Corps now has an access to water resources website but I can’t find what I’m looking for on that page. I know this question has probably been asked a bunch but if someone could post a link that would be great.

bbuchho90

Flow will stay high until all of this water is out of here, early May most likely.

Or early June** ….. roll Been a tough spring on the river for walleyes with this high dirty water. With the most recent rain it’s forecasted to go up 2.5ft by Saturday/Sunday, some dams seeing moderate flood stage.

If you can find fish, they’re in a spot about the size of your boat and they’ll be hungry.

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Will there be any launches open on upper pool 4 this weekend???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They were hoping to keep Colvil open but it’s up in the air. Bay Point “should” stay open Giz.

The back channel is still closed as of Monday morning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I used to look at rivergauges.com and you could run a simple report for flow and stage info. I understand the Corps now has an access to water resources website but I can’t find what I’m looking for on that page.

The Corp told me about a year ago they still have the info and it’s ready for public viewing. Just there isn’t any funds to make it public.

I haven’t found anything to replace Rivergauges.com either and it’s annoying when your use to having it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.