First Rod Build

• nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

I have decided to take up rod building as a hobby to help pass the time this winter, there are only so many jigs to pour, spinner blades to paint etc,etc.
    I spent a lot of time on rod building forums and You Tube before deciding to give it a try. I placed my order for a supplies start up kit, blank etc. which included everything needed to build 1 rod. Here is where I have to give a shout out to MUDHOLE.COM. Supplies, tutorials…..everything you need in 1 location. I received my order yesterday and unpackaged it this morning, WOW, I’m really impressed with the quality of the packaging. Everything in zip lock bags, neatly organized and packed into boxes. If the time spent to ship items this securely is any indication of the quality of the product then I will not be disappointed.
    Anyways, my first build is going to be a Christmas present for my daughters boyfriend. They spend a lot of time outdoors hunting and fishing, I thought this would be a perfect gift. Color scheme is going to be their High School Alma Mater colors. I’ll post pictures of my progress, wish me luck!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Good luck, sir!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Mudhole has done well in their business model. The occasional order discrepancy or missing item has always been resolved quickly. Very good customer service

FryDog62

Have thought about a rod build this winter myself. Question for you that have experience… Is it tough to learn, prone to rookie mistakes initially? If so, would I be better off starting with a lesser rod to get the process down, or am I good to try a higher end project? My skill level is probably ok, but I’m a first-timer… Am thinking of a long, Medium-Light baitcasting rod for lighter hair jigs.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

if you have any questions or run into a snag give us a shout and we can help
    I have 40+ years experience and others will chime in with help also

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Have thought about a rod build this winter myself. Question for you that have experience… Is it tough to learn, prone to rookie mistakes initially? If so, would I be better off starting with a lesser rod to get the process down, or am I good to try a higher end project? My skill level is probably ok, but I’m a first-timer…

I would suggest starting with a kit and working yourself up from there
    it’s tons of enjoyment both building and catching with something you built

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

FryDog, I didn’t know you could flip a Booyah Boo in a 8″ hole with a 28″ rod? moon

Ripjiggen

I have a few friends that build rods and from my experience I will say don’t start. lol
    It becomes an obsession and they both spend more time building rods now than they do fishing. Glad they are my friends as I am there tester. lol But man alive is it tough to get these guys on the water or ice.
    I would say buy the kit build one and then you can build your next set up from there. That is what both my friends do and they make some pretty impressive rods.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Have thought about a rod build this winter myself. Question for you that have experience… Is it tough to learn, prone to rookie mistakes initially? If so, would I be better off starting with a lesser rod to get the process down, or am I good to try a higher end project? My skill level is probably ok, but I’m a first-timer… Am thinking of a long, Medium-Light baitcasting rod for lighter hair jigs.

I took a one day class were you built the rod, but we did not epoxy the wraps. The teacher took care of that. By my third build I was making all the groomsman’s gifts for a friends wedding. I wasn’t doing anything fancy, but they turned out nice, and caught fish as good as anything I had bought at the store. I think you can pick up the basics pretty quick since it’s not overly complicated. I’ve been poking around on Mudhole recently myself. I broke 2 Fenwicks this fall, and I need to get them replaced sooner than later.

finman

My advice would be to start using a larger diameter thread, size D. If you have big fingers, or poor eyesight, it will help- trust me! I’m afflicted by both!!

Brady Valberg

I have found rod building is not a hobby but rather an addiction…I too bought the startup kit but bought the ice kit…bad idea honestly the first 2 rods were something to be desired but it was a learning curve. I actually spoke with randy on the phone before I took the plunge and he warned me of the money pit and he was not wrong haha. I do thoroughly enjoy it tho I find it relaxing I am by no means an expert but have started making quit a few for my group of friends a couple of whom are guides and they absolutely love them so thats a plus. Options and possibilities are endless

FryDog62

FryDog, I didn’t know you could flip a Booyah Boo in a 8″ hole with a 28″ rod? moon

With my eyes closed and one arm tied behind my back ;)

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If you have patience and any near by resources to buy local, go big out of the gate. Worse thing that happens is you strip a guide or two off and reward before epoxying the wraps. Just talk to one of the more experienced people you have available for the tips and tricks.also search for previous posts on here. We have all loaded a ton of info and pics

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I paid 125.00 to take a class at the old wild goose in Rochester with Mike Fisher good learning experience build a rod and take it home. have used mudhole but now just buy all my guides reel seats and custom turned wood handles (all kinds of wood. cedar is my favorite) talk to new owner Jeff I believe it is minske bait tackle and custom rods good luck I have built 10 so far

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I took a class and built a rod about 5 years ago. It was a great experience. I started to think about getting all setup to start building rods, but for various reason I held off. The main reason was I could easily see this becoming a rather time consuming hobby. At that time and currently I decided I’d rather spend my free time fishing and spending time with my family. I’m sure when I get closer to and into retirement rod building will be something I get into. Good luck in your new hobby. Keep us posted on how it goes for you.

gonefishin

Great timing to the op on the post.

Two years ago I built a rod at Wild Goose with their help, used a cheap blank but splurged on rod guides. Don’t like this rod at all and will pull off the $100 worth of guides for a future build. I would start with a cheap build expecting to maybe be a throw away rod.

Then this paste winter bought an ice kit through Mudhole that included the wrapper, epoxies, etc and built 3 ice rods with my grandsons, age 9 and 12. They basically did all the work, from reaming the handles to gluing them on, to wrapping the guides, and finally the epoxy. XMas gifts for their father.

Now I am about to place an order with Mudhole for two casting rods. To me there is as much fun picking all the components as it will be to build. I have spent the last week trying to match up the handle, blank, guides, line wraps, etc.

By chance does anyone know of any place local to the Twin Cities that stocks blanks? It would be nice to be able to hold/feel the blanks before purchasing. Also Mudhole charges about $25 to ship a blank. So if choose $75 blank, $35 for handle/seat, $35 – 100 for guides, and $25 for shipping, cost can add up pretty quick.

I wouldn’t look at this as a chance to save money on a rod, but rather something fun to do and fill the time during the winter.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There use to be a place called Midwest rod and Reel in Prior lake, I believe I saw that they moved to Lakeville. They use to carry lots of building supplies and blanks. Not sure if they are still in business. One of the owners use to go south in winters.

munchy
    NULL

Have thought about a rod build this winter myself. Question for you that have experience… Is it tough to learn, prone to rookie mistakes initially? If so, would I be better off starting with a lesser rod to get the process down, or am I good to try a higher end project?

My first rod build was around $400. Now, I wouldn’t recommend going that costly but I wouldn’t say its a good idea to start with a cheapo you’ll never want to use either. I watched a handful of how-tos and read through the big rod building forum. Did it turn out perfect no, but for my first rod it was definitely a learning experience and good enough to use.

The thing about rod building, there isn’t much you can screw up that isn’t fixable one way or another. Unless you break or damage the blank, then, you’re screwed. doah

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Look up Gary Wicks out of Anoka he has a shop in his house and has 100’s of blanks you can hold and feel before you buy.

gonefishin

thanks, I’ll check that out.

ekruger01

Great timing to the op on the post.

Two years ago I built a rod at Wild Goose with their help, used a cheap blank but splurged on rod guides. Don’t like this rod at all and will pull off the $100 worth of guides for a future build. I would start with a cheap build expecting to maybe be a throw away rod.

Then this paste winter bought an ice kit through Mudhole that included the wrapper, epoxies, etc and built 3 ice rods with my grandsons, age 9 and 12. They basically did all the work, from reaming the handles to gluing them on, to wrapping the guides, and finally the epoxy. XMas gifts for their father.

Now I am about to place an order with Mudhole for two casting rods. To me there is as much fun picking all the components as it will be to build. I have spent the last week trying to match up the handle, blank, guides, line wraps, etc.

By chance does anyone know of any place local to the Twin Cities that stocks blanks? It would be nice to be able to hold/feel the blanks before purchasing. Also Mudhole charges about $25 to ship a blank. So if choose $75 blank, $35 for handle/seat, $35 – 100 for guides, and $25 for shipping, cost can add up pretty quick.

I wouldn’t look at this as a chance to save money on a rod, but rather something fun to do and fill the time during the winter.

Midwest is no longer around but thorne, and DH both carry blanks in stock.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.