First Ice Prediction

• Alex W
    Bangor, WI

There was some skim ice duck hunting here on the Miss this weekend as well… temps in low 20’s and teens will help move things along Thanksgiving week.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Still noticed a few Timberdoodles flying around pre dawn while sitting on a deer stand (Nov 14th). This is about 50 miles west of Duluth, Mn. Seeing they eat worms they should have been gone at least 2-3 weeks ago.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

December 5th, small lakes in NE SD.

I sure hope so anyways.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Revising my prediction. I’m guessing in 2.5 weeks I will be able to punch my first hole in the Mississippi backwaters! Forecast is looking better and better!

I’m going with Dec 12th around La Crosse as painful as that is.

Duke M

The guys who got me back into ice fishin’ in SW WI told me they are usually on the ice by Pearl Harbor Day. Last year I was on 4-5″ in Stoddard on Nov. 18th and frankly I got skunked. Never even pulled a mark. Water was murky, last swans had just left and I don’t think the fish had made their transition to Winter areas at that point. Wyalusing on the 21st, never pulled a mark.
    So I do not fear a more gradual transition to Winter conditions and hope for Dec. 7th but feel the 14th may be more realistic.

lhprop1
    Eagan

For the metro, my prediction is November 29 . . .

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

At least 2.5 weeks on the Canadian side but that’s OK hunting season doesn’t close until 15 Dec. No ice on the ponds 2 days ago heavy snow now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m guessing mid Dec around the metro.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Local lake froze over tonight. 1.5″ Rock skipped across the ice and didn’t break through.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Sat in the stand Saturday morning and watched a small slough slowly lock up. Sunday afternoon many of our smaller lakes were locked shore to shore. A bit mild today and tomorrow, but without rain I stand a good chance for fishable ice somewhere next weekend! woot

A quick note for the flowages around here!! The warm late fall weather and a ton of rain had the flowages dumping a lot of water even after the fall draw-downs. With the extra run-off and the flowages drawn down, likely there’s some pretty good current flows creating early ice hazards. ALWAYS be careful-especially in a weird year like this!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Warm weather and heavy wet snow ruined all the ice that formed so far.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Now the question becomes…. how far north do I have to go?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Now the question becomes…. how far north do I have to go?

For this coming weekend. Canada, bring on boat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Warm weather and heavy wet snow ruined all the ice that formed so far.

Can you hear that?

It’s my bubble bursting. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Yesterday right on shore, I was standing on close to 3″ on one lake. This weekend should have several options here in Ely, with only a few lakes iced up enough before then.

Don Miller
    Onamia

Mille Lacs has ice in front of the landing in Cove Bay. But on the main lake south shore not even a sign of ice.

Bruce Keister

I’m gonna guess around December 20th up around lake vermilion area,Temps here don’t get below 20 degrees for quite awhile, last year we were driving trucks out on December 10th, best day of ice fishing I’ve ever had, put atleast 50 walleyes on the ice and at least 30 of em were over 22 inches, day I’ll never forget

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.