First Ice Prediction

• Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Looking at the long range forecast, it doesn’t look promising for November ice. The worst part is that it doesn’t even look good for duck migrations either. Last season I was on the for the first time on November 17th, the earliest I have ever been down in my neck of the woods. Hoping I can get everyone’s prediction for first ice just to keep me optimistic! Unfortunately, mine is less than optimistic as I am predicting DECEMBER 13th in the La Crosse area.

Sam Slaby
    Sioux Falls

Good luck Wiener! Actually looking at accuweather, that’s about what I’m expecting for us in SD. Second week of December. Maybe Jack Frost will come through with his buddy Old Man Winter and bring us some ice making temps. I was on 5″ of ice last year at this time!

crappielover89

the past three years i watched as everyone up north and back east got to talk about all the awesome ice they got to fish and the long season. while here in utah we didn’t have much ice till christmas and it was gone by february. well glad to say that there is ice in the uinta mountains and i get to fish this weekend. sorry for those of you who have to wait. i know your pain just glad for once its not mine…

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

the past three years i watched as everyone up north and back east got to talk about all the awesome ice they got to fish and the long season. while here in utah we didn’t have much ice till christmas and it was gone by february. well glad to say that there is ice in the uinta mountains and i get to fish this weekend. sorry for those of you who have to wait. i know your pain just glad for once its not mine…

Like salt to a wound doah crazy flame

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I’m guessing it will be close to 12/19 before I can get on the ice in southern WI, probably 1 week earlier for mid to northern WI

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I hope it isn’t until January the Croix/sippi ice up.

Last year I was ice fishing by November 16 and by Christmas day the ice was too shotty to walk on.

A month of great fishing yet to come

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

A year ago yesterday I was relieved to see that the dump of snow we got hit just before the main lakes locked up in our area. They’d been trying to freeze for the past few days leading up to it…by the weekend we were locked up and making ice, and by deer season I was drilling through 8″ of the most beautiful clear hard ice I’d seen in a long time.
    It’s in the 50’s here today this year, with only a few nights in the 10-day that will even give us frost. Even so, highs stay in the 40’s…I really wouldn’t want to try and predict the ice up this year here. It certainly won’t be deer season…I’m crossing my fingers that mid-December will give me good ice, but lose a little hope every week that goes by this warm. I’m getting itchy…on the other hand, it’s some GREAT weather to get the dog out looking for grouse, and I’m still picking up a fish here and there in the soft water. I bet the muskie guys are in heaven!

mozy
    LQP

I’m guessing December 10th. St Paul ice show will be packed.

tucrs
    NW Metro

December 20th.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I was doing a project near Steamboat, CO Oct 17th through the 28th, then up to 8500 feet in the mountains for elk 31st through the 7th of Nov. Sure was different to see the mad scramble for everyone to get their boats off of the mountain lakes like Granby and into storage. We went from near 70’s to snow and ice in 2 days. Then while hunting we had 60’s for 4 days then single digits. Went from a quick bath in a mountain stream to ice covered over night.

Being in southern WI, we get the jet stream varying above and below us. Cold and almost frozen to warm up and thaw, then freeze again. I don’t count on safe local ice until after Christmas

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

The way things are going, I’m going to guess about a week before permanents need to be removed.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

LOTW water temps are only down to a tick above 44 degrees.
    Come on Mother Nature look at the calendar and blow in some cold air.

Mason Clark

Looking like the 10th or 11th straight west of the cities an hour and a half.
    Hopefully something changes up and it happens to be the weekend before that!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

5pm tonight, in my cocktail jester

Here in the metro I’m betting the weekend before Christmas. Hoping the weekend before that in the Fergus/Brainerd latitude.

I’m not much of an early ice guy, very conservative, so it might be even later for me. Sunday looks to be another gorgeous October day.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

For north-central WI I’m going to guess around the 17th of December. But I would not be surprised at all if it is Christmas before I have good ice on the lakes. I’m a pessimist so I hope I’m wrong and we get a wicked cold snap shortly.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Andy Fiolka wrote:</div>
    Next week?  :whistling:

There’s got to be ice…somewhere, right?!

I feel like you two have a trick up your sleeve and have an idea of how far you’ll be traveling to reach ice next week…

Lee Russ

Here in NE Ohio, we sometimes don’t get fishable ice. I’m hoping for the week after Christmas , but the sooner the better. Was 58° here today.

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

Dec 17th. Its a Thursday

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Please don’t search out ice next week. Late fall walleyes open water is my vote!

I’m loving the weather, as much as I love my otter, I love my boat waaayy more. Should be a great next month on the river. That being said, holiday vacation without ice fishing seems odd.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Please don’t search out ice next week. Late fall walleyes open water is my vote!

I think you might approve of what we have planned for week 1. waytogo

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I feel like you two have a trick up your sleeve and have an idea of how far you’ll be traveling to reach ice next week…

If the forecast doesn’t change soon there’s no question that we’ll be taking a long drive to get on ice for the first time. And there’s a very good chance that if we do that we’ll still be mixing on an open water episode or two in the weeks that follow. I just don’t see us having ice here in MN any time soon.

likes2fish

I’ve heard of a few people getting out on the ice out in Colorado the past few days.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

The good thing is, a lot can change weather wise in a matter of a few weeks. I was duck hunting in a long sleeve last year on November 8th, went to Grand Rapids for 5 days for work and when I got back, I was on 4″ of ice. I’m not worried yet or a doomsday theorist! The last few years of early ice have been the exception down here, not the rule.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I was going to say, this must impact the IDO Schedule. There literally isn’t ice anywhere within 1000 miles. Its crazy.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

If it’s warm just keep fishing from the boat. I take what the lord brings me. So far it’s been warmer than usual.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Colorado has (or had) ice up in the mountain lakes. My cousin has been sending me pics of brook trouts through the ice making me jealous.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Revising my prediction. I’m guessing in 2.5 weeks I will be able to punch my first hole in the Mississippi backwaters! Forecast is looking better and better!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Hard to say. There was skim ice on the beaver ponds and shallow lake bays in the morning this weekend (on the Canadian Border) despite the warm daytime temps and nighttime lows in the high 20’s.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.