Feral cats ?

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I once asked a private landowner if I could hunt pheasants on his property. His reply, “sure, just as long as you shoot the 4 C’s, “coons, cocks, coyotes, and cats.”

stevenoak

Growing up, the rule was. If they are mousing or eating sparrows, starlings or pigeons around the buildings, let them be. If you see one hunting away from there. Time for a dirt nap.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

so……. are these ferel cats an issue in say the lower 2/3 of the state???

i hunt in the chippewa national forest 99% of the time and never see anything remotely close to them. an occasional fox, squirrels, racoons porcupines but thats about it????

Riverrat

I think you cant find a law because it doesn’t exist in the state regulations. The most official thing I found against it was a facebook post. Seems like only 13 states have cat specific laws. This sounds like a “check your local regulations” territory here.

Brian Bezanson

Feral cats = Ditch Panthers.
    I had a friend that was a biologist for the DNR. He had done predator surveys in East Central MN. As he told it, an attractant is put on a post in the middle of an area with bare ground. The tracks that are left over night are then classified and recorded. Feral cats were far and away #1. He shot every cat he saw, generally in a ditch, farther than 1/4 mile from an active farm. My father in law would thin out the barn cats when he saw one leaving the farm yard and start across the fields.
    Great Horned Owls are serious Ditch Panther control agents. Silent and deadly killers.

CaptainMusky

The number one predator of pheasants I was told is feral cats. I havent run across any in many years but man when I did my dog sure didnt like it when it was attached to his snout!

JEREMY
    BP

Attachments:

IMG_3006.jpeg

That dont say MNDNR or State of Mn am i gonna get a ticket from the federated humane society?

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Attachments:

IMG_3006.jpeg

That dont say MNDNR or State of Mn am i gonna get a ticket from the federated humane society?

No that is why I posted the statue as well.
    I am not even saying if it is lawful or not just posting the information I could find.

Riverrat

Its not illegal to use a cannon, and its not illegal to remove feral cats, but the exploding cannonballs might get the ATF’s attention. If a person could mortar a cat with a non exploding ball though we should put that on tik tok and get mad respect from the Chinese.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The number one predator of pheasants I was told is feral cats. I havent run across any in many years but man when I did my dog sure didnt like it when it was attached to his snout!

They will wipe out an entire clutch of chicks given the chance.

I can always tell when my dog is hot on the scent of something other than a bird. The hair on the back of her neck stands up. Its almost always a feral cat with the occasional coon or yote. Luckily she has never run into a porky or a skunk.

I favor having more grouse, quail, and pheasants on the landscape. Not more cats.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I favor having more grouse, quail, and pheasants on the landscape. Not more cats.
    [/quote]

I agree with that.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

HEY, HEY, HEY!!!
    Luv my feral cats.
    The calico aka honey badger showed up 14 years ago eating gravel off the driveway at -20 with her ears froze 1/2 off. I’ve seen her take down rabbits larger than her and grab bats out of mid air.
    Orange cat aka daddy long legs, showed up a couple months ago. I got him in the house about 10 feet the other day and honey badger ran him out the door.

Attachments:
    1. Daddy-Long-legs-scaled.jpg

2. Cat-1-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oops

Attachments:
    1. Honey-badger-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

i hunt in the chippewa national forest 99% of the time and never see anything remotely close to them. an occasional fox, squirrels, racoons porcupines but thats about it????

I saw a few up there over the years when I was deer hunting. They’d be walking right through the woods like any other wild animal.

I saw all those other critters you speak of too. I also saw fisher, mink, and real kitty, a bobcat.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Interesting article on Yahoo today related to cats and what they eat. I thought some of the previous info provided above was BS but this confirmed some of the same stats. Killing 2 billion birds a year was 1 of them. We have 2 house cats (declawed) that enjoy going in our fenced in back yard. I’ve never been a big cat fan but have changed a bit since my daughters insisted on getting cats. I would probably have a tough time pulling the trigger on a ferel cat.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/menu-cat-goes-probably-more-185508023.html

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Interesting article on Yahoo today related to cats and what they eat. I thought some of the previous info provided above was BS but this confirmed some of the same stats. Killing 2 billion birds a year was 1 of them. We have 2 house cats (declawed) that enjoy going in our fenced in back yard. I’ve never been a big cat fan but have changed a bit since my daughters insisted on getting cats. I would probably have a tough time pulling the trigger on a ferel cat.

I was always the same. I didn’t like cats until one was brought to my house. He ended up being a great companion, he also loved killing rabbits in the yard. He was more of a dog then the dog. I just whistle or call his name and he would come out from below my deck or in my boat if he was out side. He killed more then 50 bunnies in our yard in 1 summer. Plus he came home with the biggest opposum I have ever seen. He passed away a couple years ago and was replaced with 2 more. They don’t fill his shoes but they are great companions

ajw

They get a pass if they have a collar on… because I have stupid feelings but if not – I am in favor of saving the birds

Michael Best

I can’t answer the legality question.
    However I have called in a few coyotes using cat distress on my e call.
    Makes you wonder how many turn into coyote ooop.

Deuces

I don’t ever recall hunting threads getting worked up about all these feral cats that are marching around? Do they just dissappear? Can’t imagine owners keep em indoors all of a sudden come hunting time?

I’m all for plucking off nuisance critters, cats included I just wonder how many there actually are?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do they just dissappear? Can’t imagine owners keep em indoors all of a sudden come hunting time?

I’m all for plucking off nuisance critters, cats included I just wonder how many there actually are?

These aren’t pets. They’re stray roaming invasive predators. You don’t put what is essentially a wild animal inside your house. At least I wouldn’t. I’m not talking about fluffy the indoor house cat.

As for how many there actually are, too many. They don’t belong on the landscape as free ranging animals.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Attachments:
    1. 4959b5447a386ac0bdcd5df200f4e48c39a9e20e52d7655a8a43bc3fe206fcfb_1.jpg

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m heartless.

I like the birds. So maybe not totally heartless. But I do not tolerate pests. Those allowances were there before for good reason and I’ll just bring out the quiet methods if they change the literature.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I don’t ever recall hunting threads getting worked up about all these feral cats that are marching around? Do they just dissappear? Can’t imagine owners keep em indoors all of a sudden come hunting time?

Lots and lots of them. I don’t see them in the woods very often. But always all over town and out side the neighborhood. Once that family cat goes out side with out a collar on, I would consider it feral.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This thread seems like a solid place for another .17hmr vs .22lr debate whistling

Jimmy Jones

This thread seems like a solid place for another .17hmr vs .22lr debate whistling

One of CCI’s quiet rounds took care of business a week or so ago.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If I ever get one anytime soon again when I’m chasing roosters I’m gonna post a photo of it laying on the tail gate right with the roosters. wave

Coletrain27

If I ever get one anytime soon again when I’m chasing roosters I’m gonna post a photo of it laying on the tail gate right with the roosters. wave

rotflol rotflol rotflol

27eyeguy

Cat, the other white meat.

MX1825

whistling

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20231226-220037_Chrome.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.