One of my favorites.

Attachments:
    1. free-cat.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

shhhhhhh. He’s sleeping.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

so……. are these ferel cats an issue in say the lower 2/3 of the state???

i hunt in the chippewa national forest 99% of the time and never see anything remotely close to them. an occasional fox, squirrels, racoons porcupines but thats about it????

That’s probably because of all the wild dogs the natives let roam from those fine communities they live in there in the Chippewa.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I don’t hate cats, but not a cat guy. Any cat wandering and roaming our property gets a dirty nap. A few neighbors actually paid bounties on them years ago.
    I know a guy who lives on the edge of a nearby small town. The town line runs through his yard. He can legally shoot guns on one side of his yard and places cat bait accordingly. He normally keeps a running tally of how many he gets a year and is generally between 80-100. The sheriff has been called many times and they just chuckle about it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

cry cry cry The one I was trying to get in the house just got hit by a car. cry cry cry

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

Sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate that you could not make it work out. A few years ago we had one get hit before we could bring it indoors.

Fortunately, we don’t live in an area where people feel it is necessary or appropriate to kill a cat just because it wandered onto their property. If one of mine happened to get out and I found out a neighbor decided to “take care of it”, we would have a very serious discussion.

jimmysiewert

Unfortunately I live in area whereas it is a dumping ground for cats no longer wanted and because of a great population of upland birds, a Mecca for feral cats. Since November alone I have trapped 5 coons and 5 feral cats! If I leave them go unchecked – there won’t be a bird within miles of here so I have no problem keeping the population in check.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate that you could not make it work out. A few years ago we had one get hit before we could bring it indoors.

Fortunately, we don’t live in an area where people feel it is necessary or appropriate to kill a cat just because it wandered onto their property. If one of mine happened to get out and I found out a neighbor decided to “take care of it”, we would have a very serious discussion.

I agree with the serious discussion part. It should start with you apologizing for allowing your cat to enter his property and an admission that you are the one at fault, not them or the cat, for the death of the cat.

CaptainMusky

Yeah there is really no excuse from anyone’s pet whether it be cat, dog or whatever not staying on their own property. Cat owners who let them roam freely are a real problem.

Kraig5858

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>thalweg87 wrote:</div>

I agree with the serious discussion part. It should start with you apologizing for allowing your cat to enter his property and an admission that you are the one at fault, not them or the cat, for the death of the cat.

It’s apparent you think it’s ok to kill if you don’t like whats happening. How about if my 2 year old happened to go outside and go into my neighbors yard?

CaptainMusky

It’s apparent you think it’s ok to kill if you don’t like whats happening. How about if my 2 year old happened to go outside and go into my neighbors yard?

Lets not get carried away here.

Jimmy Jones

Why would you allow your two-year-old to go/be outdoors unattended?

Kraig5858

Yeah there is really no excuse from anyone’s pet whether it be cat, dog or whatever not staying on their own property. Cat owners who let them roam freely are a real problem.

What’s the real problem? In your opinion.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So your comparing a human child to a cat? shock

CaptainMusky

The problem is the owner of the pet that wanders off. No excuse for that. I dont care if its a cat or dog. My dog will not even leave my yard. That is how any pet owner should train their animal. What if your dog or cat left your property and bit someone?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Feral cats are destructive invasive predators. They do not belong on the landscape decimating bird populations. This is well documented.

If you have cat as a pet, be responsible for it. Allowing it to roam the countryside, suburbs, or wherever unchecked is irresponsible and a recipe for death in some locations whether that be by coyote, automobile, or firearm.

I don’t allow my dog to freely roam the neighborhood. I would expect the same out of a cat owner. Best to keep fluffy inside.

Let’s not confuse someone’s pet with a stray or feral cat here either. There’s a big difference.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I don’t care if it’s a cat, dog, ferret, goat, or parakeet…keep your pet on your property and know that you are liable for what it does or what happens to it at ALL times.

Am I out shooting cats/dogs/animals for just stepping on my property? No, but I’ll never let it go unaddressed. I will make it known to the pet’s owner that they get one “warning” and then after that the animal will be chained to the nearest tree until the local deputy comes to take it to the county pound.

If a neighbor pet makes it onto our property and gets run over by a tractor, truck, or something else happens to it will I feel bad at all? No. If said animal hurts or bothers my daughters, it will get the SSS treatment.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’m not sure if we’ve jumped the shark or entered the twilight zone but that is one of the more bizarre analogies I’ve ever heard.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Depends on if it’s Feral.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I bet it would be serious. I would seriously look you in the eyes and ask you why you didn’t have control of your animal and/or why you think it’s OK to let a predator run loose killing as it sees fit. Then I tell you where it is buried. smirk

Dogs, I haven’t killed a dog in years. Last dog I killed was chasing the horses. Last dog I shot to wound kept coming in our yard in an attempt to fight our dogs. If you let them get about 40-50 yards out and light them up with #8 shot. They usually get the message and steer clear of your property.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

For clarification –
    That wasn’t my statement.

Jimmy Jones

Not that long ago when we actually had snow, I could go out in the morning and see cat tracks along with the rabbit tracks. We never see a cat during the daytime so the cats are roaming at night. House cats [pets] don’t roam at night, they’re all cuddled up with the owner or the kids. I’ve got a live trap I’ll set with a can of tuna to see if any cat decides to partake in a free meal. If it wears a collar, I’ll call animal control. If no collar, well…..

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

For clarification –
    That wasn’t my statement.

Sorry, I didn’t mean for it to quote you. I thought I did my due diligence.

Kraig5858

If you feel it’s ok to shoot anything that comes on your property that’s not doing any damage or is doing minimal damage, how do you feel about someone who shoots a deer, moose, elk or pheasant that happens to be on it?

My opinion is that some here would say that person should be prosecuted to the highest extent.

So why do (Some of you) feel it’s ok to kill some ones pet (because you think it’s a threat to you or is causing damage to something you own? When was the last time a cat attacked you or damaged property for anyone you know personally.

I know some one who was attacked by a moose, (In Alaska)

CaptainMusky

If you feel it’s ok to shoot anything that comes on your property that’s not doing any damage or is doing minimal damage, how do you feel about someone who shoots a deer, moose, elk or pheasant that happens to be on it?

My opinion is that some here would say that person should be prosecuted to the highest extent.

So why do (Some of you) feel it’s ok to kill some ones pet (because you think it’s a threat to you or is causing damage to something you own? When was the last time a cat attacked you or damaged property for anyone you know personally.

There are seasons for those animals. If shot outside of those seasons then yes, they should be prosecuted.
    If its someone’s pet, it should be treated as one by the owner and keep it where it belongs.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I should have clarified, the friend shooting all the feral cats is one of the biggest birds lovers you’ll ever meet. He has lots of feeders and houses in and around his couple acre yard. Everyone around knows his deal. If I recall, if there’s a cat in the yard wearing a collar, he’ll chase it off and if he can find the owner he’ll give them a warning. After that it’s fair game.

He’s passionate about birds and can fill you up with statistics on how many birds a typical cat will kill a week and then how many birds he figures he’s saved.

JEREMY
    BP

When the owner 2 houses away leaves his cats roam free all day and night and I kneel in cat crap in my garden and my kids get it on their hands in their sandbox and my new 65k dollar truck has cat prints on the hood should I just keep taking little mittens home and say sorry for letting your cat get my trucks paint on his claws?

When was the last time a cat attacked you or damaged property for anyone you know personally.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Your arguments should be used in school’s when they teach children about logical fallacies, straw mans, red herrings, etc.

A total disconnect from reality.

There are scientific journals published by hundreds of PhD’s proving the damage feral cats cause, and also published by state agencies. It’s not a subjective argument.

Personally, I am a fan of the Dead Air Mask served over a portion of StarKist

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.