simple yet delicious pan seared tenderloin

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

With gun deer season starting tomorrow, I thought I’d share my favorite recipe for making the tenderloin (which I enjoyed last night) after being fortunate enough to harvest a deer with my bow.

start by cutting the loin into medallions about an inch and a half thick.

add about a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil (depending on how much you are making) and get your pan ripping hot.

as soon as the oil starts to smoke, toss in the veni and season as you wish. I’m a huge fan of lawrys. If you’ve got some onions and/or shrooms in the house, by all means, get it in there.

Sear both sides and cook to medium rare.

now the important part. once your venison has been removed from the pan, pour about a cup of red wine into the pan and scrape up all the blackened bits up with spatula, stir and allow to simmer. for a more mellow flavor, you can water down the wine or better yet, I used a mixture of about half Merlot and half Brandy last night and it was freaking awesome. Reduce this down until you get a sauce like consistency and drizzle over your medallions.

enjoy with a few of these and you’ve got a meal fit for a king.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Insert mouth drooling dude here!

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Did you say BRANDY??? I’m in.

ap2049

Add a couple of pats of butter at the end to finish the sauce. It makes a big difference.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

A little garlic in front along with a little butter in the olive oil and agree with cpetey’s suggestion to the butter to finish the reduction at the end!!! MEDRare is the Key!!!

Mark

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Add a couple of pats of butter at the end to finish the sauce. It makes a big difference.

I will definitely give that a try

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

X3 on the butter. Adds a bit of richness to the sauce….

whittsend

Use the brandy or Tequila or Jack, add some onions (or camalize them ahead of time, then add them to the sauce) and add a few tablespoons full of brown sugar… Reduce to a nice glaze, and you’ve got yourself a sweet little caramelized onion topping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.