Lead Core Newbie

• fredbart
    St. Paul

I keep reading about trolling and “lead core”. I am completly unfamiliar with this fishing technique, equipment, etc. Can you make any book or weblinks that I can use to innitiate myself.

Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Leadcore line is a line that has a continuous filament of lead running through the center or “core” of the line.

Here’s the discription from cabelas.com for this product.

“Lines have a sink rate of two yards out to equal one-foot in depth. The color-coded line is made of nylon braided over a lead core, and it is ideal for deep-water trolling. With the line changing color every 10 yards, you know how deep you’re fishing. Lubricated and heat set finish.”

This type of line excells in applications where an angler wants to fish with a minimum amount of line out to achieve the desired depth or when an angler needs to get a crankbait deeper with leadcore than is possible on regular braided lines. For instance, it is possible to fish a #5 shad rap down to 25+ feet on lead core line where it is nearly impossible to get that same plug deeper than 10′ on regular line.

One of the drawbacks of lead core line is that due to its diameter trolling speeds in excess of 2.5 – 3.0 MPH will cause the line to “lift” which greatly reduces the functionality of the product.

River anglers love the stuff because it allows an angler to fish with a minimum amount of line out to the plug which makes it easier to follow contours and depth changes.

Another drawback to the product is the “fun factor.” Lead core is very functional but is NOT much fun to fish, in my opinion. The line is heavy and cumbersome and rods used to fish lead tend to be longer and heavier than rods used to fish in long line applications.

Any other questions, just holler.

jhalfen

If you’re looking to get started, your basic leadcore setup starts with a large capacity levelwind reel. Lots of guys (including me) use linecounters, like a Diawa sealine 47. Spool up 1-2 layers of mono backing (Trilene XT 10 lb), then as much lead as the reel will hold…mine hold 8 colors comfortably. Attach a small barrel swivel to the end of the lead and then a leader….6-10 feet of mono or a braided superline…then a crosslock snap. When you tie knots to lead, you push the sheath back 3-4″ and snip off the lead strand. Then tie knots with the lead free sheath as you would normally.

I run a variety of rods, including St Croix 8′ pro glass telescoping trolling rods (If I’m running only 2 leadcore setups), or a pair of 10’6′ St Croix’s and a pair of Scheels “shortys” which are 5’6″ when I’m going to run 4 leadcore setups…this helps to avoid messy leadcore tangles.

When you’re ready to fish, let out lead until your lure just starts to tick bottom. Then, reel up a couple of cranks on the reel and you’re fishing. I like my lures to tick bottom on occasion to stir up some sediment and attract attention. The primary advantage of lead, as James said, is to get your lures to the bottom on as short a line as possible…this helps you to make more precise trolling passes over structure, without hoping that baits that are 150+ feet behind the boat are actually passing over they structure you’re trying to fish.

Contrary to James’ feelings, I really enjoy pulling lead. It may not have the sex appeal of pitching ultralight jigs to shallow structure, but it is darn effective!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Contrary to James’ feelings, I really enjoy pulling lead. It may not have the sex appeal of pitching ultralight jigs to shallow structure, but it is darn effective!

Great info, Jason!

And as for my feelings about lead core… don’t let them dissuade you from trying the technique. I got burned out on it when it was a staple of my guide business when I used to hit Pepin hard instead of spending all my time in the river like I do now.

bigschtik
    Byron MN

I tried lead for the 1st time last week. One thing I noticed is that I was letting out 150′ feet of line to get down about 16ft. I was trolling about 2mph. I had good results but didnt think i would need to let out that much line???? Are there different wieghts of line and such that I should try?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James when are you going to come out with the summer wingdam fishing instructional video? Also I could use a river trolling instructional video!

Dezurik and I begin filming on the wingie video this coming tuesday.

But let’s keep that between you and me.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a question that has been bugging me since the first time I seen a line counter reel spooled with leadcore on sale at Gander as a rod/reel combo. What is the purpose of having leadcore on a line counter reel When you run leadcore, you already have the colors to tell you the depth you need to be so why have a line counter reel. I am sure there is a good reason, but I can’t think of one

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

A guy can certainly fish lead w/o the counters so I think the answer just comes down to convenience and maximizing the precision of the amount of line played out. When I fish lead core I’m running a boat and dropping back a minimum of two rods at a time. I don’t want to have to “count colors” as the lines are playing off multiple reels or try and remember if “that rods was yellow plus five feet” and the other rod was “purple plus five feet” or if it the other way around. Plus a linecounter allows you to get exact down to the foot where going with the color method you’re estimating increments that fall within a particular 10 yard colored section.

All these reason are fairly minor ones. A cheap level wind will get the job done no doubt about it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That makes sense about multiple rods and more precise control I have limited use of it and it was all on the river where depths were not real deep. I did like using it though

fredbart
    St. Paul

Thanks.. Getting started what I am hearing is get a larger reel with a line counter- dont over fuss the cost.. make sure it get the job done. then get a basic lead core line. Regarding rods.. do you have any suggestions for one that takes care of the basics without taking care of the wallet>

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Regarding rods.. do you have any suggestions for one that takes care of the basics without taking care of the wallet>

You’ll be happy to know that glass rods work very well with leadcore. I’d go for about an 8′ medium action glass rod and these can be had for easily under $50. I’ve had no problems with the DepthMaster rods from Cabela’s.

CR

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s definitely no reason to break the bank on a lead core rod. Dean is selling a line of lead rods call Peregrine. They’re a great value and work very well.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks.. Getting started what I am hearing is get a larger reel with a line counter

I’d suggest a Diawa 47 for the capacity needed to hold a full 10 colors of lead core line. If you do opt to go to a non-counting level wind reel Penn makes some very good reels with the needed line capacity.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I run the Cabelas depthmaster 8’6″, I like them alot. Cabelas also has a combo sale right now with a accudepth 47 & rod for $54. I bought two for my lead setups & just love them. Last year I ran sealine 27 with 5 colors of lead on each real with alot of success but I found that alot times I wanted more lead & the 27 where just to small of a real to do any more lead than 5 colors. Also I don’t know if anyone has talk about leaders on your lead core. I run 15′ leaders of 10 lb. cajun red line, but I’ve also ran fireline & 10 lb. xt for leaders in alot of different leader lengths. As Jason said in an early post lead is so much fun to run & I agree totally with him.

Trolling Combo

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

James has good reason to use the line counters reels. I still get by just fine counting colors. I have 2 of these Shimano reels that are tuff as nails, have clickers and the price is right!

The 200’s hold 10 colors.

Shimano Reels

-J.

fredbart
    St. Paul

James: You mentioned that the lead core tends to ride higher in current. Does this tendency preclude effectively fishing lead core in more heavily currented situtations. For example lets say I am fishing Pool 4 in the spring and would like to troll. Would bottom bouncing actually be a more prefered way to fish>

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James: You mentioned that the lead core tends to ride higher in current. Does this tendency preclude effectively fishing lead core in more heavily currented situtations. For example lets say I am fishing Pool 4 in the spring and would like to troll. Would bottom bouncing actually be a more prefered way to fish>

Here’s a little snippit of my post to refresh.

Quote:

One of the drawbacks of lead core line is that due to its diameter trolling speeds in excess of 2.5 – 3.0 MPH will cause the line to “lift” which greatly reduces the functionality of the product.

River anglers love the stuff because it allows an angler to fish with a minimum amount of line out to the plug which makes it easier to follow contours and depth changes.

Lead core SHINES in current when trolling speeds are kept under 3 mph. When you really start to get the boat moving the large diameter of the lead core line will create water resistence and lift which will force the angler to let our more lead line to compensate. As you get much over 3 mph the effectiveness of lead core to achieve deep trolling depths begins to quickly fade.

So the answer to your question is that lead core excells in trolling situations in current when high trolling speeds are not needed. I would opt for the lead core over the bottom bouncer in nearly every situation I can think of off hand.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Mark thanks for the link…I just bought two…I’ve been waiting for the sale.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Mark thanks for the link…I just bought two…I’ve been waiting for the sale.

Jeff you will love those cabelas rods, which one did you buy?

krisko
    Durand, WI

I have two already….I want two for lead and two for long lining… I have the 47’s and just bought the 57’s…These things work great and take a lot of punishment.

I usually get a flier from them on sales and didn’t get one so I forgot about them until reading this…so thanks.

fredbart
    St. Paul

Thank you. As we move into summer I could see fishing lead core on Pool two as being especially helpful as fish move to the tips of as well as off of wingdams into deeper current seams,etc. The other piece is that lead core must enable the angler to fish small cranks in deeper water.

You information was very helpful, in the next couple of weeks I think I better email Dean and have him put together a package for me.

Great information, I’m excited about adding this technique to river fishing!

les_welch

good info here, thanks guys. WTA

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Any particular brand name of lead core to buy? I’m most likely going to run 18#.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’m currently running Gudebrod. I believe I got it at Fleet Farm. Cabelas has their own brand also.
    Thanks, Bill

KirtH
    Lakeville

You need to where a speedo and a muscle shirt when pulling lead Jason

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Any particular brand name of lead core to buy? I’m most likely going to run 18#.

The Cabela’s brand works just fine.

CR

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.