River Walleye

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

My parents live on a flowage that is fed by the Flambeau river. I was asking the local DNR officer why we only seem to find small fish during the summer. He said that often the larger fish stay in the river and smaller fish use the lake as a “nursery” I attached a bend in the river where there is a deeper hole. That is about it for structure. The only other structure is the edges of the channel. There aren’t wing dams or anything like that. How would you find fish.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Any irregularities that influence the movement of bait fish or current

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Check the hole during the day and work to the flat in the bottom left as the evening progresses.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Thank you. Do you think Jig and minnow or lindy or just experiement?

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

you mentioned summer. So I say trolling some sort of crankbait rather than jig or lindy.

That is if trolling is legal there, someone reminded me that it isn’t allowed on some waters.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Holcombe

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Crawler harnesses if the flow is not to high. Judging by the contours, I would assume the flat has considerably less flow being behind the bend of the river. I would try pulling spinner rigs all over that flat and around the bend. Pick a contour line and follow it from the flat to around the bend. There has to be something hiding in that slower water.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Quote:

you mentioned summer. So I say trolling some sort of crankbait rather than jig or lindy.

That is if trolling is legal there, someone reminded me that it isn’t allowed on some waters.

Actually, trolling is illegal everywhere except where there exists a special regulation allowing it.

O-FISHial

Where did you find a contour map of the Flambeau?
    That a Navionics map on your phone?

redneck
    Rosemount

Looks like a good place for a draggin jig and half a crawler up on those shallow shelfs.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Thanks for all the response. It is legal to toll on the Holcombe flowage, It is navionics. I think the contour only goes up to Highway D

bowman620

During the summer we pull cranks with planer boards. With two pepole you can have 6 lines, that ups your odds. Get out early in the morning before the boat traffic gets busy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.