Mono

• gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

I have not had mono on any of my rods for at least 10 years. After fishing with one of our fellow members this winter I was convinced it was the difference in him outfishing me on the river. So today I went and bought some Suffix 8# and tried to spool it up for the FYB tourney. What a joke! This crap has so much memory when you open the bail the crap just flies off the reel on its own. Low memory, which is what the package claims, is crap. Too bad I had to open it to find this out. 10 bucks shot in the .

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

yeah i havent had very good success with suffix either. but once you actually get it straightened out it works fine. you could put a heavy jig on the line then cast it out and real in a few times to get some of the meomory out of it. but i usually stick to stren or bass pro line. but i hear good things about the cortland stuff but havent had the chance to try it yet.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Good line….but in cold weather I had similar experiences.
    Next time in,I will spool ya up some cortland on the house if interested.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Im doin this in the house Any chance of doing it the morning of the tourney? Even just one?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Get the spool empty & ready to go.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Already done. Using the empty spare ones! Thanks a ton! Your the best!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Umm Red…Don’t thank him, thank the guy that spools it for you.

I’ll bet a quarter he’s wearing a pink Everts hat.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

I will thank you to then. FYI per your PM this morning. I hear the guys “in the know” still get them there and they are NICE!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Umm Red…Don’t thank him, thank the guy that spools it for you.

I’ll bet a quarter he’s wearing a pink Everts hat.

But I dont own a pink Everts hat, it’s red

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I had similar experiences with 8lb. I only use 6lb. My new spool of line is due in a few days….thats what they said anyways.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

But I dont own a pink Everts hat, it’s red

That’s because I’m on Deans A list.

I wish I had time to be one of those people in the know Red.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You will really love the Endurance…great all weather line!
    Dean is my line Guru too!

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

I have not had mono on any of my rods for at least 10 years.

Neither have I and I’m not going back. You can always use some leader if the fish are line shy, but no more “springs” on my reels.

kris_brantner
    My river

try a good co polymer. like yo zuri hybrid . work much better on a spinning reel

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I had similar experiences with 8lb. I only use 6lb. My new spool of line is due in a few days….thats what they said anyways.

Ive heard rumors that the 6# suffix may be a little stretchy. That stuff is pretty good summer line but takes on a whole new life some where in the mid to low thirties. Its not quite so bad if the line is a little worn before hitting those temps. Use it for a few month ahead of cold temps.

Or just find a better option.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Neither have I and I’m not going back. You can always use some leader if the fish are line shy, but no more “springs” on my reels.

Northstar, you need to come clean! You’re using at least 50 pound line aren’t you?

I’ve heard that a person can hear the “boing” almost a mile away.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Quote:

Ive heard rumors that the 6# suffix may be a little stretchy. That stuff is pretty good summer line but takes on a whole new life some where in the mid to low thirties. Its not quite so bad if the line is a little worn before hitting those temps. Use it for a few month ahead of cold temps.

Or just find a better option.

I have fished Sufix 6# and agree…I fished the older(better) Berkley Sensation before that…In sub 40degree water Endurance has been as limp as a noodle. My last cold water trip with Mike W I had equal success with 6# Endurance Mono and 6# Cabelas No-Vis Flouro. I had a new spool of 8″ Fireline white on my dragging rod (actually that spool was intended for vetrical blade work) and that was still stiff and kinky.
    I am starting to prefer my Braid at 6# test also…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.