planer board help

• bluewing
    North Iowa

Would like recommendations on pulling crank baits with planer boards. I have no experience with this type of presentation, so the first thing is what planer boards to purchase? A friend of mine has recommended to skip the inline board products and purchase a mast to avoid the nuisance to fighting a fish and a board, any thoughts (PRO & CONS) certainly the costs are greater however does it really remove the hassle of resetting boards etc. Most of my fishing will be done on minnesota and Iowa lakes. Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

What species will you be fishing for? This may determine what type of board you should get or your opinons you receive. What typues of bodies of water do you fish (crowded, open water, etc.)?

bluewing
    North Iowa

Walleyes are the target.
    Mid-size lakes with some traffic as well as I’d like to try Mille Lacs this summer.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I guess I would steer you towards the In-Line board direction, the Church Walleye boards in particular. CLICK HERE for them. I have never used the tattle flags with these but might be giving them a try this Summer. I have thought about trying the Mast system, but for a few hundred bucks I can’t justify the cost yet. I will be borrowing someones this Summer and giving it a whirl. The inlines are not that big of a deal and fairly simple to use.

Last year I had reported on this method of fishing and many IDA’ers chimed in and we had a very good educational seminar on the the do’s and don’ts to pulling boards. Click on the Link Planer board 101 below to go to that fishing report.

Planer Board 101

There were 4 pages of helpful hints and members tricks to pulling boards. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or ask them here. Good Luck.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I would reccomend that you look at the Off Shore planner boards or Mr. Walleye’s boards(Church Tackle). I have used these with GREAT success from Canada to Minnesota to Ohio and the Dakota’s. These are easy to use and a fraction of the cost of a trolling mast and the big boards!! If you plan on doing a ton of planner board fishing and having multiple people in the boat the mast and big boards would b e the way to go! You can easily fish 1-4 people with the smaller planner boards and once you learn the tricks of taking them off and keeping the line tight, you are set to go! I really prefer the smaller boards and they have work everywhere that I have used them. Good Luck!!!690reece

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Great thread/threads on pullings boards. I’m relatively new to pulling in lines and have another question.

A couple times,I’ve had a board pop off the line while fighting a fish. I’m using Off Shores and clip the line about 3/4s of the way back on the pads of the releases. Once I get bit, I reel in at a slow steady pace not pumping or horsing the fish at all until I can reach the and pull the board off my line. No problem usualy but once in a while a board will pop off the line completely and I will have to work my way back to pick it up = frustrating!

I have noticed the snap weight releases have a little tip in the middle of the pads. Have any of you switched the stock releases that come on Off Shores to these?

Am I clipping my line to the releases improperly?

I have read that some wrap the line around the release one time. Sounds like that would solve the problem but I would worry about that weakening the line after a while.

I would appreciate hearing any tips on attaching your line to in lines so I don’t have to waste time chasing rouge boards when they pop free.

Thanks for your time !

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I run the off shore boards and I have upgraded the front clips on the boards to snap clips. I always wrap around the clip before I snap it and with the tattle tail flags up make sure you leave some extra line between the clips for the fish to pull the flag down. (I rap the back clip also) In the center of the clip there is usally a little tab that sticks down in the center of clip make sure you line is inside that tab.

When I set the rod in th rod holder depending on the speeds im traveling I will turn the clicker on the side of the reel on and open the bail (if pulling cranks then I loosen the drag with bail closed), when I hear the clicking I slow it with my thumb bring the rod tip straight up then slow the motor.

And when your takeing the board off the line make sure you keep the tip up and always a tight line!!

Good Luck its a blast

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Geeman,

What your talking about is the exact reeason I do not like the Off-Shore boards. Sometimes it happens to me when I have a full spread of 4-5 boards out and trolling through big waves. I have to reel all rods in, turn around and go get the board. Kind of a pain in the . Church Walleye boards I have not had that problem. Yes, you can wrap the line in the clips but I have still had problems with the Off-Shore boards coming off, but it does help a lot. The water I fish often has large 3-4 footers going. Off-Shore does have a Clip you can buy after martket and put on. I picked up a set @ Fleet Farm for $11.99. I believe they are a OR-18 clip.

So I guess if you arlerady have the Off-Shore boards, I would suggest wrapping the line around the front clip (that line that comes from the boat). If you are still having problems after that, buy the OR-18 release clips. THey sell them online for almost $20, but I have found them for $11.99 @ Fleet Farm.

Good Luck

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Thanks for the tips guys.

I bought some snap weight releases last fall and will rig them up on my boards. I’ll also try wrapping the line around the clip as well. Don’t use a Tattle Tail and don’t plan on it. Danged releases are expensive enough eh.

I also like the setting drag light and engaging the clicker idea. Usualy it’s just me and the GF in the boat. I REALLY like having her with but she knows even less than I do about trolling so when it’s fish on,it’s pretty much a solo act on my part.
    One good thing tho is I got her running the boat (Magnum 175 tiller) so that gives me plenty of time to rig up rods,boards and take care of rat nests.

Anyhow, I hav’nt had too many boards pop really and the last one that did was because of a bigger fish smacking the one I was reeling in. THAT was a rush. I had a small wally on and reeling it in when all of a sudden BAM,the line just stopped dead. Thought sure I had snagged bottom until the rod started pounding = BIG fish. OF COURSE the board popped and the fish was soon gone too. I doubt you could avoid popping a board under those circumstances but the few other times they popped off I’m sure it was because I did somthing wrong, maybe not? Dunno.

I may have a chance at a mast and ski set up relatively cheap. IF I can’t get these boards squared away, I may just go that route and be done with it.

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Geeman, I don’t think you did anyhting wrong, just make sure to wrap it this time. You right they are expsensive, I thik off shore does this on purpose to make yo ubuy the other clip. They know it’s junk and keep producing. Why do they not throw the good ones on right away instead of soaking us for everyhting w ehave . I have haule din some pig Walleyes in Rough conditions and never had a Church Walleye board pop. I do the same thing as you, troll with the Girlfriend. She loves to lay out, read and reel in fish . Good Luck

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.