cracked lower unit

• lhprop1
    Eagan

I’ve got an old Evinrude 40hp with a cracked lower unit.

1. Is there any place near Eagan that could service this?
    2. Any idea how much it will set me back?

flanders51

I took my new Suzuki 140hp into Jeff at Recreational Repair down in Farmington and he quoted me a much, much better deal than others did on a lower unit replacement. He is a nice guy and I feel like he is honest.

http://recreationalrepair.com/

Good luck.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Sorry to hear that.

You should be able to replace it for under $1700.
    Repair should run you less, but repair may not be an option depending on the damage.

I repaired my LU last year at SJ Hansen’s in Northfield. I was VERY happy with his service and price and immediate turn around right before sturgeon season.

It’s not going to be cheap, and it might be worth shopping for a different motor as it could be the same cost.

I put $3k into my old 40hp motor last year, first rebuilding the motor and then the lower unit…So the fix was worth it to me.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I think theres a place down in Shakoepee by the horse track that might be helpful. I don’t remember the name. Maybe someone can help with the name. Or just go for a drive. I think its on the Northeast side.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Twin City Outboard

600 Canterbury Road
    Shakopee, MN 55379

Phone: 952-496-1951
    Fax: 952-445-6357

[email protected]

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I was just going to recommend what Trophy replied with. I’d see if you can find a working unit at TC Outboard.

Swapping a lower unit would be easy and relatively cheap if you can find a working LU at reasonable cost. Then you avoid the labor of having to overhaul all the moving parts from the old cracked case into the new.

Grouse

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

You might want to check with your insurance company it might be covered. This would help with the cost.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I had a LU go out on an old evinrude several years ago. Repair cost was a lot higher than replacement — I found a replacement on ebay for $400 and it ran perfectly for the two additional years that I kept the boat.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I think it was Boat Motor Recylcers Inc who rebuilt my lower unit on my boat. It is still running good. For me it was the same for a rebuilt or to rebuild mine. $1800

It is the place by fastenal off hwy 13

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.