Spiderwire Stealth for pitching jigs?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I have and am primarily a mono guy (GAMMA) when it comes to fishing lines for jigging or live bait rigging, but I am considering switching to Spiderwire Stealth on a couple of my spinning reels for pitching jigs on P2, P3, and P4. I know a lot of guys use Power Pro and tend to like it, but I am looking at the Spiderwire Stealth product instead. Anyhow, before I invest, I was wondering if anyone would share their thoughts/experience with this particular line for this method of fishing in both warm and cold weather conditions (pro or con)? The use would primarily be for walleye fishing, but I know you bass guys use this stuff in a similar manner, so please do not hesitate to reply with your opinions.
    Thanks.
    Splitshot

mfreeman451

Any particular reason you’re wanting to switch? I put some 80lb on one of my new “big fish” poles and I guess I like it. I did have a few times where I had some nasty nasty line twist, which I’ve never had happen before on any of my other powerpro, fireline, or suffix 832 setups, although I’ve heard people complaining about this with braids.

I like the feel of it, it has a kind of smooth texture and looks like it repels water well, but I never really pay attention when I’m reeling it in..

With all these new braids out there and many of them performing basically the same, I don’t think any of them really outperform another. I think I’d personally buy more suffix 832 next time, not because it’s done anything special for me, but I like to think that it is more developed/advanced compared to the others..

stuart
    Mn.

The stealth line tends to bury itself and is not really a smooth pitching line.Love it on my trolling rods.
    I think you would be happier with a differnt braid for pitching jig.Fireline crystal is good as is suffix or power pro.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Are you fishing walleyes or bass?
    What type/action rod?
    Many of the top sticks on the Pools use mono if they want some “lift/drift” on their jig/plastic presentations for Walleye/Sauger, especially with a fast/X fast action rod.
    I only use braid for vertical jigging and prefer 6# Hi Vis… Sufix or PP.

BBKK
    IA

I use braid for almost everything, power pro. The power pro is the thinnest I have seen yet, which makes it much more sensitive than the rest.. 10# is my favorite which equals 2lb mono or 8lb fireline diameter wise.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Other than panfish, most of my jigging is done with Crystal and I love that stuff. PowerPro is on my bass top-water rods because I like the weigh-diameter and its casting qualities.

jac714

I spooled a casting reel with Spiderwire and don’t think I will do it again, I agree with the other poster who made the point it tends to dig into itself. I had more backlashes in one hour with Spiderwire than in a week with Power Pro.

Like the others I think you would be better served by one of the other braids ( I cannot speak to any brand but Power Pro) or a fused line.

I am using Transition Flouro for my jigging setup.

Good Luck.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

The stealth line tends to bury itself and is not really a smooth pitching line.Love it on my trolling rods.
    I think you would be happier with a differnt braid for pitching jig.Fireline crystal is good as is suffix or power pro.

been using 20lb stealth on my spinning gear for bass since it came out and havent had any problems with it but you waldorf guys probably use lighter line and I can’t comment on how that stuff handles on the spool. I have to admit I like Suffix braid a little better for all applications, but it’s also more expensive. Used fireline all the time back in the day and tried Crystal once and hated it. I do like it on my ultralights for ice fishin though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.