Electric Garage Heater

• bassh8er

I’ve got a 3 car garage with 12’ ceilings. I installed a small electric heater last winter that really didn’t do much to heat the space; it was only $300.

Does anyone know of an electric heater that can heat this kind of space? Right now it’s mounted about 9’ up the wall and is rigged for a 220 outlet.

munchy
    NULL

Electric won’t do much unless you go with an electric boiler and infloor heat. And even then I’d still try to get a gas boiler. Your electric bill will be through the roof.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hate to say it, but I think you’re looking for a unicorn. If you did find one, the meter will be spinning like a helicopter. Even at off peak rates, electric is expensive to operate

riverruns
    Inactive

You won’t get there with electric. I tried with 220 electric heater. Won’t work. My garage is tucked under my house. 3 car garage. 12′ ceilings. My garage won’t fall under 36° without heat normally in the winter.

I’ll run a Nipko heater for a short while. I’ll get to 50 real quick. 10 minutes or less.

Donny

Yup. Small electric heater won’t do the job. A $300 for that small heater is too much for the price. My suggestion is to go for ductless heater but you might need extra cash.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

bassh8er:

You really need to know your square footage (length x width) of the space or even the cubic footage (length x width x height) space. Then you should be able to shop for either electric or gas/propane heaters… Good Luck!!!

Mark

tornadochaser

10W per sq/ft minimum for electric unit heater in an insulated garage. 3 car garage, probably looking at 8,000-10,000 watts, 50A or 60A breaker.

But first, you need to determine how you want to use your heater. Is this a unit you simply want to turn on when you’re working in the garage? Or do you want to set the thermostat to maintain a minimum temperature all day every day?

How quick of recovery time do you want when it’s -10 outside and the wife left the garage door open for the past 3 hours? (pro-tip…interlock the garage door operation with the thermostat. Easily done with a door switch or a relay contact off of the opener.)

hnd

i have a 7500 watt tiny electric that heats my 22×30 11′ ceiling garage ok. not great. But all i do is keep it at 40. if i’m in there i crank it up. eventually i’ll add gass and do it right but that time isn’t right now with all the other projects I have going.

Deleted

If you decide to go with gas or LP, I just put one of these in my garage & I love it.

Didn’t find out the garage walls were not insulated til we fished the thermostat wire in the wall. Had to remedy that but a month later it’s all done, except the insulated windows are still on order.

$349 on sale – 50,000 btu , heats up to 1500 sq ft. Thermostat on the wall.

Attachments:
    1. 846D147C-1C99-4671-BE41-71446BA3C74C.jpeg

JEREMY
    BP

How much did it cost to run the gas line? That the only part im afraid to do myself.

munchy
    NULL

How much did it cost to run the gas line? That the only part im afraid to do myself.

It will depend on how far and how difficult the run.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I hate to say it, but I think you’re looking for a unicorn. If you did find one, the meter will be spinning like a helicopter. Even at off peak rates, electric is expensive to operate

I’m going to generally disagree with this statement that electric is expensive to operate. my whole house is ran by electricity even heat.

i will say that maybe heating a garage with electricity may run up the bill, i use a propane nipco when i want heat out there.

i have been on a budget with xcel since day one, my monthly budget is about 240 bucks per month. i have asked others with propane, gas and what have you and i dont see a major difference is total monthly energy bills.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To me, 240 per month is expensive. I do have a small house, about 2000 SQ ft total, a 24×24 detached heated garage, gas budget is $66, electric bill is about 100 during AC months, 65-70 during winter.

JEREMY
    BP

It will depend on how far and how difficult the run.

I would consider it pretty easy. Meter 2 feet from garage so up the wall and in about 25 feet. Had a guy give me a price but he wouldn’t just run the line would only do whole job.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Electric won’t do much unless you go with an electric boiler and infloor heat. And even then I’d still try to get a gas boiler. Your electric bill will be through the roof.

I can attest to this statement.

The home we purchased 3 years ago has a 3 stall attached garage with in floor heat powered by an electric boiler. I usually keep the garage 42-45, so just enough to take the chill off and I can consistently see my electric bill double or more in the winter months.

As a side note, the basement is also tubed but not hooked up/finished. When I finish this I plan to put in a gas boiler and have it zoned for the garage and basement and hope to see some savings over the cost of the electric.

B-man

Jeremy, you could do that yourself for under $100.

Sounds like an easy run.

Deleted

I spent $100 to run my own gas line out to the exterior wall of the garage & then the propane company charged me $213 to run 26’ of copper to the LP tank, with a new regulator. I’d whine about that but last time they did work here I got by – on the cheap.

You could prolly do better if your propane company/gas company likes you.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.