Dogs on Ice

• tim hurley

No not dogfish again, actual dogs. Have always been to afraid of my dog getting injured to take mine out, has been entertaing to watch other peoples’ dogs. Last week I had a thermos of coffee, threw the lid on the snow and this guys lab pup ran off with it, thing got about 100 yards out quick! Yelled to the owner, he told his dog to ‘drop’ and the guy start hiking around with my lid.
    Yesterday I was fishing next to these people who had a dog that did not believe in C&R-if you threw the fish on the ice he would grab it and run away with it-if you threw it in the hole he would dig in the slush for it. We were spread out on the ice but that dog could figure out who was catching fish, he then got good at grabing the fish in the air as you tried to throw it in the hole.

MNBOWHUNTIN

We bring our 2 dogs out every chance we get. Hardly ever fish next to anybody so not concerned about them bothering people.
    Great winter exercise for them. They mostly spend their time up in the bushes looking for rabbits and birds.

Would be awesome to teach a dog to bark when flag goes up.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Dogs are great on the ice. Most everyone I see never has an issue with a dog running over to snag a pet. If a dog can run full speed thru a forest and not get injured, pretty unlikely on the ice.

When my dog was a pup, she ran about 300 yds away to these guys pounding some pike. My pup decided to “borrow” one of them and brought it right back to me…it was the only pike I got that day and everyone around me was laughing it up…but I had to sheepishly walk their fish back to them. They giggled and everything was good.

Being a responsible dog owner is knowing when your dog is annoying someone and correcting that issue. If you can’t control your dog, stay away form people (puppies are 100% forgiven!).

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Being a responsible dog owner is knowing when your dog is annoying someone and correcting that issue. If you can’t control your dog, stay away form people (puppies are 100% forgiven!).

Agreed.

If a dog can run full speed thru a forest and not get injured, pretty unlikely on the ice.

If there is snow on the ice, sure, but I avoid glare ice as ACL surgeries aren’t cheap. )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Problem dogs are an issue on ice. The ones that steal fish and pi$$ on peoples gear. Well behaved dogs that visit me are no problem. I would never take my dogs out on the ice. They get in the way and require attention I would rather use on fishing. Also I have a lake cabin and they are forbidden from the ice. Punishable offense because it is so deadly twice a year.

Red Eye

Babe Winklemans dog once pissed on my cousins vexilar. it was hilarious.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

We bring the our goldendoodle out all the time. She does really well out there and really enjoys it as well

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Yesterday where I was fishing there were tons of unmarked spearing/sight fishing holes that weren’t freezing over. Just be careful if letting your dog out on the ice

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We had a dog a few years ago get tangled in a tip down line and bury the treble hook (fairly small) in the corner of its mouth well beyond the barbs. I did help the owner hold the dog and extract the hook, but it was obviously not what I wanted to spend time doing before retying the entire rig. In this situation I definitely did not blame the dog, rather the owner who could not control the dog.

Trained dogs on the ice are not an issue for me (stay close to their owner, leave others alone, aren’t constantly barking, etc.). In my experience, I’d consider about 1 of every 5 or so dogs I see on the ice as “trained” though. I’ve got a niece who is deathly afraid of dogs of any size due to a situation when she was little. For every person who loves dogs and welcomes their attention, there’s another who is just the opposite. Few people tend to recognize this.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I don’t bring my lab too often with me. I do when I am going to be fishing by myself, away from others, and am going to be traveling by ATV across the ice. It’s nice exercise for him to run next to me all day and get in some off season conditioning.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

We had a dog a few years ago get tangled in a tip down line and bury the treble hook (fairly small) in the corner of its mouth well beyond the barbs. I did help the owner hold the dog and extract the hook, but it was obviously not what I wanted to spend time doing before retying the entire rig. In this situation I definitely did not blame the dog, rather the owner who could not control the dog.

Trained dogs on the ice are not an issue for me (stay close to their owner, leave others alone, aren’t constantly barking, etc.). In my experience, I’d consider about 1 of every 5 or so dogs I see on the ice as “trained” though. I’ve got a niece who is deathly afraid of dogs of any size due to a situation when she was little. For every person who loves dogs and welcomes their attention, there’s another who is just the opposite. Few people tend to recognize this.

Agreed.

Sandman

Just be a good owner and clean up the 💩 so it doesn’t pollute the lakes they get enough from other sources

Sandman

Just be a good owner and clean up the 💩 so it doesn’t pollute the lakes they get enough from other sources

Sandman

Sandman

Sandman

Sylvanboat

what more needs to be said??

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

what more needs to be said??

hah Just be a good owner and clean up the 💩 so it doesn’t pollute the lakes they get enough from other sources.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Don’t mind dogs on the ice if they are well behaved.

A couple weeks ago while driving the snowmobile out to a fishing spot I drove by a pile of dog poop and a bit further a pile of people poop. Very frustrating that people can’t clean up after themselves and their animals.

Speaking of fish thief’s one night last week a group of us were out hole hopping and had a few crappies laid out on the ice around the holes. An eagle swooped down and took a crappie between two of guys who were about 50 feet apart. The eagle flew about 100 yards away and starting eating it’s treat. It was pretty cool to watch the whole thing

klang

Hey MNBOWHUNTER Love your profile picture! That’s some memories being made there!

Know it’s not what you were wondering about, but thin ice and a dog scares me. Been pheasant hunting early in year before and had dogs wander out on fairly thin ice. Had one go thru once. Got her out but it was scary.

klang

Hey MNBOWHUNTIN Love your profile picture! That’s some memories being made there!

Know it’s not what you were wondering about, but thin ice and a dog scares me. Been pheasant hunting early in year before and had dogs wander out on fairly thin ice. Had one go thru once. Got her out but it was scary.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Owners hollering at their dogs constantly are just as annoying as unruly dogs. PS, Babe W has no tact, how can you expect his dog to be any smarter?

tim hurley

Happy to say I have not seen any poop on the ice-dogs I have seen are having a blast, they always make me smile. If the slight inconveniece they cause me makes me grouchy they i know I’m taking it all a little too seriously.

Ryan Wilson

Don’t care much for dogs. When it comes to ice fishing, I don’t find their “antics” cute or how ignorant most of their owners are. I put “dog toleration” (which is actually owner toleration) into two categories: public lake or private lake. If I am allowed access to a private lake, I’ll tolerate the homeowners dogs because it’s their lake and it’s not my place. If it’s a public lake…..Kahtoolas, that’s all I’m saying.

We ALL know what the of owners/dogs I’m talking about here and if you don’t, well, it’s you….

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Agreed.

This is why I don’t bring my dogs out with me. I don’t want to take a chance on someone being annoyed or worse, scared…besides the fact that I don’t want to spend my day policing them. That said, if I see you have a dog out on the ice while I’m fishing, you should FULLY expect me to find an excuse to come over and pet the good boy! I love dogs way more than most people, so don’t take it personally if a make a fuss over your dog but don’t talk to you much… ;-)

brewerybuilder

That said, if I see you have a dog out on the ice while I’m fishing, you should FULLY expect me to find an excuse to come over and pet the good boy! I love dogs way more than most people, so don’t take it personally if a make a fuss over your dog but don’t talk to you much… ;-)
    [/quote]

+1

troutbum
    St. Paul

I had my black lab on the ice for two days. Not a cloud in the sky, very sunny. After the second day around 9 pm he couldnt open his eyes. After talking to my dog trainer he said his eyes had too much sun exposure and were burned. Applied contact solution overnight and he was fine in the morning. Took him to the stillwater clinic and the vet said no permanent damage.

Attachments:
    1. C7932F32-8776-4548-B2CB-F8FDE08F88B4.jpeg

2. 49AFC440-5491-4E8A-B7B9-E07F56E42A7C.jpeg

3. 1D31CFE7-4608-4368-84A3-05C0716CD1D7.jpeg

4. 4BB4AD3B-90C1-43D0-864C-5E75E45C02C6.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.