Does an otter cabin fit in a tundra short box?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Considering upgrading from my otter cottage to a cabin. Wondering if anyone can confirm through experience that an otter cabin will fit in a 2021 tundra crewcab box. The internet says the truck bed is 66.7″ or 66″ depending on the site and the otter cabin is 66″. I know the math would say it should but since we are talking a matter of less than an inch I’d prefer to hear from someone who has done it before I invest time and money into getting one. Thanks

brandyman
    West central MN

FWIW: My otter cabin is a tight fit in my silverado(with a tonneau cover). It shows it’s at 69.3″

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

66 won’t fit in 66. The joys of a short box.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i think i misread the information online. i believe the tundra shortbed is 67.2″ which should allow for a cabin to fit. Guess its time to get out the measuring tape

CaptainMusky

Im assuming you want to close the end gate right? I dont know if it will fit, but shutting the end gate was the deciding factor for me getting the 6.5′ box in my truck so I could get my lodge in there. I hope it works for you!

ekruger01

I have a 15 tundra crew max short. Cottage fit, but cabin did not.

10klakes

Also FWIW- Eskimo eskape’s are supposed to fit in short beds and under tonneau’s. If you wanted a bigger flip in a different brand.

CaptainMusky

Crappie, do you have a tonneau cover on it and do you want it closed? Otherwise you could put the house in backwards and lift the front to shut the end gate. I did that one some previous trucks.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

A short Drive to Thorn Bros with your truck will tell you the answer you seek. They have them set up in their parking lot.
    My Otter Cabin with a bench seat fits in my F150 with 6.5 box with a tonneau cover but have to remove one cros bar to slide it in with out rolling up teh cover.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have seen people using truck bed extension. Where you drop down your tail gate and add an enclosed housing to increase your bed size. When you roll up your tonneau cover it flips into the bed and you can close your tail gate. Or something like Dee Zee bed extender. I preferred to buy a truck with a smaller cab and bigger box so it still fits in your garage. All the sales guys tried to convince me to go the other way saying I don’t need that big of a box.

Tom Bisel

I just purchased one and it fits, but barely. I cannont use my tonneau cover with the sled as it sits up a inch to high to latch the cover.

CaptainMusky

All the sales guys tried to convince me to go the other way saying I don’t need that big of a box.

Thats because for every 6.5′ bed they have 40 of the shortbox models.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have seen people using truck bed extension. Where you drop down your tail gate and add an enclosed housing to increase your bed size. When you roll up your tonneau cover it flips into the bed and you can close your tail gate. Or something like Dee Zee bed extender. I preferred to buy a truck with a smaller cab and bigger box so it still fits in your garage. All the sales guys tried to convince me to go the other way saying I don’t need that big of a box.

Or, crew cab long box. I dont regret having a long box at all.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    All the sales guys tried to convince me to go the other way saying I don’t need that big of a box.

Thats because for every 6.5′ bed they have 40 of the shortbox models.

Oh I understand this. But it was frustrating. First thing out of my mouth was “I am looking for a new truck and will not look at anything with a box smaller than 6’-6”. No short beds.” Sales person “let me show you the micro beds we have in stock and tell you why it is all you need.” flame I miss my 8′ box. Extended cab with a long box won’t fit in my garage.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh I understand this. But it was frustrating. First thing out of my mouth was “I am looking for a new truck and will not look at anything with a box smaller than 6’-6”. No short beds.” Sales person “let me show you the micro beds we have in stock and tell you why it is all you need.” flame I miss my 8′ box. Extended cab with a long box won’t fit in my garage.
    [/quote]

Yeah I luck out, I don’t need my truck to sit in my garage. That’s where my toys are. Truck can sit in driveway or yard. But it does fit in garage if needed

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thanks for all of the replies. i have both a topper and a tonneau but use the topper in the winter. I have rolled around with my other otter sled used for my pop up with the tailgate down and a ratchet strap holding it in. im fine traveling that way it just mitigates all the space afforded to me with the topper so dont want to do that with my flip over.

As far as the short box criticism i agree 100%!. I have 3 boys and 3 dogs and fish out of a 3k lb boat. the idea behind the crew cab was im going to need to haul around all these people/animals and i think ill need the bigger cab space. Flash forward 3 years and its been rare that all of us needed to use the space. Either my whole family doesnt come with on fishing trips or we will take the minivan and use a friends boat whos driving separately. I dislike everything about the crewcab except for the resale value. My next truck will have a 6.5′ or 8′ bed

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Every one seemed to all of a sudden love short boxes. They suck. I need all 8 ft plus some

Charles

Every one seemed to all of a sudden love short boxes. They suck. I need all 8 ft plus some

YES!

I had to give up looking for a RAM 1500 every truck was a freaking short bed. I can find more long box or 6.5 beds in Tundras.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

YES!

I had to give up looking for a RAM 1500 every truck was a freaking short bed. I can find more long box or 6.5 beds in Tundras.

When I sold my ram shirt box I told my self I’d never make that mistake again. Worst truck combo I ever had. Crew cab was cool for people but the box filled quickly on any camping or fishing trip.

MX1825

You find very few crew cabs with a 6.5 foot box in the Chevy, Ford, or Ram lots. Extended cabs are almost all 6.5 long. Used it’s like looking for hens teeth.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.