Dinner for a trip

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m going on a trip with some buddies, 6 of us total. I need to make dinner one night. Pizza, brats, and chili are already taken. What should I bring?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hard to go wrong with Jim Beam.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

In similar situations I go for pulled pork with cole slaw.
    Can be made in a slow cooker in advance and frozen.

Deleted

10 qt cast iron Dutch oven w/ thermometer
    Metal tongs
    Jug of peanut oil
    Paper towels / plates
    5 lbs of fish filets
    Homemade tartar sauce
    2 boxes of shore lunch (beer batter)
    2 cans of cheap beer

…….if that don’t work, ribeyes & baked potatoes is always a hit.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you have a oven available where you will be. Pre make a tatertot hotdish, lasagna, or casserole of your choice in tin foil pan. Bake it off when ready. Easy prep. Easy clean up. Tastes great. Good luck on your trip.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

My favorite meal for this situation is meatloaf!

One pound loafs make as many loafs as you need per head count.

1 pound of meat(I prefer ground Italian venison)
    1/2 large onion chopped
    1 sleeve ritz crackers
    2 eggs
    1 pk lipton onion soup mix.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Sloppy Joes in slow cooker, couple bags of buns, chips and dip

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

A nice big chuck roast in the crockpot. Use the the juices to make gravy and boil some potatoes.

This is always a winner after a long day fishing and requires little effort which is a plus.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A favorite os mine is flank steak fajitas. The steak can be done in advance. Then just bring the fixings.

Grouse

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

How about a nice tuna Niçoise salad?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

A favorite os mine is flank steak fajitas. The steak can be done in advance. Then just bring the fixings.

Grouse

Yup, although I prefer pulled pork myself. FW will once in awhile make it all up week prior and put into ziplocs or Tupperware. Warm up and serve.

Few years ago the Verde sauce I brought up wreaked havoc in the fish house, if quarantined with a bunch of beer guzzling stinky colons I’d limit this.

404 ERROR
    MN

I made pulled pork in the crockpot this spring for a buddies bachelor party. Made it all the day before we left, shredded it and stuffed it in zip-locks. Tossed it back in the crockpot at lunchtime and it was ready to eat for supper. Super simple and all you need is the pork, buns and BBQ sauce. Maybe some chips and dip if you feel frisky.

And may I suggest chili on the last day…

Dan
    Southeast MN

If you have a oven available where you will be. Pre make a tatertot hotdish, lasagna, or casserole of your choice in tin foil pan. Bake it off when ready. Easy prep. Easy clean up. Tastes great. Good luck on your trip.

I was going to say the same thing. I did this for a Leech Lake trip in August, you can put it in the oven or if it’s already been pre-baked you can just microwave it.

rotflol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

[/quote]

Chili on the first day, it’s a great ice breaker.

404 ERROR
    MN

Chili on the first day, it’s a great ice breaker.
    [/quote]

Or ice melter…

the better half
    Champlin, MN

Here is another crock-pot meal that Francis K has brought on a few trips. I will mix the sauce ingredients ahead of time and send it with him in a Tupperware.

Angle Chicken Pasta

6 boneless skinless chicken breast
    1/4 cup butter
    1 (.7 oz) package of dry Italian dressing mix
    1/2 cup chick broth
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
    4 oz cream cheese w/chives

Please chicken in crock-pot. Melt butter and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour over chicken. Cook 5-6 hours on low. Serve chicken and sauce over noodles. waytogo waytogo

zooks

Grouse

These would be my suggestions as well, not a lot of work but real crowd pleasers.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Hungry Man TV Dinners but serve on last day as it will be easier to avoid getting Lynched before heading home

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Boneless/skinless chicken breast in crockpot. For every four add 1/4 cup of taco seasoning and about a pint of homemade salsa. Cook all day, shred, and have chicken tacos.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Crock pots sure are handy but kind of blah with some things. Step it up and smoke smoke some ribs at home and bring, or even a pork shoulder. Easy to warm up and taste like they just came off the smoker.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Beef stew and don’t forget the kale salad.

zooks

Crock pots sure are handy but kind of blah with some things. Step it up and smoke smoke some ribs at home and bring, or even a pork shoulder. Easy to warm up and taste like they just came off the smoker.

Good idea with ribs and I’ve done it before – smoke them at home, then cool and vacuum pack. To warm them up, just slap them on a hot grill or under the broiler for 5-10 minutes and you’ve got a quick dinner. It’s the same way that restaurants prep and serve ribs and works great.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Iron Range Porketta! You can buy it at SuperOne.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Lots of great suggestions. Instead of precook something and reheating it up in the crockpot. Precook what you are going to make and vacuum pack it. To reheat it you just put the whole bag into a pot of water and bring to a boil. When done you dump the water and toss away the bag, burn your paper plates and your cleanup is over.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great tip ∆∆
    peace

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Costco— big box of orange chicken and some fried rice. Cooks in 20minutes on a cookie sheet and the rice cooks in the microwave in 5. Gives everyone enough time to pound a couple cold ones and get ready to eat. One box would be more than enough for 6 guys. Total cost would be like $15

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.