deer hunting this year

• packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

From reading alot of post this year, people are very disappointed in the season. I did not shoot a deer on my week long trip up north, but I built another year of memories.
    It seems like everybody expects to kill a deer every year.
    I bought a hunting license, not a deer shooting license.
    Sorry to vent but we should also think about the memories we gained.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

A very good reminder packingheat! Some of by best hunting memories have absolutely nothing to do with killing a deer.

bobg3723
    Crystal, MN

Agree!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I think it is OK to be disappointed in a season… and OK to talk about it. That’s what makes getting your kill finally, whether it be this year or the next or the next, it makes it MORE special. I will be disappointed if I do not harvest the animal I would like this year, but it by no means diminishes the times I had or the memories I made. They are mine to keep for my the rest of my life. I guess I take it as a given, people have fun hunting (whether they take game or not) and meeting up with the old friends, as tradition has formed. That’s what keeps us coming back for more We spend half of deer camp, talking about stuff that has happened in years prior and very little has to do with an actual deer being killed.

lick

Quote:

A very good reminder packingheat! Some of by best hunting memories have absolutely nothing to do with killing a deer.

Agreed some are of mail boxes, back tags,tree stands, chainsaws, trail cameras,hip waders and creeks

Not an extremely sucessful season for me this year, but another one filled with memories.

I set my standards pretty high this year and wouldn’t take a buck with my bow unless it went P&Y. Saw more 115-130″ bucks this year than all my years bowhunting combined, which to me makes it all worth it. Was also able to spend another rifle season hunting with my grandparents, who are 80+ years old and still hunting hard.

coppertop
    Central MN

Sorry but I get bummed when a shooter that I have put my heart and soul into does not show up. My fall consists of one thing, deer hunting. It becomes my second job. To me it’s not about the commrodarie(sp) and hanging out at deer camp, going to the bar for a drink etc. etc. I’m on a quest for one thing, a quality buck. That’s it. So I have a right to be bummed. I eat my tag alot and I’m fine with that.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Great post packingheat! Every year I get all jacked up to get down to camp and start tinkering and prepping for the hunt. But in the end, it’s about hanging out with everyone at the cabin.

I enjoy the Saturday night dinner as much as the hunting. The deer are a bonus and every once in a while I get a crack at a nice one.

I also love the event known as the WI gun season. On the drive down you see all the orange clothes hanging outside, the guys moving into the local hotels, the signs welcoming the hunters, the Friday night feeds, and big buck contests. WI really comes alive much like the fishing opener in MN.

Eric

abster71
    crawford county WI

x2 on that G The only problem I have is that when the DNR say we have too many deer and yet you listen to people talk about their hunts not seeing a deer and I’m talking about die hard hunters who spend alot of time preparing and scouting coming in saying they seen nothing somethings up. I don’t blame it on the corn a lot either or not having snow. I like how they always mention that about the snow, ya you can see more deer but can you actually shot those deer two hillsides away. I know some people think they can. If your not in a deer camp/ hunting alone it’s hard to have good memories if you don’t see a deer. Besides that’s what were out there for, too watch deer their turf.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I can honestly say this was one of my most successful seasons so far and I have not downed a single deer to show for it. Watching my wife take her first 3 deer of her life (2 with a bow and 1 with a gun), not to mention all the hunts we shared together, watching her miss on her encounter with a Coyote and catching it on film, spending another year in Deer Rifle Camp on our Property up North with my Dad, the sits in Buffalo County passing on many, many, 2.5-3.5 year old 4×4’s, passing on a shooter 5×5 @ 22 and then 36 yards, gaining new hunting camp buddies in Ricco, Craig & Dean, having the best hunt of my life in SD and seeing a ton of deer with some shooters, learning a few different properties and everything else. Not to mention my 2nd Favorite time of year to hunt is on the door step with the late season.

Frustrating ?? Yes, but still successful!

Anonymous

Quote:

Frustrating ?? Yes, but still successful!

x2

every time I have been out I have gained some knowledge of deer behavior, movement, herd size, etc. met and hunted with a fellow IDO member. I have harvested 3 does. Now bring on the snow…I live for the punishment known as hunting…hell every time out I don’t tag that buck, it just guarantees another outing

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

hell every time out I don’t tag that buck, it just guarantees another outing

I hear ya DeanoB! I always say my goal every year is to shoot a buck on the very last day of the season.

lick

Quote:

Quote:

hell every time out I don’t tag that buck, it just guarantees another outing

I hear ya DeanoB! I always say my goal every year is to shoot a buck on the very last day of the season.

Let me tell ya shooting them early SUCKS

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I don’t know about you guys but shooting a buck early like i did this year has created a lack of motivation for me to go out Im not saying im not glad of taking my buck but its hard to hunt “harder” Thats why im trying to find a WI spot now

lick

Quote:

I don’t know about you guys but shooting a buck early like i did this year has created a lack of motivation for me to go out Im not saying im not glad of taking my buck but its hard to hunt “harder” Thats why im trying to find a WI spot now

Me 2 after I shot my buck I fished way more than I hunted and thats just wrong

And when I did hunt I had a bigger buck walk by

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.