Attention Can callers

• garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I have a couple of questions on using a can call.
    1) when cold calling, how often do you bleet call.
    2) when a buck is spotted how often do you bleet call.

Opening day of our gun season I had a real nice buck following a doe within 50yds with no shot to be had.

The doe got straight up wind from me and got real nervous and the buck stopped only showing me how nice of a rack he had. I thought maybe the can call would get him to move a little for a shot. No Go He stood there only moving his head to see where the call was coming from and it seemed to relax the doe, they stood there for it seemed like 15min but it was more like 5 min real time and just slowly turned around and walked back over the knoll the way they came from.

What would you have done in the setting?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Your odds aren’t very good when a buck is with a real doe. Calling most of the time doesn’t seem to help unless its either with a grunt call or snort wheeze in your situation

The Can Call has its time and place just like everything. I find that when the mature bucks are paired up with the does, the can call becomes ineffective for me. I like to put myself in that bucks shoes and think why would he leave a doe that has already accepted him, to go chase an unknown deer?

I think in your case if the buck was a mature buck, a couple of grunts and a challenge wheeze could have got him interested.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Had a dink 15 yards from me tonight and turned the big can on him about 5 times for fun and with the wind he never heard it.
    And pulling one off a doe thats hot or cold is a stretch

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

This all makes sense, thanks.
    When is the right time for the can? My thoughts are if a buck is just crusing (search mode) that would be the time for the can.
    or I would think it could work like turkey hunting (run and gun) being close to a bedding area and try to call him out ???
    Am I off base here ??

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve had excellent luck with a can call the last 2 seasons. I think that both bucks that I shot during rifle season were comming into the can call. I think as long as they are not already locked onto a hot doe that they will respond to it. Both of my bucks came in with ears up and looking around for the source of the call. As far as how often I call it depends on the wind for me. if I think the sound is getting out there well I call less. If not I call more. Once they hear the call you have to call often enough so that they can follow the sound to you. Just my $.02 worth.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.