who’s is it ??????

• gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I would say it is all up to how much of a sportsmen everyone is. Me personally would give the deer up to the first shooter due to what were my chances of hitting the deer if not already wounded, second if he tracked it to me good chance was he was going to track the deer to its point of death. But not everyone out there is a true sportsmen!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

first blood get’s the deer. If a person is following a blood trail, it is their deer.

Now, if someone “nicks” an animal, meaning they grazed it and is following tracks in the snow, not blood, other than a dot every 100 feet or so, for example……it isn’t their deer….

gary_wellman
    South Metro

first blood get’s the deer. If a person is following a blood trail, it is their deer.

Now, if someone “nicks” an animal, meaning they grazed it and is following tracks in the snow, not blood, other than a dot every 100 feet or so, for example……it isn’t their deer….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Guys I was only commenting on what Jim posted, reread his post………

“The deer was wounded and moving.” It was not a fatal shot.

Of course if it would have been a fatal shot then that would be a different story then the deer should go to the guy who fired the first shot. You could throw allot of what ifs in here but I was only commenting on what Jim posted.

Quote:

One of our hunter’s shot a 140 class 10 pointer. The deer was wounded and moveing. He was tracking it and heard a shot. He got up there and this guy had shoot it. My question is {Who’s deer is this legaly?} What are the laws on someting like this. The deer had a 19.5 inside spread
    If I new how to post a pic. that was emailed to me I would post it.

The great part was it was his son who finished him off
    So he told his son it was his But who would the deer go to if it was someone else? We all know what the gentle man thing is to do but who would the deer go to by law?
    Thanks Jim

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Guys I was only commenting on what Jim posted, reread his post………

“The deer was wounded and moving.” It was not a fatal shot.

Of course if it would have been a fatal shot then that would be a different story then the deer should go to the guy who fired the first shot. You could throw allot of what ifs in here but I was only commenting on what Jim posted.

Quote:

One of our hunter’s shot a 140 class 10 pointer. The deer was wounded and moveing. He was tracking it and heard a shot. He got up there and this guy had shoot it. My question is {Who’s deer is this legaly?} What are the laws on someting like this. The deer had a 19.5 inside spread
    If I new how to post a pic. that was emailed to me I would post it.

The great part was it was his son who finished him off
    So he told his son it was his But who would the deer go to if it was someone else? We all know what the gentle man thing is to do but who would the deer go to by law?
    Thanks Jim

eyebuster
    Duluth

I usually do not hunt in areas that a hunter from another party would put a woulded one down, but I would say give it up and shoot another. It would be hard to give up one that big but I personally would know the truth and would still have a tag to work with!

eyebuster
    Duluth

I usually do not hunt in areas that a hunter from another party would put a woulded one down, but I would say give it up and shoot another. It would be hard to give up one that big but I personally would know the truth and would still have a tag to work with!

shaley
    Milford IA

I have tracked hard hit deer along ways before getting the kill shot. I have also tracked deer and found them dead without leaving much of a blood trail. A pushed deer can travel along ways sometimes even with a boiler room shot.

I dropped a nice buck once that lay there 40 minutes looking dead and got up when the pushers got to me and ran like he was never hit. Took us awhile but we found him 200 yards away dead. Double lung and nicked the heart at 40 yards with a 490 grain 12ga slug.

On the other hand dad got a buck once only wound we found was his tail shot off. He has both ends as a momento to this day.

Deer can do strange thing even with a deadly well placed shot.

shaley
    Milford IA

I have tracked hard hit deer along ways before getting the kill shot. I have also tracked deer and found them dead without leaving much of a blood trail. A pushed deer can travel along ways sometimes even with a boiler room shot.

I dropped a nice buck once that lay there 40 minutes looking dead and got up when the pushers got to me and ran like he was never hit. Took us awhile but we found him 200 yards away dead. Double lung and nicked the heart at 40 yards with a 490 grain 12ga slug.

On the other hand dad got a buck once only wound we found was his tail shot off. He has both ends as a momento to this day.

Deer can do strange thing even with a deadly well placed shot.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

“The deer was wounded and moving”.

Deer move after being shot – we all know this. Deer also move to an area they know they are safe or feel safe. A wounded deer may travel quite some distance, then lay down. Given time, this deer may die, even if wounded. Wounded means a lot of things – it might mean given time it’s fatal.

Often times bow hunters will leave deer lie overnight or for several hours before searching – why, because wounded deer die.

When bow hunting I have seen deer die in 20 seconds and others I have tracked for 4-5 hours, found them bedded down and still alive, but too stiff or wounded to move for which the harvest was still completed.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

“The deer was wounded and moving”.

Deer move after being shot – we all know this. Deer also move to an area they know they are safe or feel safe. A wounded deer may travel quite some distance, then lay down. Given time, this deer may die, even if wounded. Wounded means a lot of things – it might mean given time it’s fatal.

Often times bow hunters will leave deer lie overnight or for several hours before searching – why, because wounded deer die.

When bow hunting I have seen deer die in 20 seconds and others I have tracked for 4-5 hours, found them bedded down and still alive, but too stiff or wounded to move for which the harvest was still completed.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Very good post and question.

I would say who ever had the first shot in the vitals,boiler room , or a kill area. If the first guy that shot it put his shot back or had leg, etc. then who ever dropped it. Some other considerations could come into play, but mainly that is what I would go by.

Z71 is right, Wounded deer dodie. Even if you hit a deer good, they can travel quite the distance, before expiring. That could be 2-3 farms away before they bed down and find refuge before expiring.

Or in Lips case a few years back, they could go 7.5 miles plus before putting a 2nd arrow in him.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Very good post and question.

I would say who ever had the first shot in the vitals,boiler room , or a kill area. If the first guy that shot it put his shot back or had leg, etc. then who ever dropped it. Some other considerations could come into play, but mainly that is what I would go by.

Z71 is right, Wounded deer dodie. Even if you hit a deer good, they can travel quite the distance, before expiring. That could be 2-3 farms away before they bed down and find refuge before expiring.

Or in Lips case a few years back, they could go 7.5 miles plus before putting a 2nd arrow in him.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is where common sense and common decency come in, some have it, some don’t. Hopefully the guy that “finishes” off your deer for you, is a stand up person. Again, common sense, if the first shot was good, it is their deer. If obviously, the deer is not critically wounded with the first shot, then whoever does critically wound it, it is theirs. Meaning, 1st, 2nd or even 3rd shot. Yes, there are some that can become pin cushions, especially in a draw hunt. Sad but reality.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is where common sense and common decency come in, some have it, some don’t. Hopefully the guy that “finishes” off your deer for you, is a stand up person. Again, common sense, if the first shot was good, it is their deer. If obviously, the deer is not critically wounded with the first shot, then whoever does critically wound it, it is theirs. Meaning, 1st, 2nd or even 3rd shot. Yes, there are some that can become pin cushions, especially in a draw hunt. Sad but reality.

big g

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

I’ve alway lived by the rule of first blood.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

I’ve alway lived by the rule of first blood.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

I think whoever puts the first “kill” shot on the deer gets it & i would argue that to the end because i feel that is what’s right. Some guy chucking five rounds of lead at a deer on a dead run in the brush doesnt deserve to keep that deer if he hits it in the leg.

This past gun season my dad heard a shot on opening morning. Seconds later a decent 9 point came over the hill. He took one shot and dropped it. When he was going to gut it out, the other hunter that had shot came over the hill then immediatly turned around. He must have knew that he didn’t hit it well. The shot from the first hunter broke his leg and that was it.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

I think whoever puts the first “kill” shot on the deer gets it & i would argue that to the end because i feel that is what’s right. Some guy chucking five rounds of lead at a deer on a dead run in the brush doesnt deserve to keep that deer if he hits it in the leg.

This past gun season my dad heard a shot on opening morning. Seconds later a decent 9 point came over the hill. He took one shot and dropped it. When he was going to gut it out, the other hunter that had shot came over the hill then immediatly turned around. He must have knew that he didn’t hit it well. The shot from the first hunter broke his leg and that was it.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Very touchy subject. Hopefully both parties involved have enough ethics to do the right thing either way and not have pride or ego get in the way.

Tough one, what if a person takes a shot at a running deer and the shot hits the hind quater and hits the femoral artery? Then said deer, on 3 legs, runs past a second hunter and he drops it? The first hunter made a poor shot but a very lethal one. Who gets the deer?

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Very touchy subject. Hopefully both parties involved have enough ethics to do the right thing either way and not have pride or ego get in the way.

Tough one, what if a person takes a shot at a running deer and the shot hits the hind quater and hits the femoral artery? Then said deer, on 3 legs, runs past a second hunter and he drops it? The first hunter made a poor shot but a very lethal one. Who gets the deer?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yes, a very touchy subject. In that scenario, I would think the guy with the first shot, would have a case. If he is tracking good blood and it is OBVIOUS the deer was going to expire, then it is his. If it is not obvious, I would let it go. Bottom line, I would not put a deer on the wall or in my freezer, that I am not 100% sure I am entitled too. Again, common sense and decency.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yes, a very touchy subject. In that scenario, I would think the guy with the first shot, would have a case. If he is tracking good blood and it is OBVIOUS the deer was going to expire, then it is his. If it is not obvious, I would let it go. Bottom line, I would not put a deer on the wall or in my freezer, that I am not 100% sure I am entitled too. Again, common sense and decency.

big g

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

common sense and decency.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

common sense and decency.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Tony, that law in iowa here is right and is on the books. The area i was hunting in a few years ago was being poached for the big bucks and the dnr got wind of a big one that was taken and caught the guy who got him. That same winter on opening day the dnr was on a couple hills watching with spotting scopes and ticketed everyone that shot a deer and it ran more than 100 yrds. The dnr here likes kill shots and im sure thats why the shot that puts the deer down for good is why that hunter technically gets the deer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Tony, that law in iowa here is right and is on the books. The area i was hunting in a few years ago was being poached for the big bucks and the dnr got wind of a big one that was taken and caught the guy who got him. That same winter on opening day the dnr was on a couple hills watching with spotting scopes and ticketed everyone that shot a deer and it ran more than 100 yrds. The dnr here likes kill shots and im sure thats why the shot that puts the deer down for good is why that hunter technically gets the deer.

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.