who’s is it ??????

• o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

One of our hunter’s shot a 140 class 10 pointer. The deer was wounded and moveing. He was tracking it and heard a shot. He got up there and this guy had shoot it. My question is {Who’s deer is this legaly?} What are the laws on someting like this. The deer had a 19.5 inside spread
    If I new how to post a pic. that was emailed to me I would post it.

The great part was it was his son who finished him off
    So he told his son it was his But who would the deer go to if it was someone else? We all know what the gentle man thing is to do but who would the deer go to by law?
    Thanks Jim

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I do not think that there is a law on this but in my book the guy who puts the deer down is the one who gets the buck. The reason I say this is if the second guy would not have shot the deer there is a chance that the guy who wounded the deer may never have found it. Just my 2 cents.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I do not think that there is a law on this but in my book the guy who puts the deer down is the one who gets the buck. The reason I say this is if the second guy would not have shot the deer there is a chance that the guy who wounded the deer may never have found it. Just my 2 cents.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Quote:

This is the way we do it in our hunting party as well sounds like a nice deer

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Quote:

This is the way we do it in our hunting party as well sounds like a nice deer

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I would say that if there was a good blood trail and it looked like the first shot would be fatal then it would be the first shot.But if was just wounded a congragulations to the guy that put it down

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I would say that if there was a good blood trail and it looked like the first shot would be fatal then it would be the first shot.But if was just wounded a congragulations to the guy that put it down

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

I disagree on that. If th first hunter did not hit the deer well then the second guy has a case to keep it but even a well hit deer can travel past another hunter before it goes down. This does not mean the first hunter did anything wrong. There is no reason the deer should not be his.
    Myself, I would never try to claim a deer I shot if another hunter shot it first.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

I disagree on that. If th first hunter did not hit the deer well then the second guy has a case to keep it but even a well hit deer can travel past another hunter before it goes down. This does not mean the first hunter did anything wrong. There is no reason the deer should not be his.
    Myself, I would never try to claim a deer I shot if another hunter shot it first.

birddog
    Mn.

For me it would depend on the “wounding” shot. If it was a good shot, decent tracking, and the deer would have more than likely been found, it goes to the original shooter. If it was a terrible shot, gut, hind end, leg, etc. forget it, it goes to the one that made the kill shot. We had this happen a few years back, my young(12) cousin made a poor shot on a spike, I gave the deer a couple hours as I knew it was going to be tough tracking, 1/4 mile into tracking we kicked it up and it went to a hunter from a different crew, he made the kill shot. We walked up to him, started talking about the tracking, as soon as heard my young cousin made the original shot he played along, “yep this deer was about ready to go down when I shot, it’s yours”! Great guy! We really didn’t feel we had much of an argument if he decided he wanted to keep, after all, it was a poor shot. My cousin was excited, first deer and all. As I was gutting the guy hung out and BS’d with us and reassured my young cousin he made a kill shot. Really a good, understanding guy!!

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

For me it would depend on the “wounding” shot. If it was a good shot, decent tracking, and the deer would have more than likely been found, it goes to the original shooter. If it was a terrible shot, gut, hind end, leg, etc. forget it, it goes to the one that made the kill shot. We had this happen a few years back, my young(12) cousin made a poor shot on a spike, I gave the deer a couple hours as I knew it was going to be tough tracking, 1/4 mile into tracking we kicked it up and it went to a hunter from a different crew, he made the kill shot. We walked up to him, started talking about the tracking, as soon as heard my young cousin made the original shot he played along, “yep this deer was about ready to go down when I shot, it’s yours”! Great guy! We really didn’t feel we had much of an argument if he decided he wanted to keep, after all, it was a poor shot. My cousin was excited, first deer and all. As I was gutting the guy hung out and BS’d with us and reassured my young cousin he made a kill shot. Really a good, understanding guy!!

BIRDDOG

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

In the state I live in it states in the rule book.That whom ever downed the deer is his or her deer.So if I shot a deer and was blood trailing it and anouther hunter shot it it would be his or her deer.If it was a lethel shot and the deer ran by me and i dowend it,I would give it to the guy who put the first lethel hit on it.This is were ethics comes in play.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

In the state I live in it states in the rule book.That whom ever downed the deer is his or her deer.So if I shot a deer and was blood trailing it and anouther hunter shot it it would be his or her deer.If it was a lethel shot and the deer ran by me and i dowend it,I would give it to the guy who put the first lethel hit on it.This is were ethics comes in play.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I had this exact scenario happen to me on my 2004 buck. I shot it first in the boiler room. the buck took off like a rocket and ran past another hunter. The other guy took a shot and hit it a little far back, but the deer dropped right after the shot. After I heard the second shot, I quickly got on the blood trail. I trailed it close to the other hunter and he told me right where it went down. Luckily for me, the other guy knew I made the first shot and he didn’t hesitate to let me have it, even after his shot put it down for good. But, sadly, it doesn’t always happen that easy

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I had this exact scenario happen to me on my 2004 buck. I shot it first in the boiler room. the buck took off like a rocket and ran past another hunter. The other guy took a shot and hit it a little far back, but the deer dropped right after the shot. After I heard the second shot, I quickly got on the blood trail. I trailed it close to the other hunter and he told me right where it went down. Luckily for me, the other guy knew I made the first shot and he didn’t hesitate to let me have it, even after his shot put it down for good. But, sadly, it doesn’t always happen that easy

shaley
    Milford IA

I grew up always being told first blood gets the deer. We have gave some nice bucks up over the years to this rule. With no regrets I might add. We have also had a few stolen from us by neighbors to, one was even nice enough to give my partner his arrow back that was stuck in the deer he tagged.

shaley
    Milford IA

I grew up always being told first blood gets the deer. We have gave some nice bucks up over the years to this rule. With no regrets I might add. We have also had a few stolen from us by neighbors to, one was even nice enough to give my partner his arrow back that was stuck in the deer he tagged.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

I grew up always being told first blood gets the deer

first blood why would you want to even tag a deer you “finished” off for someone.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

first blood why would you want to even tag a deer you “finished” off for someone.

shayla

Quote:

Quote:

NOT IN RIPLEY….which is why I didn’t apply.

shayla

Quote:

Quote:

NOT IN RIPLEY….which is why I didn’t apply.

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

If it’s a kill shot, it should be your deer. If you shoot it in the hind-end or the leg and someone else shoots it and takes the animal down, it should go to the person who took it down. But, again, if the original shot was a kill shot, no doubt it should go to the guy who made the kill shot! Like what was said above, why would you want to tag a deer you “Finish Off” for another hunter??

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

If it’s a kill shot, it should be your deer. If you shoot it in the hind-end or the leg and someone else shoots it and takes the animal down, it should go to the person who took it down. But, again, if the original shot was a kill shot, no doubt it should go to the guy who made the kill shot! Like what was said above, why would you want to tag a deer you “Finish Off” for another hunter??

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

I view Ripley a lot different than some: If I make a kill shot on a deer and track it to another hunter who also shot the same deer, and is claiming it to be his – well I will tell you this much……

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

I view Ripley a lot different than some: If I make a kill shot on a deer and track it to another hunter who also shot the same deer, and is claiming it to be his – well I will tell you this much……

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

Just change the situation: The guy who finished him off, had no rite to be on the property at all. He was trespassing? Now what would you say or feel—-

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

Just change the situation: The guy who finished him off, had no rite to be on the property at all. He was trespassing? Now what would you say or feel—-

shaley
    Milford IA

Simple use your trespasser tag.

shaley
    Milford IA

Simple use your trespasser tag.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I would say it is all up to how much of a sportsmen everyone is. Me personally would give the deer up to the first shooter due to what were my chances of hitting the deer if not already wounded, second if he tracked it to me good chance was he was going to track the deer to its point of death. But not everyone out there is a true sportsmen!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.