crankin battery

• clawman
    Spokane Wa

I think I need to replace my cranking battery, when running for 3 hours a Lowrance HS 7 and 9 touch and radio my Yamaha F200 cranks slow and such draw that the fish finders shut own. I always have the batteries plugged in when in the garage. The battery is 3 yrs old Interstate group 24.
    So with all of that said, what is a good battery?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’d go group 29… if running your electronics on your cranker. Interstates for me grin

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d go group 29… if running your electronics on your cranker. Interstates for me grin

X2. The size 24 is too small for this load.

-J.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

You guys that are recommending the group 29, Id assume thats just the deep cycle VS the actual starting/cranking battery? I see interstate largest cranking/starting battery is a group 27.

Are you guys worried about the lower cranking amps on the deep cycle vs the starting battery?

big_g
    Isle, MN

never have been in my 15+ years of using the 29’s as a cranker too.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have a group 31 as my starting battery. That is the battery that Eddie Lybeck from Lybeck’s marine recommended. The reason your locators shut down on the start up is that you don’t have them directly wired to the battery. Having them wired into the fuse box will cause that to happen even with a bigger battery when it starts to lose a charge. Before you buy a new battery, try the direct wire route with the locators, with inline fuses of course. 3 years on a starting battery isn’t all that long, there should be a year or two left in that one.

clawman
    Spokane Wa

What type batteries are you using?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I bought a new Interstate from Everts last year as my old one died…great price and Steve installed it…cant beat that!

puddlepounder

Mine is a group 31 deep cycle with about 1200 MCA. As far as the brand, I never looked. It is the same battery that he installs in the new yarcraft and basscat boats that he sells. You didn’t mention if your locators were wired into the fuse box or did you already have them directly wired to the battery?

clawman
    Spokane Wa

Took the battery out and over to Interstate dealer. The battery has a bad cell. Mfg date April 2012. I asked the guy how long is the life expectancy. He said 3-7 years. This is less than 3 years and it has not been abuse or even used that much but kept charged by Minnkota 3 bank charger. I asked him why I should buy another Interstate battery when this one failed so soon, he said because he is sure the next one would be better buy he would not do anything about it.
    Good bye Interstate!!

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Go to Walmart and buy a Everstart get the biggest one that will fit in the space ,group 29/27 dual purpose or deep cycle. I have ran these for a long time with good luck and if a warranty issue arizes there is a Walmart most place you go! I won’t deal with Inter state anymore!

Stan wave

big_g
    Isle, MN

yes, ALL other batteries last forever and the manufacturers ignore their written warranty and hand them out like candy at a parade…. doah wave I am sure they are mourning the loss…. jester

puddlepounder

Is there any other indicators that there is a bad cell? Slow cranking, not taking a charge, have to jump to start? Sounds like a salesman may be trying to sell a battery. Over all the years and all the batteries I have bought, I never had one have a cell go bad. If the only indicator is the locators shutting down on start up, I would have another battery shop check it out, just don’t tell them that you think you are having a problem with it. If you do need a new one, I think cabelas has their AGM’s on sale right now

clawman
    Spokane Wa

At the
    Interstate distributor they load tested it and said it is fine but let me do one more check. He then used a hydrometer and it was obvious one cell is flat.
    Cal

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.