Cordless chainsaws brands and extra battery ?'s

• basseyes

Have been looking at cordless chainsaws. Was pretty apprehensive about a cordless chainsaw, but after talking to multiple people, am really warming up to having one in the arsenal. Already have 4 gas saws and like the ones I got, but would like a small, lite saw for cutting off stuff that’s missed will clearing trails through mainly alders and small aspens at the end of the day where I don’t have to pull start a saw for a cut or 2.

The extra battery cost has me a little spooked, and don’t want to go without an extra battery.

Have looked at stihl, dewalt and echo’s.

Like them all but really seem to favor the stihl and echo. More about feel and weight more than anything. Run dewalt cordless tools already and like them, so a dewalt isn’t a stretch.

Anybody that owns them or used them have any opinions on battery life and recharging time on the batteries?

And is there a cheaper source for extra batteries vs a dealer or retailer?

Is any brand far superior to another?

Is there brands to avoid?

Open to ideas for other brands too.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have the 12″ 20 volt dewalt and it is great, I already had all of the batteries and bought the bare tool on line and it’s perfect for little stuff.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

For brands to avoid- Black and Decker

JEREMY
    BP

I have a 16″ Milwaukee and seems to work great. I bought it cause there was a deal that it came with an extra battery. 12ah battery is like $250. Never opened the spare. Cut up two pine trees not sure how tall but about 10″ at base and battery gauge still showed half charge. I think ive filled bar oil like 4 times and charged battery twice.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Get a small power inverter for your truck if the cost of big extra batteries is too much. Bring your charger and pop the battery on the charger when you need to or whenever you take a break.

This has worked great for me for years with cordless tools.

Grouse

munchy
    NULL

The Milwaukee is hard to beat (except for the cost). I’ve even seen a couple tree crews with them in their arsenal.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Given Basseyes situation with already owning DeWalt, I can’t see going any other direction. Even with lower amp hour batteries, there’s enough zip for shorter cutting sessions.

I can’t see getting into a whole other battery system by going with any other brand. You’re just adding complication and expense.

I’d think most guys who have a cordless tool arsenal are getting more and more locked in terms of the more tools you buy, the less you’re likely to switch brands or systems. So my bet would be DeWalt’s 18/20 and Milwaukee’s M18 tools and batteries will be available for many, many years.

I’ve had good luck with generic aftermarket batteries for my Milwaukee M18 tools so I can’t see why DeWalt would be any different if you wanted extra batteries. I don’t have a lot of tools, I have about 7 Milwaukee M18 tools, but that guarantees I’ll be trying to keep them running as long as possible.

Grouse

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have the dewalt to. Purchased that brand due to having batteries already. I run 5 ah batteries in it. Can get roughly about 20 minutes of heavy use out of it. Would be more for smaller logs and trimming. Thats plenty for light duty yard work and trimming.

Cutting speed is very slow compared to a gas saw.

B-man

No brainier to go with DeWalt since you already have it.

The 5 amp 20 volt will be fine for most of what you describe. For heavier use, the 60volt flex volt is incredible.

It would be a kick ass battery for ice fishing too! All over online and in store for $100 or less.

https://www.newegg.com/p/300-000Z-00008?item=9SIAAYJ9FK7388&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-mobile-_-pla-autobodynow-_-tools+-+batteries-_-9SIAAYJ9FK7388&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwIPrBRCJARIsAFlVT8_OM48rWtRqomFi2hfOJ6WYsoRxwuQYW0ujRgicNMjhJ23RVZgNw_oaAga4EALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/p/DEWALT-CB606-Lithium-ion-Battery-Pack-20V-60V/3011379890?iid=323891499772

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cutting speed is very slow compared to a gas saw.

Curious what saw you have. I have a 40v DeWalt XR, and I dare say it’s as fast as a similarly sized gas saw. I’ve really been happy with it.
    The one drawback is that it’s on the heavy side.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

I have the 60 volt 16” Dewalt. love it!

basseyes

Appreciate all the information!

Agree about getting locked into the tools you already have. You get hog tied to the batteries eventually once you collect enough tools and hard and expensive to switch brands. I like dewalt and they have been good to me. But truth be told would switch to Milwaukee if I wanted to sell and upgrade all the tools. My oldest runs all Milwaukee cordless and really like their tools. That being said, I’m pretty locked into dewalt and don’t really care all that much to switch.

Have seen a lot of arborists going to cordless sawzalls for pruning and am going to ad some pruning blades to the arsenal as well. Have 2 cordless sawzalls.

Still like gas saws. Have 2 smaller echo CS-370’s and can go a long time on a tank of gas. But even working on all my own junk and being familiar with them, all the 2 stroke issues get old after a while.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.