Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I love winter fishing!

Nice one Ryan!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

32″ x 18″

For us old timers, what would that bad boy weigh?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Quote:

Quote:

32″ x 18″

For us old timers, what would that bad boy weigh?

12-14lbs Sounds about right.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

27×16

05/11/2010

Pool 2

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

30×20
    05/19/2010
    Upper Mississippi
    Biggest of the year so far!

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Man you guys keep knockin ’em outta the park. Sweet! Mind tellin me what bait you’re usin? Like cut sucker or shad or something? Good job!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Quote:

All of the biggest fish have come on pieces of cut sucker 1″ – 2″ long. We’ve been using the middle of the minnows, no heads or tails. I have a feeling with the warmer weather we’ll start using bigger pieces of bait soon.

Yep – thats the ticket

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

29×15
    Pool 2
    05/23/2010

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I broke my streak of bad luck this morning! So many thanks to all those who gave advice about fishing cats this time of year. I listened and it paid off. I fished close to shore in shallow water just below a submerged sandbar. There was a circle about 20 feet across that seemed to be The Spot this morning.

Caught this one at about 6AM in 4-6 FOW fishing chicken liver on a #4/0 Gamkatsu octopus hook. I really love those hooks, they’re super sharp, thin enough to penetrate easily, yet super strong.

3.24# on the Rapala digital scale.

While this is the only one I pulled in this morning, the action was unbelievable! I actually went thru almost a whole tub of liver in less than 90 minutes! That reminds me, I have to find some of that rotten shad stinkbait up here in my area…

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

28×18
    05/25/2010
    Pool 2

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice fish!

Those rocks look familiar. I think I tinkled there once.

armchairdeity

Sure, show me up right away… ;-) NICE FISH!!!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

30″ caught yesterday on the Minnesota near Courtland. Almost lost my rod on this one!

codycroteau1
    La Crosse Wisconsin

just wondering cuz im new to this kind of fishing, ive been told that catfish can sting you with their whiskers, and ive been told that they cant! for you pros, whats the answer? a pm would be easiest for me to find out if anyone replied

armchairdeity

Sent u a PM but figured I’d put it here too:

Cats can jab you with the spines in their pectoral and dorsal fins, but their whiskers are just external taste buds they use to find food.

A good jab with those fins, though, can hurt for hours or even days. Their slime gets in the wound and makes it bleeeeeeeeeeed, too. Just be careful and you’ll be fine.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Wait until you fall in your boat and stand up with one still attached too your posterior, it dosen’t heal for months.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Wait until you fall in your boat and stand up with one still attached too your posterior, it dosen’t heal for months.

Sounds like a personal experience

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya It was. We had been running lines that night with the water coming up down at the reservior. We tried it at another spot earlier and only caught a few so we switched rivers. We had so many in the bottom of the boat it got greasy and you know the rest of the story. Its a good thing it hit off center or it would have gone all the way to the bone and it was around 6 or 7 pounds. I stood up and knew what happened and felt the weight back there and I thought well its now or never and pulled hard and I could feel my skin stretch.

Just from the chemicals off the top dorsal it litterly didn’t quit discharging slowly for a few months and didn’t completely heal for about 8 or 9, no kidding. Thank god for carpeting in the bottom of the boat that I have their now, well have to reinstall here pretty soon, got a diffrent jon boat.

armchairdeity

Durn, Mossy! I was only nicked by a bullhead once and it hurt for _hours_ and bled like I’d had an arm chopped off. Getting a cat spine embedded like that… Makes many brief, explosive words come to kind.

It also makes me think maybe Spike would be a good nickname for you fro now on!

armchairdeity

Dude, did you check the tail on that think? It looks a little… off… to me.

It kinda looks like a trophy black bullhead to me…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

We don’t have many bullheads down this way anymore, their used to be alot of them, even in the river but their hard to find anymore. It does resemble a very nice bullhead, especially the tail.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

There are plenty of giveaways that it isn’t a bullhead. Color and shape are of a channel, but even if those aren’t reliable, that cat has an over bite. Bullheads have perfect jaw alignment. No overbite or underbite.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Bully imo

armchairdeity

Quote:

There are plenty of giveaways that it isn’t a bullhead. Color and shape are of a channel, but even if those aren’t reliable, that cat has an over bite. Bullheads have perfect jaw alignment. No overbite or underbite.

Yeah, but the angles are bad… it’s impossible to tell if that’s a camera angle issue or an actual overbite. That’s why I wanted to know if he checked THE WAY to make sure, blunt vs forked tail.

As for color and shape, it’s just as much the color and shape of a big black bullhead. State record black is 17×14, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

OTOH, I’m gonna assume that RyanK knows his waters and stuff…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.