Lake Sturgeon Basics

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Let’s talk about the last first. Holding the fish and the release. Unfortunate for the Lake Sturgeon, their gill covers make good handles.

Take care of your catch. Use a net if you want to weight them. Sturgeon are very hardy, but keep them out of the water long enough to get your measurements, take a few photos and then make sure she’s ready to swim before the release. With the larger fish it’s easier to “revive” them in your net than hang over the side of the boat. Some larger fish in the 50 inch or better class will take a bite longer to bring around. Watch for them to “belch”. Shortly after that they will be ready to go.

Hoky doke…TERMINAL TACKLE

For terminal tackle many will be using a 2 or 3 oz No Roll Sinker, a swivel rated above 80 lbs and a 3/0 Team Catfish Double Action hook or equivalent. Twenty pound mono or super braids like Tug O War.. in the 40 to 80 pound range will work fine. 80 pound is over kill, but if that’s what you have spooled, don’t be afraid to use it.

I get a little nervous around 20 pound mono, but there are some that use it all the time and catch some heavy sturgeon.

Sturgeon are not leader or hook shy, no need to worry about color or trimming the ends of your knots.

BAIT

Most will use crawlers. Two to five on a hook. Some cut them first…while others warm them in there mouth. There are so many different ways to get the “edge” on sturgeon…well, each can decide.

Fathead minnows are used too. Same hook, just place 3 to 5 fatheads on the hook and cut one or two in half…you’re good to go.

Slices of suckers or creek chub is another top choice. Key word here is “fresh”.

RODS

A heavy bass rod works on most fish, but if you get into a biggie…well I’ve heard some pretty strange cracking come out of them! Please do not bring under powered walleye or bass rods. You won’t be doing yourself or the fish any favors by taking an hour to land one.

The perfect rod will have a very soft tip for detecting bites. Seldom will you get a bite that bends the rod over. Most of the time it’s what I call a “sunfish bite”. Soft tips are good for detecting this…but the rod also needs to have the backbone to land fish in the 20 lbs and up size.

Me? My boat is set up with the Team Catfish I-Cat carbon fiber rod. Perfect for detecting bites and bringing in the big guys.

If you’re planning on using a flathead rod, I would suggest holding it to detect bites. It’s really amazing how light of a bite sturgeon have.

REELS

I use the Garcia 6500’s. A reel in that class will work great. If you are using the circle hooks…and I strongly recommend them…the reels do not need a line out alarm. Once there’s a nibble, just sweep the rod back and FISH ON!

There are some that keep the bail open and their finger on the line. Once they feel that little something…it’s fish on!

BOAT and ANCHORS

Wind is not your friend while sturgeon fishing. Many will have two anchors along to keep the boat from swinging. I recommend it.

Rod holders make fishing more enjoyable.

Two rods is allowed per angler.

When anchoring…remember the next boats anchor is likely to be 50 or more feet a head of the boat. I generally ask permission when I anchor. I remember the last time I asked…they said SURE want a beer?!

NETS

Now that you have your 50 pound fish to the boat, how will you get him IN the boat!? All of the cat guys have large nets…some have HUGE nets…although a net make life more pleasant, running out any purchasing one isn’t really a financially sound decision since you might only use it once a year.

When the fish is up next to the boat, put one hand just ahead of the tail then use your other arm to cradle the fish and support it’s middle weight…then just lift him in. If you run into a REALLY big fish, it might take two of you to do this. The good thing is that most of the time when a sturgeon comes to the top…she’ll be tuckered out and will hold still enough to bring ‘er aboard.

Please do not lift these guys out of the water buy their gill plates.

RECORDING YOUR CATCH

A camera is a must have.

Many have seamstress tape measures that go to 72 inches..at least (about $3 at Fashion Bug). Take a length and girth (at the widest part of the fish, normally the belly).

Clothing

Don’t forget the PFD’s!

Clothing. Be prepared for COLD and you’ll be ok either way.

TAGGED FISH and THE DNR

Our MN DNR guys have been working hard at tracking these fish.

If you see a (most of the time) yellow tag on the back of a fish, please do not remove it. Record the numbers on the tag, the length and girth of the fish. The DNR isn’t real exact on location.

THE STURGEON DANCE

I hope many of you see your rod tip shake and have the opportunity to see a 50 inch OR longer fish go from 30 feet of water to airborne in a matter of seconds…and then back down to the bottom again. I get goose bumps just thinking about the last one that did that.

You might wonder how a fish can do this without blowing it’s swim bladder. Sturgeon are of a few fresh water fish that are physostomus, (don’t ask me to pronounce it, I can barely spell it!) meaning their gas bladders are connected to the gullet by a duct. Walleyes, crappies and perch are physoclistous, they use their blood to put gas into and release gas from their swim bladders.

With this duct, they can release the gas in their bladders much faster, hence the 30 foot depth change. Many times when reviving a sturgeon you will see a “burp” of bubbles coming out of the gill area. Generally it’s because your hand is supporting the bladder area under the fish and pushing the air out.

Although the above seems cut and dried, there are many variations to sturgeon fishing. There are others with a huge amount of experience to draw on. I’m sure they will share if a question is asked. No dumb questions here!

One word of caution while fishing the St Croix in daylight or darkness. It’s everyone’s responsibility to watch out for boats heading in your direction. Every year there’s talk about how close a fisherman has come to being hit by another boat while anchored.

I keep all my nav lights on and the spotlight is never far away and ready to go.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Stay safe and stick a bigun!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

As long as we’re here. And I need it by the way. What is the length x girth conversion for approximate weight again?

lhprop1
    Eagan

This may be a basic question, but what are some things to look for, structure wise, to find these fish.

I usually just fish the community hole and do fairly well, but I wouldn’t mind venturing off and trying to find a hidden gem.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Thanks Bk. Got a pic of my New Chippewa fish in the PB post

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Having a good sonar is by far the best way to find Sturgeon. If they are off the bottom there’s no way a person can miss those arches!

When they lay on the bottom is when a person finds out how good their sonar really is.

Look for groups. The do travel in pods in the cooler water.

Other areas to fish are along ledges and in neck down areas. Still they are found in the middle of basins sifting through the silt looking for invertebrates or shad that died off due to the changing water temps.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

One heck of write up BK

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Last night we where finding them on the edge of deep water on the curent seems.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

On Monday, we were finding them in about 40 FOW off a steep drop. Then again, I am far from an expert on sturgeon, which is why I was the one who caught the channel cat!

paulk
    River Falls, WI

Do you use reels with a bait clicker? If so, do you close the bail or leave it open with the clicker on? I am using “musky” rods/reels so they are pretty heavy so it has been a little tricky detecting the subtle bites if there is any wind or boat movement.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Do you use reels with a bait clicker? If so, do you close the bail or leave it open with the clicker on? I am using “musky” rods/reels so they are pretty heavy so it has been a little tricky detecting the subtle bites if there is any wind or boat movement.

If the rod is in the holder and its not windy or wavey I leave the clicker off. If its wavy or windy I leave the clicker on. If I’m holding the rod I leave the clicker off and feel for the bites.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Just a couple things to add to above. For bait if you can find Fresh frozen shad it works great for sturgeon. DO NOT BUY THE FREEZE DRIED STUFF IT DOESN’T WORK! Also when looking for sturgeon. if you can find schools of shad you will find sturgeon around also.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

life1978,

Last year, I fished the Wisconsin North of Madison with pretty good luck. I tried fresh shad (caught the same day) and did not have any luck with it at all. Could it be that there are no shad in the Wisconsin? I don’t know that river up there very well so I am not sure if there are shad or not. BTW, we used crawlers with great sucess.

L8R…Ken

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’ve been hit or miss inland in Wisconsin too since I moved here. Somedays shad catch a lot and somedays they don’t. So I always try it to see what they want. Generally they have prefered worms and fathead minnows inland wisconsin for me. On the St Croix on the other hand they are the prefered bait of choice hands down. It’s about all I’ve ever got fish on.

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

Thanks for the info Bk! I will certainly be leaving the stiff muskie rod at home for my trolling rods I catch catfish with. I was wondering if you, or anyone else on the forum for that matter, knew of any spots where a guy could hit the shoreline (on public areas), and have a very decent shot of getting some sturgeon? I can haul a 3 oz sinker with bait out about 75 yards or so, just for reference of how far I can reach. Thanks!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Thanks for the info Bk! I will certainly be leaving the stiff muskie rod at home for my trolling rods I catch catfish with. I was wondering if you, or anyone else on the forum for that matter, knew of any spots where a guy could hit the shoreline (on public areas), and have a very decent shot of getting some sturgeon? I can haul a 3 oz sinker with bait out about 75 yards or so, just for reference of how far I can reach. Thanks!

PM sent

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Honestly I’ve seen sturgeon caught on all kinds of rods. The key is to have a little bit of give in the tip to visually detect the bites. Line choice can become crutial where superbraids are always better for bite detection, especially on long cast. When the fish are aggressively feeding it doesn’t matter and a broomstick will do just fine, if nothing else you will realize you have a fish when you reel in to check your bait. Other days the bites are very finicky and they don’t hold it long, so you nearly need to hold the rod with any set up. In all honesty the waves are often more of a factor in bite detection as most fish in the windswept areas. Anchoring is crucial and you want as minimal boat sway as possible or your in for a frustrating day.

Sturgeon fishing is honestly pretty easy, the tough part is getting a system down and keeping on active fish, and keeping your boat under control to detect the finicky bites. Keep your bait fresh and do a little leg work and it shouldn’t be long before your hooking into fish.

Terminal tackle goes by preference, I prefer and swear by 3/0 gamakatsu circles on the Croix, my hookup rate is excellent and ive never had a swallowed hook. If you use a mono leader, I recommend checking it often, the small fish are sharp and tend to damage them. A mono leader also reduces line twist on the fall in deep water reducing tangles.. for this same reason leave the no-rolls at home, they spin like helicopters if your line isn’t piano wire dropping 30 feet.

I really don’t recommend using gear too light for these fish, especially the big fish. Sure you can land one on an ultralight, but its really hard on the fish. I recommend at least 20# mono, or 40# power pro and a rod suitable to handle it with some backbone.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Thanks for the re-cap Brian, great info for just about everyone!

Joel

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.