Are you a “Dip” ‘r

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

How many of you catfishermen use dipbaits?

I am a guide on the Red River of the North and have never used it when guiding. I have tried it in the past and do say that you do catch a bunch of fish with it. What I do not like about it is that the cats you catch seem to be all less than 1.5lbs and they swallow the hook down into their belly and are hard to release without hurting.

Also if you do use dipbaits, do you use a spong or a worm or something else? What are your favorite brands of bait?

For me fresh cutbait is the only way to go!

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I have a friend (steve Vick) that swears by it…… he says that you gotta have it to catch fish…. I will stick to my cutbaite… I think he uses…sonny’s and he is in love with it….

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

……….and who’s got the biggest cat of the year so far??????HMMMMMMMM…..Kind of makes ya wonder huh?

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

Yes, but what did you Catch it on????? Truly a nice channel cat….. How did he taste????? ha ha

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’ve been called a dip many times but I’m not a dip’r either. I agree they catch small cats.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I confess, when it comes to cats I’m a dipper. I also prefer Sonnys over any other dip bait that I have tried so far. As far as small cats go, maybe your not going to catch a 30 pound flathead on it but good sized channels will take it. I personally know of several people who have caught channels over 10 pounds on it. If your looking for real big cats maybe live or cut bait is better, but, if your looking to catch a mess of cats Sonnys is king!!!

graybeard
    Iowa

You bet I am. Maybe not all the time, but I always carry it with me. Very seldom you can’t catch something on it. Little ones are better than nothing, and for eating size it can’t be beat. I usually use a snap swivel, and if they swallow it , just hook on a different worm and get it back when you clean them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.