Big Stone Lake

• al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

So after doing Winnibigosh the last few years my dad wants try staying in the wheelhouse. I have tried to talk him into Red or Mille Lacs but he is set on Big Stone. Is there a night bite there? If not, I’m really going to push him for a lake that has one. I have never fished it at night so I have no idea.

Smellson

Limited experience for me, but after the sun went down we got a couple Crappies but that was it.

Dash Adams

Big Stone is my home lake. Right Now the Lake is Full of Perch and a lot of gills to. Right now you really have to work to catch the keeper Perch – the lake is full of small ones. Lots of sorting. The bite has switched to a 1st two hours of the day and last 2 hours. Mid day has been tough.

As for a night bite I;m guessing you’d be looking to catch Walleyes and Crappies and I wouldn’t say that’s the strong suit of the lake. I would also add I don’t do a lot of night fishing so someone may know more about that than I.

tornadochaser

Rent a wheel house on LQP from Watson Hunt camp. Run up to big stone and chase perch during the day, return to LQP for night walleye/crappie bite.

zooks

Rent a wheel house on LQP from Watson Hunt camp. Run up to big stone and chase <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch during the day, return to LQP for night walleye/crappie bite.

This is a good idea or at least another option if you’re bringing your own wheelhouse. I’ve heard you can get around really well on LQP this winter and they for sure have a more defined night bite.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Is there a walleye bite to chase shallow on structure on big stone at all? Or just hit and miss?

zooks

Is there a walleye bite to chase shallow on structure on big stone at all? Or just hit and miss?

IMO it’s a bit hit and miss. The far north end of the lake has been fairly consistent the last few years but after first ice, shallow rocks and weeds has always been a dart throw. Check back on that in March/April, though.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There’s virtually NO structure to speak of on that lake. At least from an “offshore” stand point. We used to go there every spring and it was like a barren wasteland other than shoreline structure. Trolling crank baits with planer boards was the most effective.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Trolling crank baits with planer boards was the most effective.

Gonna be hard to pull boards with 20″ of ice and snow on the lake.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.