Best SUV for towing-used

• tim hurley

Was thinking about getting a Pilot but the reviews I’ve read make it seem kinda so-so. Would I be better off with a 4_runner? Anyone own a PJ cruiser by Toyota? Like the idea that the pilot has cylinders that cut out at cruising speed for better MPG. My boat is just an 18′ aluminum so I don’t need or want an 8 cylinder. Thanks

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What kind of 18′ aluminum? Certain 18’s ain’t no small boat for a 6 cylinder straight up.

tim hurley

I will be getting a G3 with a 40hp 4 stroke-so not a row boat but not a 20′ Triton either. Also wondering if I need 4wd-Have it on my old Jeep and almost never use it-nice to know its there I guess (use it out on the ice, have never used it towing a boat)
    Thanks

David Blais

I would think either would do fine. We have a 4runner. I would get 4wheel drive. I’ve been in some boat ramps that you definitely needed it

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This is a pretty loaded question. A used SUV could be anything from a year old Yukon worth $45k+ to a 1996 Blazer with 300k miles.

SUVs I’ve been in that have towed medium sized boats and did well:
    -2012 Ford Explorer
    -2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    -mid 2000’s Chevy Trailblazer

tim hurley

45 large for a used truck???? Wow.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah, the truck UVs are crazy. Tahoe/Yukon are great tow vehicles but man will they set you back a pretty penny.

Are you looking to tow long distances? The more towing miles you’re looking to put on the bigger I’d go…

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Ive got a 13′ Toyota Sequoia. Is a POS for towing. Short wheel base and independent rear suspension really make it bad. Primarily the short wheelbase is my biggest complaint I think. Its a few inches shorter than my f150 yet heavier, my sequoia is all over the road in cross winds even w/o a trailer and while towing my 16′ v front yetti at freeway speeds is just scary at times. Idid add air bags to the rear and it helped and also leveled the fish house when towing but it sure hate towing my fish house with it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I tow with a 2006 Dodge Durango with a 5.7 hemi. Tows fine. No issues with cross winds. 177k miles.

Sounds like you are prepared to spend a little more than the type of vehicle i use. I would look at a suburban, Tahoe, or Durango with a full size V8. I would stay away from a ford explosion or 4 runner. I’m a big fan of Toyota but not for towing unless you’re talking a tundra

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Any of the vehicles mentioned will do the job. Just how well that job gets done will vary.

Wouldn’t worry about a bigger truck. Gas mileage might suck on trips but that’s no biggie. 16′ will tow easy enough. 4wd is nice but not imperative. Sure makes ice fishing easier and winter trips with trailers nice as well.

Good luck in your search.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Ive got a 13′ Toyota Sequoia. Is a POS for towing. Short wheel base and independent rear suspension really make it bad. Primarily the short wheelbase is my biggest complaint I think. Its a few inches shorter than my f150 yet heavier, my sequoia is all over the road in cross winds even w/o a trailer and while towing my 16′ v front yetti at freeway speeds is just scary at times. Idid add air bags to the rear and it helped and also leveled the fish house when towing but it sure hate towing my fish house with it.

A set of heavier rated tires will help your sway while towing. Try a load range c tire with more air pressure.

tim hurley

Anyone have experience with a Toyota Highlander? My mechanic likes the Pilot and the 4runner. He pulled a heavy boat from Wisc.(with a Pilot) and said it struggled a bit on the hills by the river, he said that unless you pulled a boat up a big hill every day that mechanically that would not be a problem. Some guys if 3 times a year their vehicle struggled a bit they would trade it in for a fat 8 cylinder that would get poor gas milage all year. Want something for commuting and towing. Thanks

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

In my experience the gas mileage difference between a V6 and V8 is not all that much, maybe 2-3 mpg better and that isn’t worth the added stress on the V6 and the other limitations.

For me, I will always have a commuter car and a full size truck for towing. I drive beaters though so my total investment isn’t much

Crappy Fisherman

I tow a Lund 1875 Pro Guide with 90 4 stroke, 2700 pounds total. Pull it with a 2014 Dodge Durango V6,8 speed tranny, all wheel drive. Very stable, don’t even know the boat is back there. The mirrors are ok but not like truck mirrors. I get 16.5 to 19 mpg at freeway speeds. I have the towing package and anti sway package. I’m very happy with this setup. I pulled a 20 foot pontoon with it. Wouldn’t recommend that on a regular basis.

tim hurley

Sounds like a good set up CF. How does the anti sway package help you? Do the extra gears in the tranny help too (as far as towing and/or MPG0)

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mark-bruzek wrote:</div>

A set of heavier rated tires will help your sway while towing. Try a load range c tire with more air pressure.

I had considered that too, when I put on tires 2 years ago I went Yokahoma Geolandar AT-S Load range E. It did not change.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

MB– usually the stiffer sidewall of LR E tire helps with sway. Sorry it didn’t help.

Dan Baker

I tow my Bayliner 175 with a 2015 Ford Explorer. It does a really nice job. Never had issues with trailer sway. I get 20-22 mpg normally and 13-15 when towing.

Anyone have experience with a Toyota Highlander?

I have a 2013 Highlander, I think it’s rated for 5000lbs. I’ve only used it to tow my 14′ tiller and snowmobile, so pretty light loads. It gets about 18mpg pulling those, about 22mpg otherwise.

jake47
    WI

I tow my Bayliner 175 with a 2015 Ford Explorer. It does a really nice job. Never had issues with trailer sway. I get 20-22 mpg normally and 13-15 when towing.

Do you have the Ecoboost in your Explorer? I have the 3.5L Eco in my F-150 that will likely be traded in (doesn’t fit 4 carseats…) for a Expedition EL with the same motor.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve got a 2014 Honda Pilot and an older 17.5 Lund Pro V. The Pilot pulls it fine. I used to pull it with a Yukon XL. It did take a bit to get used to the shorter wheel base. Backing it up is more touchy than with the Yukon. I’m guessing gas mileage difference between the Yukon the the Honda is about 5 mpg (13 to 18).

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

I pull a boat similar to yours. I had a 2011 Chevy Traverse front wheel drive that worked great and milage was 16-18. Never had a problem with two wheel drive. I now have a 2017 Toyota Highlander all wheel drive. It also does a great job and milage is between 18-20. I really like the Highlander for a all around vehicle. Mileage in town is around 17-20 and on the road 27-30 depending on the wind.

Crappy Fisherman

Sounds like a good set up CF. How does the anti sway package help you? Do the extra gears in the tranny help too (as far as towing and/or MPG0)

The anti sway package is great. The 8 speed is great when not towing. When towing it pretty much stays in 6th or 7th gear. With a lighter boat in 8th gear I could probably get low 20s mpg. I think I’m at the upper limit for towing. When not towing I average mid to upper 20s, it’s great on gas. If I pull my 8×12 Triton aluminum the mpg drops to 14 mpg. It’s very weight sensitive. Plenty of power for a V6.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I am a little late to the party but my FIL has a Pilot and hauls his Honda Pioneer SXS (about 2k pounds) all over and it does well for him. He has a trailer with trailer brakes and makes it much better.

The other part to think about is a crash. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks a lady broadsided him and never hit the brakes until she hit him doing 30-35 on his driver door. He had no injury other than a little sore.

There are plus and minuses for every vehicle.

tim hurley

Thanks for all the great info. O4life crash info is super important, Honda has a great record in that dept.
    Crappy still not sure what the anti-sway actually does.
    thanks

Dan Baker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>

Do you have the Ecoboost in your Explorer? I have the 3.5L Eco in my F-150 that will likely be traded in (doesn’t fit 4 carseats…) for a Expedition EL with the same motor.

No it’s the NA 3.5 V6. I think it’s rated at 290 horse.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Bang for your buck get a crewcab pickup truck if it’s an option. If you are up north get 4wd. Your resale will be terrible with 2wd. If you really want an SUV you can save a lot of money getting a Ford Edge or Durango over a pilot and they’ll probably tow better

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Another good option for value would be a Nissan Pathfinder 3rd row roomy and cheaper than Toyota or Honda

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.