?’s for owners of fiberglass bass boats

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Hey guys:

Well, I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a bass boat. I was just wondering about fiberglass vs. aluminum. To the owners of fiberglass bass boats (or others with experience) who fish alot on the river…..

Is upkeep a nightmare? Clean, scratches? How about more serious repairs like chips and cracks? Gelcoat and hull damage?

Do you find they draft too deep to get to certain areas you like to fish (i.e., can’t cross sandbars etc. to get back in places)?

If you had it to do over again, would you get glass or aluminum?

Thanks for any replies. Trying to get as much info as possible before plopping down 15 grand.

bass addict
    Eagan, MN

I have fished an aluminum boat for 11 years now and am quite happy with it. I fish regularly with guys with glass boats, both large and small, and I can’t do anything more than they can for the most part except save money on the intial purchase. On the other hand, the only thing they can do that I can’t is 80 mph.

terryb
    waterloo iowa

I have been using a fiberglass bass boat on the river since 1984. Before that I had aluminums. There isn’t many places that I feel would be better off having an aluminum boat. The fiberglass bassboats have a lower profile and makes it less prone to being blown around on windy days. They are usally more stable to walk around and the decks are closer to the gunnel making it easier to flip and pitch. I usually wipe it down with a wet towel when I take it out of the water to remove any scum lines and wax it 2 or 3 times a year. Not that big of a deal to me. I have a Hambys beach bumper on the keel and it really helps protect from scrapes on the bottom. If you do any walleye fishing when there is ice floating then you are better off with an aluminum boat. There are some really nice aluminum bass boats on the market now such as Xpress and GenIII but I still like the way my Ranger rides and the stable fishing platform it provides.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Last year I bought a 15′, 1988 Bayliner bass boat, more of a runabout that’s been reconfigured than a “true” bass boat, but I have been extremely happy with it. The only other boats that I have ever fished from were aluminum, a 17′ semi-V fish&ski and a Lund 1750 pro-V.

The aluminum fish&ski rode rougher than a mechanical bull going over boat wakes. We took a real pounding and once I was even thrown from the seat. The lund has a ride on par with mine, but it’s a much bigger boat.

Most people I know just wipe the boat down when the pull it out, but I just use the hose and rag when I get home. If there is a scum line, it wipes right off.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I have both an Aluminum fish-n-ski and a fiberglass bass boat. Although both are old, ’89 and ’78, I enjoy both on different days. The bass boat definetly rides better, runs faster, and is much easier to control on windy days. The fish and ski is more comfortable and easier to anchor and fish. It is also much cheaper to run, and insure. I spend 70% of my time walleye fishing, but do bass fish from time to time as well. I really would have a tough time picking one over the other. When the family goes out with me, it is the aluminum because it is set up for more than two fisherman. Aluminum with full windshield is also MUCH warmer in cool or cold weather. My advice would be to buy used, and buy both! Storage is a bit of a pain though!

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Go with the alum. boat. If your like me and like to get back into those tight spots or slide over wingdams go alum. Mine is a 14 footer with a 4 inch draft with me in it. I would look for a nice 16ft. tunnel hull with 50 hp or bigger. Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.