Bald Eagle Lake What Happened?

• bradl110

Went out on the lake last night for the first time and couldn’t believe how much that lake changes on a yearly basis. When I first moved to WBL about 5 years ago it was a tremendous walleye and musky lake early on. Year after year it has gotten worse with weeds. I was under the impression that home owners had been hiring a company to take care of the weed problem. The lake now is boarder line un-fishable. The lake is so weeded out that you cannot fish shallower then 15ft without getting weeds.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nitrate and nutrient runoff is a massive problem in the metro area. I struggle to name a single lake that’s not significantly more weedy now than it was even 5 years ago.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Cool, those willing to battle the weeds will be rewarded.

bradl110

Nitrate and nutrient runoff is a massive problem in the metro area. I struggle to name a single lake that’s not significantly more weedy now than it was even 5 years ago.

If that’s the case its scary to see kids swimming and water skiing, being exposed to that stuff.

Grouse

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Out of curiosity, where were you fishing, what techniques, and what species were you targeting?

I was out there 5/24 and did alright hitting nice sized crappies off the northwest point of the long skinny island. Also found some small perch on jigging raps north of the line of hazard buoys. There were plenty of good weed-edge spots at that time, though I’m sure the weeds have grown up and out considerably in the last couple of weeks. I fished it for the first time 2 years ago, so I don’t really have a point of reference for what it was like further back.

My thought is that the fish are still there, and they’re still feeding. But we may beed to adjust the approach. (For example, trolling cranks is probably gonna be tough sledding?)

It’s a conundrum — we’ve got one thread decrying the use of “aquacides” by lake-front home owners and claiming that it turns the fish off completely; and then this thread wondering why those same home owners aren’t doing more to kill off those pesky weeds. I certainly don’t have the answers.

Here’s an interesting read on Bald Eagle water quality efforts. The quote that caught my eye was: “‘Prior to the projects, the water clarity was often as low as 2 to 3 feet by late June and the weed line only extended out to 6 to 7 feet of water depth,’ said the Bald Eagle homeowner. ‘After the 2016 application, Secchi disc readings of up to 12 feet were recorded most of the summer and the weed line was out to 12 feet of water depth.'”

glenn57
    cold spring mn

do these weeds die off………disappear during the summer???

i fish a lake in west central minnesota. its a shallow lake and a waterfowl resting area so in fall ya cant have an outboard per say on it. anyway i’ve been out there where its so weedy where its impossible to troll, maybe bobber fish between the weeds. a month later weeds all but have disappeared????? its like they killed themselves off!!!!!!!

bradl110

Out of curiosity, where were you fishing, what techniques, and what species were you targeting?

I was out there 5/24 and did alright hitting nice sized crappies off the northwest point of the long skinny island. Also found some small perch on jigging raps north of the line of hazard buoys. There were plenty of good weed-edge spots at that time, though I’m sure the weeds have grown up and out considerably in the last couple of weeks. I fished it for the first time 2 years ago, so I don’t really have a point of reference for what it was like further back.

My thought is that the fish are still there, and they’re still feeding. But we may beed to adjust the approach. (For example, trolling cranks is probably gonna be tough sledding?)

It’s a conundrum — we’ve got one thread decrying the use of “aquacides” by lake-front home owners and claiming that it turns the fish off completely; and then this thread wondering why those same home owners aren’t doing more to kill off those pesky weeds. I certainly don’t have the answers.

Here’s an interesting read on Bald Eagle water quality efforts. The quote that caught my eye was: “‘Prior to the projects, the water clarity was often as low as 2 to 3 feet by late June and the weed line only extended out to 6 to 7 feet of water depth,’ said the Bald Eagle homeowner. ‘After the 2016 application, Secchi disc readings of up to 12 feet were recorded most of the summer and the weed line was out to 12 feet of water depth.’”

I was fishing for walleyes. The past few years I typically fish that lake 1-2X a weeks so I feel like I know the lake really well. Crappie are easy to find in that lake but the size is terrible. Basically the whole northern side of the lake is weeded out. And the lake has changed drastically from 2 weeks ago with this heat that we have gotten. Whats crazy to think is with the amount of rain we got earlier that you would think that it wouldn’t be as bad as it is right now but I was sure wrong. Most of the weeds that are up right know is curly leaf pond weed which I know dies off relatively quickly. I guess I just never remember being this bad this early.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Give me low clarity weedy lakes anyday over gin clear with weed lines at 20′.

Fertile, fast growing, day bites, count me in!!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

“Here’s an interesting read on Bald Eagle water quality efforts. The quote that caught my eye was: “‘Prior to the projects, the water clarity was often as low as 2 to 3 feet by late June and the weed line only extended out to 6 to 7 feet of water depth,’ said the Bald Eagle homeowner. ‘After the 2016 application, Secchi disc readings of up to 12 feet were recorded most of the summer and the weed line was out to 12 feet of water depth.’”

This is correct. Water clarity has increased tremendously which in turn has caused the growth of weeds at deeper depths and more weeds. Bald Eagle used to be very green in June prohibiting weed grown, not so much now. I think fish will just be deeper in the weeds more now.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I was fishing for walleyes. The past few years I typically fish that lake 1-2X a weeks so I feel like I know the lake really well. Crappie are easy to find in that lake but the size is terrible. Basically the whole northern side of the lake is weeded out. And the lake has changed drastically from 2 weeks ago with this heat that we have gotten. Whats crazy to think is with the amount of rain we got earlier that you would think that it wouldn’t be as bad as it is right now but I was sure wrong. Most of the weeds that are up right know is curly leaf pond weed which I know dies off relatively quickly. I guess I just never remember being this bad this early.

Every year is different I guess? Let’s hope it comes around. I will say that perhaps the crappie population is growing up a bit because I caught some good ones. This one was 10.5″ or so.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3532.jpg

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

The other factor is the early ice out giving weeds more time to grow and earlier than most years.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

You can either have nice clean water full of weeds, or dirty green water with less weed growth. Seldomly can you have both.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

But the lawns look good, right!?! roll

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Is white bear the same situation? Looking at the rice creek water shed I’d assume both are similar.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Probably curly leaf pondweed it peaks in June then suddenly dies and grows as deep as light penetrates. In lots of Metro lakes

Mwal

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Is white bear the same situation? Looking at the rice creek water shed I’d assume both are similar.

Bald Eagle is more like White Bear now. White Bear has been clearer with deep weeds for many years. It may a little further behind in weed growth due to the cooler and deeper water.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Probably curly leaf pondweed it peaks in June then suddenly dies and grows as deep as light penetrates. In lots of Metro lakes

x2

Large amount of rain with fertilizer recently applied = a lot of nutrient rich runoff. Add in this heat we are having, perfect conditions for weeds to run wild.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Notice how this coincided with the ban of phosphorus in the fertilizer. Maybe more nitrogen is being used without the phosphorus being part of the mix. Even with being told we don’t need phosphorus because our soils contain enough naturally. I sure noticed how much the high phosphorus mix greened up my lawn in the spring. Seems like it takes much more nitrogen to do the same thing.

WalleyeThai
    Woodbury

Walleyes love the curly pond weed. I troll cigar island, no problem.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.