Backing Plate for Trolling Motor

• Ralph Bechtold

I’ve had a few questions leading up to mounting the TM that I bought and I really appreciate the insights. So soon I’ll mount my TM which is an 80 lb. thrust Rhodan on my 2019 1675 Adventure Tiller Drive.

The Lund Owners Manual states that the bow is fairly thick to accommodate todays TM’s. I am wondering if anyone has mounted theirs with a backing plate underneath the bow of their boat?

The motor came with large fender washers for under the bow.

My concern is that I’ll drill the holes to where the backing plate won’t fit underneath because it would be too close to the gunnel.

Thanks for your guidance.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

We used a piece of 3/8″ plywood on my buddy’s. And there was one hole that the fender washer was too wide because it was very close to the gunnel. It was definitely a 2 man job to put the screwdriver on the top bolt and another guy to reach under the bow to tighten the nuts.

Ralph Bechtold

I ended up buying a piece of 1/4″ steel plate.

A buddy of mine who has a machine shop cut it to fit the mount for the trolling motor, drilled the holes, and deburred it. He has another friend who powder coats so he is going to get that done for me to prevent rust.

When I get it back I’ll be working on putting the TM on the boat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well that sounds like overkill but you won’t in your lifetime ever have to worry about it! grin

Todays boats are all built to accommodate trolling motors up to 36 volt. Enjoy the boat!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.