John Stears – Suspending Jerkbaits

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Thanks for the info John but I am more intrigued with the photo. Can you give us a breakdown of the contents inside the baits? I see what looks like led but I also see bee-bee’s that I assume are steel. Great idea x-raying them. I am a stick kinda guy for the first few months of the year and am quite surptised that the hooks are not all tied together with some type of steel leader.
    jc

riverfan
    MN

JC,

It’s difficult to tell for sure what the metal is, based on the X-ray. If you compare the density of the hook hanger of the floating Rapala and the shot in the suspending baits they look the same. The hook hangers are a steel wire so the shot could be steel, lead, brass or other metals. Some on the shot are hollow beads and some may be less dense metal such as aluminum or even plastics. If you look in the head of the Pointer (#10) you see some beads that are considerably less dense that the rest. If you own a Pointer that is translucent, look and see if you can tell what it is. I believe that most the plastic crankbaits have similar hook hangers. The new materials and sonic welding make them very strong.

riverfan
    MN

JC,

It’s difficult to tell for sure what the metal is, based on the X-ray. If you compare the density of the hook hanger of the floating Rapala and the shot in the suspending baits they look the same. The hook hangers are a steel wire so the shot could be steel, lead, brass or other metals. Some on the shot are hollow beads and some may be less dense metal such as aluminum or even plastics. If you look in the head of the Pointer (#10) you see some beads that are considerably less dense that the rest. If you own a Pointer that is translucent, look and see if you can tell what it is.
    I believe that most the plastic crankbaits have similar hook hangers. The new materials and sonic welding make them very strong.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

I’m glad this is here !! I keep checking back on it as reference ! Excellent facts that can immediatly be applied !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.