anyone thinking about new arrows

• deertracker

Thats what we did until we spliced the main gas line and ran the kicker off of that. I’m guessing that there is vents for that compartment anyway. What type of boat?
    DT

deertracker

I should of added that unless you have to run mixed gas for your kicker it would be easy to run it off your main gas line and tank.
    DT

timmy

Probably safe, but I would error on the side of caution. Having a portable gas tank right next to a battery would not be a good thing, IMHO. Nothing would probably happen, but the “what if” could be bad…….

Tim

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Why? What are you trying to do this for, why not off a main tank?

bthess
    Manly, IA

This is a lund angler and the kicker requires mixed gas so I cant tie it into the main tank unfourantely. There would be the battery and oil for the big motor on one side and then a tank with mixed gas on the other.

igotone

Quote:

Why? What are you trying to do this for, why not off a main tank?

I can think of TWO reasons:

1) Big motor has it’s own Oil supply (with variable ratio)
    2) Big motor is a 4 stroke and kicker is two!

igotone

Quote:

This is a lund angler and the kicker requires mixed gas so I cant tie it into the main tank unfourantely. There would be the battery and oil for the big motor on one side and then a tank with mixed gas on the other.

there is another solution Check the PM i sent U

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The question if its safe really depends on how well vented the compartment is.

If the gas fumes have the ability to accumulate/collect, you are making a bomb looking for a source of ignition. If its well vented where its designed to pull all the fumes out while moving, you will be fine. There are directional vents that will create air flow when moving. Its wise to add more ventilation in addition to directional type vents(one points foreward, one back).

Last but not least… ground the gas can! Vinyl gas cans create static electricity too and can cause a spark. Put a metal hold down strap on the tank and run a hard copper wire to a grounding block(not negative battery terminal)… way better safe than sorry.

little_g
    durand WI

Dr. Ed Ashby

Arrow Shafts. With any given shafting material and shaft finish, the larger a shaft’s diameter the greater will be the resistance to its penetration. It will present a larger frontal area to the tissues, displace a greater volume of tissue as it penetrates, and present more total surface area to the tissues (which results in a higher drag factor).

As a general rule, the arrow’s shaft should have a diameter that is less than the broadhead’s ferrule diameter. In testing with parallel shafts (as opposed to tapered or barrel tapered shafts), outcome data shows that when a shaft’s diameter is greater than the broadhead’s ferrule diameter the arrow’s penetration is reduced by and average of 30 percent, as compared to a situation where the shaft’s diameter equals the diameter of the broadhead’s ferrule.

If the shaft’s diameter is less than that of the broadhead’s ferrule, the penetration increases by an average of 10 percent. That can equate to as much as a 40 percent difference in measurable penetration between two arrows which are equal in all respects except for the diameter of the shaft. This is not theory. It is what average outcome measurements from comparable shots into real tissues show. It is a graphic demonstration of the importance of shaft drag as a factor in the overall resistance force when penetrating real tissues.

It is tempting to advise that one use as small a shaft diameter as possible, but recent testing is highly suggestive that other factors may also be at play. In the recent tests, shafts of identical materials and nearly equal mass, but of various profiles, were tested. All were tested at the same distance (20 yards), from the same bow, and with the same broadhead.

The results were, to say the least, of interest. Averaging the results from all comparable shots, the frequency of shafts with a tapered profile out-penetrating those with either parallel or barrel tapered profile was extremely high. A definite tendency was manifest.

Of note, the tapered shafts averaged about 50 to 70 grains less mass than either the parallel or the barrel tapered shafts. They also had a larger diameter at the point just back of the broadhead’s ferrule than either the parallel or tapered shafts, though ALL the shafts still had a diameter (just back of the broadhead) which was less than the broadhead’s ferrule diameter.

What the tapered shafts did have was a significantly higher percentage of weight forward of center (high FOC) and a shaft profile that became steadily smaller in diameter towards the rear of the shaft – a ‘reverse inclined plane’ which, in theory, might result in a lower overall shaft drag factor. It is also a feasible hypothesis that the lower mass towards the rear of the tapered shaft arrow may cause less shaft flexion, reducing resistance.

A new series of study ‘focal points’, designed to isolate only the FOC as a variable between the arrows physical structure, are planned. How much of the (consistently significant) difference in outcome penetration was due to the high FOC and how much to shaft profile or reduced flexion of the shaft? Only time will tell.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Very good information little g!

little_g
    durand WI

check out what else Dr. Ashby has to say very good stuff.

little_g
    durand WI

Well an arrow needs to flex but when a arrow hits something if the weight is forward rather than through the whole shaft it does not loose energy through the flexing of the shaft.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

So that being said, is anyone shooting weight forward shafts? It makes sense that they would cause less arrow flexing, it is startling to watch in slow motion an arrow in flight and how much it flexes.

I am. My Carbon Express Maxima Hunters are Weight Forward Technology!

I’m not sure about all the mumbo jumbo posted above, but I know that my CE Maxima arrow works sweet out of my set up!

little_g
    durand WI

That mumbo jumbo weight forward has been around for many years. the flexing of the arrow is called archers paridox and if you shoot to stiff or to light of shafts it effects the flight of the arrow bad.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

That mumbo jumbo weight forward has been around for many years. the flexing of the arrow is called archers paridox and if you shoot to stiff or to light of shafts it effects the flight of the arrow bad.

Very true. Thats why the target guys play around with different arrow set ups to find the best ones.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Mumbo Jumbo is short for the long paragraph above.

It makse sense what he wrote and even better that it is in hunter english.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

FOC percentage has been overlooked to a large degree until recent years because the archery buying market is driven by SPEED. It has been forever…
    Tapered shafts have phenomenal FOC (like ACCs)… I have used and sold Archery Dynamics Nitro Stingers for about 15 years now. The recovery from the initial release of the arrow with a 11-12% FOC is much faster, lessening the oscillation, and allowing the shaft to track straight toward the target…greatly improving penetration.

Check them out…they give amazing results!
    Nitro Stinger tapered arrows

little_g
    durand WI

I like how you mention ACC arrows because of what I have seen with those arrows they are probably one of the hardest hitting arrows.
    I’m sure there are better, but I watched my ex shoot a buck at twenty five yards and break two ribs with a clean pass through, also shoot two turkeys with a pass through. She only shot forty pounds.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.