Any Pike / Muskie reports?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

With the July closure, I’m thinking of changing gears and taking the little man pike fishing. Troll some super shads or even just some #9 shad raps looking for medium to larger pike.

We usually don’t do this until Aug / Sept when walleyes slow way down.

Anyone having any Pike or Muskie reports?

The_Bladepuller
    South end

No report yet but I hope to get my mast system going soon with big boards, ala, the old postmasters system.

lindyrig79

Just had to give an update. As some others have posted the big fish bite seems to be going pretty good right now.

Just tagged my biggest pike ever a couple hours ago. Measured 44 inches hit a Super Shad rap and came off, but then came back for it and slammed it and the fight was on. Got a good release what an awesome fish

Attachments:
    1. 66F85573-2155-4A88-A6BC-F1495F8C38BA.jpeg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Geez big-time congrats, that’s awesome

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Geez that is a rare fish nowadays

catmando
    wis

Trolled up 3 nice pike on Deer last night, no musky, stayed after dark ran some topwater for skies nothing, not much fun you cant hear the Hawgwobbler anymore before that jigged a buckshot deep on some small points a lot of bass and gills perch.20ft.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Nice fish!! I’m heading up Monday for 9 days, hope to get one anywhere near close to that one!! Super shads ready to roll.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

She’s a beauty, Lindy!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Geez that is a rare fish nowadays

No, actually it’s not here at Mille Lacs. They’ve been caught more commonly the last couple weeks.

Not by me though. sad

Nice fish Lindy, you did get a good one.

If you want to go for bigger, the Hookem Holloway lures are the hot ticket now for the beasts.

Will Roseberg could testify but he’s gone missing from this forum. ???

Congrats again on your catch. woot

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Congrats lindy nice fish.

bigpike

Wow. Great job on that trophy lindy! Even more greater on the release

lindyrig79

Thanks guys!

lindyrig79

No, actually it’s not here at Mille Lacs. They’ve been caught more commonly the last couple weeks.

We all know Muskies come bigger, but in all honestly how much bigger do pike come??

I was talking to a guy who guides out of here today (Andy you probably know who) and he was a bit surprised at the size and sounded like it matched his personal best…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No, actually it’s not here at Mille Lacs. They’ve been caught more commonly the last couple weeks

Absolutely a rare fish now from a state that is mostly choked full of hammer handles.

44 inch pike don’t grow on trees. Not even in Canada.

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>
    No, actually it’s not here at Mille Lacs. They’ve been caught more commonly the last couple weeks

Absolutely a rare fish now from a state that is mostly choked full of hammer handles.

I could make a very strong argument against that statement waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I could make a very strong argument against that statement

Haha. Ok, perhaps more common is the better terminology.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We all know Muskies come bigger, but in all honestly how much bigger do pike come??

Agreed, pike at 44″ are close to the top end.

I was alluding to the muskie with the bigger lures. Maybe you saw my post about the 52″ and 58″ caught recently. I would say though, keep doing what you’re doing. Lightning strikes more than just once out there.

Well yes when compared to most other lakes choked full of hammer handles, but Mille Lacs is not comparable to most other lakes. It is without a doubt a trophy pike fishery both open water and through the ice. It has been well documented and frequently reported.

And by no means does this diminish Lindy’s catch. They are not common but they are out there.

It is no doubt a trophy caliber catch here in MN.

bigpike

A trophy caliber catch anywhere!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well yes when compared to most other lakes choked full of hammer handles, but Mille Lacs is not comparable to most other lakes. It is without a doubt a trophy pike fishery both open water and through the ice. It has been well documented and frequently reported.

And by no means does this diminish Lindy’s catch. They are not common but they are out there.

It is no doubt a trophy caliber catch here in MN.

Agreed, slight misunderstanding. The most recent pike survey completed in May 2019 indicated that 26% of the fish were 30 inches or longer and 3.6% were 40 inches or longer. So basically 30% of the northern pike in that lake are 30+ inches which is good. I assisted the DNR one spring when I was an intern in the mid 2000’s with this and I saw a 45 inch pike. That’s the biggest one I’ve personally seen out of that lake.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/millelacslake/spring-northern-pike-survey.html

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thanks for posting that link gimruis, I had not seen that yet.

A couple interesting takeaways from the report.

The number of large crappies they netted, a somewhat elusive fish in ML but now we know where to look for them in the spring. smile

Also the muskies staging to spawn. There’s been question on whether they’ve been able to reproduce naturally in the lake since it has been mostly from stocking.

It would be interesting if the DNR did a study to determine if/how much might come from natural reproduction.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Congrats Lindy!!! There may be some northerns bigger than that in ML, but I haven’t seen them! But I did see another 44″ in person with TMF a few years back. Great fish and it’s amazing how much bigger a 40+ seems!

The_Bladepuller
    South end

No!No!No! There are no Crappies or Sunnies in ML, much less the south end.
    I’ve had my hands on 3 Pike > 40″. One right @ 44″. All were caught after Labor Day trolling stick baits for walleyes. I was net man for 2 of them out of my boat. When you think you have hooked a log that then turns into a torpedo it is fun.
    When those surveys were being run it seemed that a lot of torn up pike drifted in not long afterwards. I know the nets were supposedly only set for a short time but still.
    I seem to be seeing less and less Muskies in the spring cruising shallows.
    Just my observations.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Very Very nice Pike. Congrats Lindy.

fishhuntguy

Broke the 40 mark again!

Attachments:
    1. 0D0C9309-E8DC-43E1-997F-E3CC13ED9E1E.jpeg

2. 4A284731-E453-4913-8F3D-F21304ED7DD9.jpeg

3. 8EEDBE8D-503E-4763-8045-5DD1B32DD42E.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Broke the 40 mark again!

Nice fish, although I’ll confess I already saw it posted on FB.

I see those Holloway lures are gaining in popularity. wink

I seem to be seeing less and less Muskies in the spring cruising shallows.
    Just my observations.

And you will see less and less, sadly for muskie seekers.

The DNR stocks 3,000 fingerlings every other year, so an average of 1,500 annually. Which may seem like a lot, but I’m not sure that it is given the size of the lake.

Furthermore, the every other year stocking was scheduled this fall, but due to covid there was no egg take last spring. So stocking this year will be missed.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Furthermore, the every other year stocking was scheduled this fall, but due to covid there was no egg take last spring. So stocking this year will be missed.

I heard that metro muskies Inc raised the money to be able to stock all of the lakes that were supposed to get them? maybe it was just strictly the metro, I am not sure.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.