And so it is done.

• tswoboda

To me the problem with it is that know one can tell me it will not increase hooking mortality. Take someone bobber fishing for walleyes on Mille Lacs. Got 4 bobbers with leaches out and several lines all go down at one ( Happens often ) While a person is fighting and landing fish #1 fish #2 is swallowing the leech all the way down to its gullet

Any thoughts on tip-ups?

3Rivers

Yeah none of the tip up or ice castle guys never seem to “get the 2 line thing”.

LOL )

Ripjiggen

Count me also as one who just don’t understand the need for 2 lines. Not that I’m against the new change, or at all against those who want to use 2 lines. To me the problem with it is that know one can tell me it will not increase hooking mortality. Take someone bobber fishing for walleyes on Mille Lacs. Got 4 bobbers with leaches out and several lines all go down at one ( Happens often ) While a person is fighting and landing fish #1 fish #2 is swallowing the leech all the way down to its gullet. I understand why guides love the idea. I understand why people who struggle to catch fish love it, Double the lines also double their chance to catch a limit. Just so many things these days putting addition pressure on the fish population. Hope most enjoy catch and release fishing mostly, Because at some point the limits are going to be reduced to the point that catch and release will become mostly what it will be.

Weird other states don’t seem to have a problem with hooking mortality. Must just be dumb Minnesota folks who can’t figure it out.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Any thoughts on tip-ups?

My thoughts are the Same as I stated. 2 Tips up will result in more hooking mortality than 1 will and does. A lot of tip up fishermen I know fish quick strike rigs. You telling me if you are out fishing tips up solo and while you run to 1 flag and the other flag goes off, that you can catch fish #1 and get over to flag # 2 before the fish has had extra addition time to eat and Swallow the bait, with the extra quick strike hooks, does not lesson the chances of that fishes survival. Once again as stated prior, I have nothing against the change and nothing against those who are in favor of it. My point is it will have a effect on the mortality of fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would rarely use 2 lines at once for how I generally fish because 90% of my fishing is casting, which requires the use of both hands. This is also why I use a pedal on my bow mount.

I’m not against the use of 2 lines for others though. I could definitely see how it would be helpful when trolling or catfishing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Weird other states don’t seem to have a problem with hooking mortality. Must just be dumb Minnesota folks who can’t figure it out.

who or where did anyone say that hooking mortality was also not occurring in other states as well or that Minnesota folks were to dumb to figure it out. All I pointed out is it a reason why some people are not in favor of it, and that its a factor to be aware of.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Hooking mortality happens, but not in a statistically significant amount and 1, 2, 3 or 6 lines won’t change that. Personally I fish P4 a lot (have been able to use 2 lines for as long as I’ve fished there), and I rarely do. Sometimes via a dubuque rig, or if I’m trolling but 2 jigging lines is too much for my enjoyment.

So are you saying that you believe that a change to 2 lines statewide, will not result in any increase in hooking mortality?

Define for me what % of hooking mortality do you believe is a statistically insignificant amount.

Yes different fishing techniques will have different effects on the amount of hooking mortality, but all of them will have some and that amount with increase with two lines rather than one.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i wont loose sleep over this issue one way or another…………but…….fishing for sunfish, which i do alot of and throwing a minnow out under a big bobber would be fun!!!!! coffee peace waytogo

ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Hooking mortality happens, but not in a statistically significant amount and 1, 2, 3 or 6 lines won’t change that. Personally I fish P4 a lot (have been able to use 2 lines for as long as I’ve fished there), and I rarely do. Sometimes via a dubuque rig, or if I’m trolling but 2 jigging lines is too much for my enjoyment.

So are you saying that you believe that a change to 2 lines statewide, will not result in any increase in hooking mortality?

Define for me what % of hooking mortality do you believe is a statistically insignificant amount.

Yes different fishing techniques will have different effects on the amount of hooking mortality, but all of them will have some and that amount with increase with two lines rather than one.

“Hooking mortality” seems to be a 21st century buzzword for the DNR to apply to some amount (an amount no one can define) of mortality fish face from angler pressure. Fish coming from deep water are probably the only source of mortality that is *maybe* worth considering.

On one hand the DNR says a 6 walleye limit can be handled by the states water. Hooking mortality just merely existing as a word used in fisheries management means that one of the two statements can’t be true. In my opinion.

We should have 4 lines legal to use like the superior fishing state that borders us to the west.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

who or where did anyone say that hooking mortality was also not occurring in other states as well or that Minnesota folks were to dumb to figure it out. All I pointed out is it a reason why some people are not in favor of it, and that its a factor to be aware of.

Weird no other states even talk or use hooking mortality as any kind of measurement. Is it decimating lakes that boarder us that two lines can be used. Must be that MNDNR are smarter and more advanced to other states. whistling

Safe to use on the river but not on a lake. Got it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yes, it won’t increase hooking mortality a statistically significant amount.

Statistically significant means in enough numbers to be identifiable in any statistical analysis of the netting data (in this case).

This doesn’t mean your sisters boyfriends uncles friend from work won’t guthook an extra fish on his second line once in awhile, and now the whole town knows about it. It just means that won’t impact anything long term or even be noticeable in netting data.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Whenever the words “hooking mortality” come up here, it seems to create a robust conversation. jester

Ripjiggen

Whenever the words “hooking mortality” come up here, it seems to create a robust conversation. jester

Maybe cause we are the only state that use those words to define fishing regs.

tswoboda

2 Tips up will result in more hooking mortality than 1 will and does. A lot of tip up fishermen I know fish quick strike rigs. You telling me if you are out fishing tips up solo and while you run to 1 flag and the other flag goes off, that you can catch fish #1 and get over to flag # 2 before the fish has had extra addition time to eat and Swallow the bait, with the extra quick strike hooks, does not lesson the chances of that fishes survival.

So we should be allowed the same amount of lines for ice fishing as we are for open water fishing? I can agree with that logic

“Hooking mortality” seems to be a 21st century buzzword for the DNR to apply to some amount (an amount no one can define) of mortality fish face from angler pressure.

Bingo. Turns out that catching fish is potentially bad for them

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

OK. So I guess no fish die from Hooking mortality. If other states do not use the term or word, It must not happen. Like some said, Why stop at 2 lines, Might as well say it can be unlimited. I guess if you are not in Favor for it you are wrong. I guess others opinions are fine – Just as long as they are the same as yours.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

No conversation needed. It doesn’t exist. Didn’t you listen to what others said

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Statistically significant means in enough numbers to be identifiable in any statistical analysis of the netting data (in this case).

What is the correlation between netting data and Hooking mortality. So If its not being found in netting data, Its not happening???? My statement was more lines in the water will lead to more hooking mortality – I don’t see how that does not make sense to some.

Ripjiggen

Of course fish die from being gut hooked. Nobody claimed it didn’t. Nobody else uses it to determine regs. It’s a natural part of fishing. Don’t get why that’s so hard to understand. Obviously the vast majority of states see it that way as well.
    Again the DNR says it is fine to do it on a river but not on a lake. You don’t see the inconsistency there?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Here is Florida fish and wildlife Conservation Commissions def. of Hooking mortality:

After being caught and released by an angler, fish may die for a variety of reasons. The most common causes of death are the physiological stresses caused by the struggle during capture and injuries caused by the hook or the angler. Some fish may die even though they appear unharmed and despite efforts at revival.

Do a search on the words Hooking Mortality. I can assure you the term is used in many places other than in the regulations on Mille Lacs lake. It is used and discussed in many states fish and wildlife divisions.

At this point I will check out of this discussion. As is often the case – No one is going to change anyones elses opinion after it is made.

Ripjiggen

From a state that does not have a regulation on how many lines you can use. rotflol

Nobody claimed hooking mortality doesn’t exist except your interpretation of what was said.

Deuces

Physiological? How about psychological, has anyone asked how fish feel?lol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What is the correlation between netting data and Hooking mortality.

There isn’t one, and therefore hooking mortality is not something to be concerned about on a population or biomass level.

So If its not being found in netting data, Its not happening???? My statement was more lines in the water will lead to more hooking mortality – I don’t see how that does not make sense to some.

Again, no one is saying that hooking mortality doesn’t happen or exist. We, and the scientists who study it, are saying it doesn’t happen on a level remotely close to impacting the biomass of the fish in a lake. And that is whether people fish with 1, 2, 3 or 6 lines. I’m not sure how this is so difficult for you to understand, unless you really are married to your original statement, “that know one can tell me it will not increase hooking mortality.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My statement was more lines in the water will lead to more hooking mortality

It also leads to more limits caught. wave

JEREMY
    BP

If everyone on here loves fishing so much why does everyone get so butthurt when someone does something a little different then you. Someone kept and ate a bass. Oh god no. Someone wants to use 2 lines. Holy $hit no! I hate muskies they eat all the walleyes. Your stupid they do not. Did you see the way the guy held the sturgeon in that picture? He should be beaten. I think you all just need to have a beer or a smoke or whatever the hell calms you down think about why you enjoy fishing instead of what pisses you off about the way other people try to enjoy it. Should put this in the FFS argument also.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If everyone on here loves fishing so much why does everyone get so butthurt when someone does something a little different then you. Someone kept and ate a bass. Oh god no. Someone wants to use 2 lines. Holy $hit no! I hate muskies they eat all the walleyes. Your stupid they do not. Did you see the way the guy held the sturgeon in that picture? He should be beaten. I think you all just need to have a beer or a smoke or whatever the hell calms you down think about why you enjoy fishing instead of what pisses you off about the way other people try to enjoy it. Should put this in the FFS argument also.

Honestly I couldn’t agree more, well said.

Ripjiggen

Because people don’t like other people catching “their” fish. Sad really.

Viewing 27 posts - 91 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.