And so it is done.

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    My first compound deer was a 35 yard shot where the deer didn’t even know it was hit. Hunt from the ground mind you. Casually walked 60yds and died.

Brothers bow, he said i needed to practice. I grabbed his bow and shot one arrow at a target at 30yds. Hit the bullseye.

5 minutes of hunting. Dead deer. Double lung.
    I don’t buy the ‘feat’ of killing a deer with compound.

Private land?

How else do you wake up an hour late walk in in broad daylight, know where and when to be waytogo yes, family land I had hunted many years.

picklerick
    Central WI

My first compound deer was a 35 yard shot where the deer didn’t even know it was hit. Hunt from the ground mind you. Casually walked 60yds and died.

Brothers bow, he said i needed to practice. I grabbed his bow and shot one arrow at a target at 30yds. Hit the bullseye.

5 minutes of hunting. Dead deer. Double lung.
    I don’t buy the ‘feat’ of killing a deer with compound.

Here’s my first with a compound. I thought I missed him clean at 20yds because I didn’t recognize that hollow pumpkin thunk you hear on a good hit and heard my arrow ticking through the swamp grass behind him. He walked 20yds forward, stood there at the tree line facing away from me and casually knuckled under and laid down with his head up. I thought he was going to bed there 40yds away and then he just tipped over sideways dead.

Attachments:
    1. Picture-022-scaled.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

How else do you wake up an hour late walk in in broad daylight, know where and when to be waytogo yes, family land I had hunted many years.

Got it. Was just curious on the logic behind that is all. waytogo

dirtywater

For walz to take that photo there must have been some blue bull$hit in that bill to celebrate, maybe the photo is not in regard to this two lines.

He’d never celebrate helping to do what fishermen want. What slipped through that will negate any happiness two lines brings? I.e. what BLM or 2A infringement was in there?

There’s always one.
    bawling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There’s always one.
    bawling

[/quote]

Sadly he probably isn’t wrong

dirtywater

Meh, if so then a win/win for this guy. At any rate this is how government works, love it or hate it. Don’t want to get too far into these weeds, just saying some folks will never be happy and can find a reason to complain about almost everything.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Love it, compound bow purists. Isn’t a crossbow just a compound bow on a stick?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    “The compound bow hunters I personally know were very much against this.”

Kind of like the traditional archers felt when the compounds were being introduced, eh?”

No and no. As points of order…

Unless you have some kind of compound bow with an 80++++ pound draw weight and that can hold that draw indefinitely, then no. A compound and a crossbow are not similar in function or in use.

There wasn’t a huge “is a compound bow really a bow” controversy and if you’ve ever shot an early compound bow you’d know why. They simply weren’t that good. In fact more than being seen as an advantage, in the early days there were questions as to if the compound bow was anything except a passing fad. These were not the compound bows of 2023. The technology and the shooting techniques needed to be refined and reinvented several times during each decade.

Also, back during the introduction of the compound bow, archery was NOT a mainstream hunting sport as it is today. Archery hunters were an extreme anomaly when compound bows were introduced. The real growth that took archery hunting to mainstream status took place well after the intro of the compound bow.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Meh, if so then a win/win for this guy. At any rate this is how government works, love it or hate it. Don’t want to get too far into these weeds, just saying some folks will never be happy and can find a reason to complain about almost everything.

I fully agree on the last statement. 2 lines is a win for me

JEREMY
    BP

Best thing crossbow hunting for me has been if I wanna check out some state land I can just walk in and find a good looking spot and sit down by a big tree. Kinda hard to do that with a bow. Guess I didnt need to go to Dr last friday to get physical check to get my permit renewed to permanant status.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Best thing crossbow hunting for me has been if I wanna check out some state land I can just walk in and find a good looking spot and sit down by a big tree. Kinda hard to do that with a bow. Guess I didnt need to go to Dr last friday to get physical check to get my permit renewed to permanant status.

That’s how I hunt both bow and gun

Michael Best

Some of my best bucks were shot from the ground standing by a tree with my bow in hand.
    Sure there are advantages to hunting out of a tree. However some times it’s not possible to do so.

FinnyDinDin

Does two lines apply to border waters of the St. Louis? Didn’t hear it in Darren’s vid so I am guessing it does not.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Why is that a big deal…Still can’t do it on the interior of the state. And theres only a small % that fish the area you mentioned…

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Why is that a big deal…Still can’t do it on the interior of the state. And theres only a small % that fish the area you mentioned…And how did this turn into a archery forum?

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Does two lines apply to border waters of the St. Louis? Didn’t hear it in Darren’s vid so I am guessing it does not.

You can already fish 2 lines on the St. Louis river border water.

CaptainMusky

Why is that a big deal…Still can’t do it on the interior of the state. And theres only a small % that fish the area you mentioned…And how did this turn into a archery forum?

Because the use of crossbows was also included in what passed.

3Rivers

Why is that a big deal…Still can’t do it on the interior of the state. And theres only a small % that fish the area you mentioned…

Why do you think the DNR allowed it? Like I said in the video, it’s an underutilized fishery. And if you think New Ulm, Morton, and Granite Falls isn’t in the interior of the State, they you need to get out a bit more.

Nobody ever said it was a Big Deal, just a Big Deal for MN Catfishermen and those that fish the areas affected. Pool 2 could be one the most overlooked gems in the entire State. I bet those that fish it will appreciate the extra opportunity another line presents.

Red Eye

Can anyone answer the reason why the 2 lines is only the river? Why not state wide? I want to pitch a jig while bobber fishing too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I believe crossbows shoot bolts, not arrows. Minor technicality here.

Deuces

Can anyone answer the reason why the 2 lines is only the river? Why not state wide? I want to pitch a jig while bobber fishing too.

Have to start somewhere, it’s a great start imo. Metro area so will get alot of exposure to alot of fisherman and non fisherman, many will think the law is in place other places in a matter years and then it has the potential to expand.

Much like weed laws, small stuff at first and when public opinion sees its not an issue the lawmakers won’t see it as a negative as well.

Kudos to all those that had a hand in it large or small. If we ever meet allow me to buy ya a drink toast

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I believe crossbows shoot bolts, not arrows. Minor technicality here.

bolts are what holds a crossbow together. You know those things with threads. When you pull the trigger you hope bolts don’t fly out as injuries would occur. coffee

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When you pull the trigger you hope bolts don’t fly out as injuries would occur.

Lol ya I could see that being catastrophic.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Thank you Darren and others that worked on this! It’s a great thing!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well that’s great, now I gotta go buy a second rod and reel.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

So when is the starting date of this? Did they ever get that ironed out?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

So when is the starting date of this? Did they ever get that ironed out?

Bump.

Do I send in my disability application that’s been filed out for 8 weeks or unnecessary?

MNdrifter

I heard that the elimination of shotgun deer hunting zones were in this bill. I cannot find anything to confirm that. Anyone know about that?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I heard that the elimination of shotgun deer hunting zones were in this bill. I cannot find anything to confirm that. Anyone know about that?

Was in, was also removed before signing.

JEREMY
    BP

Do I send in my disability application that’s been filed out for 8 weeks or unnecessary?

They must be looser now. Last time i sent mine in took about 2 months. Faxed mine to St Paul office and Friday morning and had the permit in the mail Monday.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Last few years mine have been very quickly returned but I always do so far in advance I’m not anxious of its arrival. 2-3 weeks maybe ?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.