And so it is done.

• rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I hope this goes state wide at some point in the near future.

Minnesota, Tennessee, and Georgia, and Alaska are the only states where you can only fish with 1 rod…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

bolts are what holds a crossbow together. You know those things with threads. When you pull the trigger you hope bolts don’t fly out as injuries would occur. coffee

[/quote]i wouldnt bet the farm on that just yet. i googled crossbow arrows and alot of suppliers list them as bolts!!!!!!!

but i’m no expert. doah

as far as 2 lines…….i got a heck of a time keeping one from getting tangled up!!!!!!!! whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lots of cross bow places call there arrows bolts. Just Google cross bow bolts. I don’t own a cross bow. So I could care less what they are called but many places call them bolts

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Crossbow arrows are called bolts. Everyone I know that’s into the archery life refer to them as bolts.
    Never have I ever heard an “expert” jester call them arrows let alone poke fun at someone for using the correct term….. doah

duh queen

Technically speaking, A bolt is just a screw with a nut on the other end. Absent a nut, it’s just a screw. Screws are threaded into tapped holes, or make their own threads on the way in. .
    And I can prove this because my crossbow fires bolts…..and I’m the nut on the other end. mrgreen

LabDaddy1

Yup, I don’t even shoot crossbows but definitely have heard them called bolts more than a few times.

It’s cool that 2 lines on the rivers passed(and agree there’s gotta be some blue BS thrown in there), even tho I will almost never use two at once unless I’m ice fishing. Can see why cat/sturg guys want it for sure tho. waytogo

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m a WI resident and have been using both compound and crossbow ever since it was legalized. I use the crossbow for standing and the compound for stalking. Whichever fills my tag is the tag I fill and I leave the woods alone until rifle season.
    I love stalk hunting, and it seems so few actually do this anymore, but a crossbow brings no advantages in this form of game chase. You can’t stalk a deer and cock the crossbow when you find them. You could place the bolt into position when that moment comes, but to me, roaming about the brush and woods with a cocked crossbow is like roaming the brush and woods with your gun’s safety in the “off” position. Yes, there is trigger safety on the weapon, but things can go wrong, in the easiest and dumbest of ways. I don’t want a bolt knocked at all times or an accidental dry fire. If you mess up the lube on the shooting rail in any way, it’ll affect your accuracy.
    I don’t know… but I’ve still hunted, stalked, stand hunted, and stand and driver hunted in groups, all with a compound. I can navigate woods with an arrow knocked. I’ve taken the close-range moving shot. Whether it’s the years of practice or experience, I only feel that a crossbow is truly advantageous if the hunter is on/in a stand or blind. Mobile hunting is much, much better with a compound bow, imho.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m a WI resident and have been using both compound and crossbow ever since it was legalized. I use the crossbow for standing and the compound for stalking. Whichever fills my tag is the tag I fill and I leave the woods alone until rifle season.
    I love stalk hunting, and it seems so few actually do this anymore, but a crossbow brings no advantages in this form of game chase. You can’t stalk a deer and cock the crossbow when you find them. You could place the bolt into position when that moment comes, but to me, roaming about the brush and woods with a cocked crossbow is like roaming the brush and woods with your gun’s safety in the “off” position. Yes, there is trigger safety on the weapon, but things can go wrong, in the easiest and dumbest of ways. I don’t want a bolt knocked at all times or an accidental dry fire. If you mess up the lube on the shooting rail in any way, it’ll affect your accuracy.
    I don’t know… but I’ve still hunted, stalked, stand hunted, and stand and driver hunted in groups, all with a compound. I can navigate woods with an arrow knocked. I’ve taken the close-range moving shot. Whether it’s the years of practice or experience, I only feel that a crossbow is truly advantageous if the hunter is on/in a stand or blind. Mobile hunting is much, much better with a compound bow, imho.

I’m a stalk hunter as well. Almost never sit in a blind nor stand.

dirtywater

Can anyone confirm this went into effect July 1? Having a hard time finding an “official” announcement from the DNR.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t feel bad, some of the CO’s aren’t aware either. In fact, the call center preached to one caller about the evils of poaching with two lines when he called in.

That should be taken care of by now. Call the DNR Call Center for confirmation. It’s law. Just stay out of the tributaries. I don’t believe that’s been worked out yet.

Email us: [email protected]
    Call us: 651-296-6157 or 888-MINNDNR (646-6367)
    DNR information center (St. Paul)
    Information center phone hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

dirtywater

Don’t feel bad, some of the CO’s aren’t aware either. In fact, the call center preached to one caller about the evils of poaching with two lines when he called in.

That should be taken care of by now. Call the DNR Call Center for confirmation. It’s law. Just stay out of the tributaries. I don’t believe that’s been worked out yet.

Email us: [email protected]
    Call us: 651-296-6157 or 888-MINNDNR (646-6367)
    DNR information center (St. Paul)
    Information center phone hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

Thank you. Fishing was so good Saturday I never got the second line in the water.

3Rivers

Speaking of tributaries, it looks like the demarcation line is going to be the first bridge, dam, or roadway crossing for all tribs (minus any designated trout streams).

3Rivers

I feel like I’m opening a vein here but…

Go to the 25:00 mark and just start listening. Sorry Tom, but you are just out of touch with the anglers in MN. First of all, the law wasn’t changed for CATFISH only, that is just plain false. Secondly, MN is on the only state in the country that you can’t fish more than 1 line. You guys that are against this are just in a bubble. Just boils my blood. (
    Also, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean you have to do it, keep fishing the way you want to.
    There’s more to MN Fishing than walleyes…

http://www.mybobcountry.com/reel-talk-outdoors/?fbclid=IwAR1g_wNyx4lBXe0lDLv22jRqvIps8yZXuaGPE3QvLpa7EmYLQETfbeBKZHI

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sorry Tom, but you are just out of touch with the anglers in MN.

Wasn’t the first and won’t be the last time this will be said. coffee

I’m surprised he didn’t say “I allowed it”.

3Rivers

and so we THOUGHT is was done )

Turns out the DNR overlooked this in the new regs and you won’t find it, either in the book on on the electronic PDF version.

Not entirely sure what happened, but until then I guess using the MN River Fishing page is your best reference. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries/minnesota-river.html

General
    Two lines are allowed during the open water season downstream of the Granite Falls dam on the Minnesota River to Pool 2 on the Mississippi River.

Umy
    South Metro

Honestly, no disrespect intended. I can see two lines on the ice but WHY do I need two lines in my boat? Do I have a bobber line going while throwing for bass or two trolling lines to double my chances? Are you fishing to catch enough to stay alive?
    I don’t get it

B-man

Honestly, no disrespect intended. I can see two lines on the ice but WHY do I need two lines in my boat? Do I have a bobber line going while throwing for bass or two trolling lines to double my chances? Are you fishing to catch enough to stay alive?
    I don’t get it

Nobody is forcing anyone to use two lines, but it would be a nice option for others to utilize.

Ever try trolling with one line? It’s boring as s***

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I still don’t understand what’s so bad about multiple lines? We have fish limits in place, so you wanna use 10 lines to get your limit who cares?? I can’t imagine pulling boards with one line! A guy would need more kids or friends.. lol

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Now Year round C & R for bass.

Umy
    South Metro

Understood – just don’t get it is all but that’s no ones problem but my own.
    Not saying its bad – just not something I think is needed. IMHO
    Also, i think trolling is boring ass no matter how many lines so…. coffee

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Turns out the DNR overlooked this in the new regs and you won’t find it, either in the book on on the electronic PDF version.

According to Fleet Farm the DNR doesn’t have reg books out yet, and FF had no idea when they will…so maybe they can still get it right?!?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t get it

No disrespect here either.

As a catfisherman, I can use two or three lines where I normally fish.
    I love setting up for Flatheads with a live bait and then one for channel cats with a dead bait. Hence two lines are welcomed.

As a sturgeon fisherman that has fished pool 2 for both cats and sturgeon, having two lines out can mean the difference in being skunked in a 6 hour trip or not.

As a very part time walleye/pan fishermen, it allows me to use two lines if I wish.

There are people out there that don’t understand the use of two lines and that’s ok. Just don’t force your beliefs on me and I won’t make you use two line or three when your on the Wisconsin side of the river.

Ps I’m a 99.5 catch and release guy, my choice. I don’t force C&R on anyone that keeps their fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Understood – just don’t get it is all but that’s no ones problem but my own.
    Not saying its bad – just not something I think is needed. IMHO
    Also, i think trolling is boring ass no matter how many lines so…. coffee

toast

JEREMY
    BP

I wish when we used to catfish 3 or 4 nights a week we could have used two lines. Two guys in the boat can cover alot more area that way. That being said most guys used 2 lines anyway now they will probably use 3.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Count me also as one who just don’t understand the need for 2 lines. Not that I’m against the new change, or at all against those who want to use 2 lines. To me the problem with it is that know one can tell me it will not increase hooking mortality. Take someone bobber fishing for walleyes on Mille Lacs. Got 4 bobbers with leaches out and several lines all go down at one ( Happens often ) While a person is fighting and landing fish #1 fish #2 is swallowing the leech all the way down to its gullet. I understand why guides love the idea. I understand why people who struggle to catch fish love it, Double the lines also double their chance to catch a limit. Just so many things these days putting addition pressure on the fish population. Hope most enjoy catch and release fishing mostly, Because at some point the limits are going to be reduced to the point that catch and release will become mostly what it will be.

JEREMY
    BP

I tried using two lines for walleyes on the river the last open weekend for about 2 minutes and realized it was a pain in the ass. But as mentioned before for catfishing would be awesome.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“Hope most enjoy catch and release fishing mostly, Because at some point the limits are going to be reduced to the point that catch and release will become mostly what it will be.”

I understand this is why ice houses with kitchens are popular on Mille Lacs……

BigWerm
    SW Metro

To me the problem with it is that know one can tell me it will not increase hooking mortality.

Well since you are so open minded about it I won’t try and change your mind… rotflol Other than reminding you and everyone that Hooking Mortality is not a scientifically sound, nor data backed, management tool, and that is why it is not used in any sort of management outside of the political management of Mille Lacs. Hooking mortality happens, but not in a statistically significant amount and 1, 2, 3 or 6 lines won’t change that. Personally I fish P4 a lot (have been able to use 2 lines for as long as I’ve fished there), and I rarely do. Sometimes via a dubuque rig, or if I’m trolling but 2 jigging lines is too much for my enjoyment.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.