Lake Mary

• markmoran
    Rochester MN

Any info on Lake Mary, looking at booking a trip in early June to target some family fun and fishing. Bass mostly, but would be interested in anything. Can I find something good with this lake?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Mark, I live on Mary so I get out there a fair amount. The bass, crappie and sunfish fishing is very good. The lake is probably known best for its walleye fishing, but due to heavy fishing pressure when the bite is hot the walleye population will cycles up and down pretty drastically. The last couple years it’s been pretty slow, so we should be seeing signs of the next year class coming through shortly.

Mary is a great family lake. There always seems to be something biting. The main part of the lake is best for walleye, northern and bass. If you can locate the panfish out there they can be very nice sized, but I’d recommend the southern part of the lake. It’s a pretty good sized bay that everyone calls Little Mary. There is always fish biting there so that would be a great place to start and get few fish in the boat. Let me know if you have any other questions, I’d be happy to help.

What resort were you looking at?

markmoran
    Rochester MN

westridge shores, is this a good one for small kids?
    Thanks, are there some lilly pads?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Westridge is good but I’ve heard BigFoot resort on the South end is also very nice. I guess they recently put in a pool. That might be nice for the kids if the water was too cold for swimming in the lake at the beginning of June?

Yes, there are Lilly pads around the lake. There are also pencil reeds virtually around the whole lake and they hold some very nice Bass. You should have plenty of options for Bass. There are also other lakes in the area that have huge Bass, so you have more water to fish than you’ll have time

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Thanks Joe, you could let me know about any of those HUGE bass you are talking about! but the main thing I like to do up there is fish the pads with frogs, at least thats what time has allowed for usually, we don’t get to fish too often with small kids so the middle of the day during nap time is about it, so we can still get bass in the pads with the high sun. and its a blast when they pound it on the top!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Frogs over the pads are fun! I only fished large mouth twice all year but we caught 8 over 20″ with the biggest being 23″. I’m a walleye guy, but those fish got me pretty jacked up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.