Walleye Opener Weekend!

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I just got off the lake a little while ago and what a beautiful night! The walleye chop was perfect and the fish agreed.

The reports from the area have been fair. It hasn’t been limits every where you turn like most years but if you work at it limits are definitely coming to the boat. I’ve been on a few lakes the past few days and the fishing seems to be best on the shallower small lakes. I’ve been able to consistently get limits of nice 15″-19″ fish. Most of the fish are coming from 8′-15’FOW. The baits of choice are pretty standard with jigs and lindys tipped with minnows producing most of the fish. Areas with sand and gravel have been my main areas of choice. The water is still a bit on the cool side so a slow presentation is very important. Use any means you have to get down as slow as possible. Quite a few of my hits are coming when I’m not even moving.

The crappies are also still going strong in the shallow bays. Keep in mind that there are many bays that had crappies in them last week but are now empty. Luckily with such a variety of lakes to choose from there are deeper colder lakes that are just now hitting their prime.

We’ll it’s late so that’s all for tonight

Good luck and get out and enjoy yourself!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.