Cedar Near Aitkin?

• Chumba

Ive been looking for the Walleyes on Cedar for Years. Anyone have any advise or hotspots to try?

lancew

seems like youre just better off targeting bass on cedar for a more consistent bite. I think the walleyes are tough…IMO.

Chumba

I hear ya, and Ive caught my share of bass.. But im on the lake, i see the reports that it is stocked. Ive seen pictrues and heard rumors of 30 inchers in there.. Yet I cant even put one in the boat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

maybe try trolling crank baits along the weed lines at night. In the fall troll them above the dieing weeds at night.

Jake_A

Not familiar with this lake at all, but a go-to tactic that never fails is a lighted slip bobber at night with a jig and a leech along weedlines-inside or outside edges. Set it 6 inches to a foot off the bottom and just wait… Eventually a walleye will grab onto it. On Balsam Lake in Polk County, WI, walleyes are present but low numbers. This tactic takes more than a few fish on spring nights

Especially target areas where rocks and weeds meet

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Lots of stucture on Cedar. a clear lake I have never fished for walleyes there, been on the lake a few times. I would try at night, chub or sucker might work

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Quote:

seems like youre just better off targeting bass on cedar for a more consistent bite. I think the walleyes are tough…IMO.

That seems to be the case for us and then get the occasional bonus walleye or muskie. I am primarily a bass fisherman, but have dabbled in walleye fishing there to no avail. Our best walleyes (5+ lbs.) have come while jig fishing for bass. We have also caught a few 40″+ muskie the last few years. Cedar is a wonderful place that we visit a couple times per year. We will be coming up a week from tomorrow and can’t wait. Good fishing to all!

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

I forgot to add, welcome to the site Chumba. If you live on the lake shoot me a pm.

Chumba

We have a cabin on the lake, so I am there many weekends. this weekend, but not next, then then I will be back june 7th. I do fish solo mostly, I have just a small 12ft alumacraft, but it gets me around. always looking for a fishing buddy

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

I will let you know our next trip

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Chumba check your messages

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Just saw your Cedar Lake post… I’m originally from Aitkin and while I spend my time on Mille lacs I have fished Cedar a few times and can give you some good info.

During the summer your best ‘eye fishing on Cedar will come by fishing weedlines. Not all weedlines are equal however, weedlines that produce should have direct access to deep water. Also finding a weedline with a hard bottom (sand vs mud) is important. Using a good rod you should be able to feel if you are on a hard bottom. A “perfect” weedline would have a steep break into deep water on one edge and a large flat weedbed that eyes can use to roam and feed on on the other side. Drag a 1/8 oz either plain jig or fuzzy grub with a shiner (fatheads work as well but fish size isn’t as good) or leech and slow troll all the way around the island trying to stay just outside of the weedline but making sure to stay close enough that you end up in the weeds once in a while as well.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

We took our annual trip up to Cedar Lake near Aitkin once again last week. We had heard the water was high and boy was it. The day we arrived, the cabin where we are blessed to stay had water to the tops of the docks. Some folks were even out hunting for their dock sections that had floated away.

Aside from the high water, the water temps at arrival were around 65 degrees with a staining to the water uncommon for this lake. Our primary targeted species were largemouth. Throughout the course of the week, there was little wind or rain to speak of as air temps were in the upper 70’s to low 80’s with bluebird skies. By the end of the week water temps were up to 75 and the water had dropped 8-10″.

With that said, we found that the largemouth bite was a bit difficult, but the rock bass bite was tremendous all the way through with a pike bite picking up at the end. By process of elimination, we concluded that the largemouth needed the lure dropped right in their face and were not open to a horizontal presentation. My son and my buddy had very good results from the use of wacky worms weighted with 1/8 oz and all colors seemed to be effective. I chose to go the 1/2 oz jig and craw route in varying colors also with good results. We found that steep drops with cabbage growth produced the most fish. Only a handful of 2 1/2-3 pounders were caught, but a large number in the 1 1/2 pound range were taken.

All in all it was a very good trip with a high volume of fish caught and beautiful weather. What more could a guy ask for?

Chumba

nice report Tom. We had similar results (Sorry, was busy hosting all weekend, and didnt get a chance to call) Lots of little pike, with only a few larger than 18in. I ended up pretty decent on the large mouth, with most of them coming right off the dock. as always, Ive done the best with just plain old leeches or worms. I had what i was calling a mini mepps tipped with a leech. Caught the beast below and a pretty large blue gill.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Outstanding! Our group got to big to go at the same time, so group two is up there right now. These guys love to fish leeches. If I get a report I will fill you in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.