A Topic To Pis s off everyone: Where this virus goes.

• B-man

phishingruven01, we aren’t completely f-ed. Settle down for Christ’s sake.

With the steps our country has taken, the China Virus should infect less Americans than a bad flu year. An added bonus is that less people will be infected with Influenza as well due to the awareness and isolation.

Both will take a toll, but the numbers don’t lie. The Covid-19 virus, even though it is growing, is still peanuts compared to “the flu.”

Italy has lost 5,500 people to Covid19 so far. The 23,000 people that die there every year from Influenza don’t make the headlines. It would have to get four times worse to even compete to what they consider “normal.”

When our diagnosed cases reach into the tens of millions you can press the panic button (I will too). Currently there are less than a half million diagnosed cases GLOBALLY.

Until then, wash your hands, avoid the elderly, avoid groups of people, and settle down.

I won’t say it’s under control yet, but you should still worry more about the flu right now than the Coronavirus.

More people have already died from the flu in the United States alone, than have died GLOBALLY from Covid-19.

So far this flu season, 370,000 people in the United States have been HOSPITALIZED for Influenza. Millions more here have/had the flu.

We’re not f-ed…..We’re just scared because it’s new

Covid19 has killed almost 15,000 people since it started last year.

Car accidents have killed 333,000 people since January 1st.

13,000,000 (thirteen million) people have died from everything else since January 1st…..

Al-Wichman just lost a friend to suicide over losing his job from a Coronavirus shutdown. I lost my own brother to it over a decade ago. 800,000 people commit suicide every year. Eight hundred thousand….let that sink in. (15,000 have died from cv19 so far)

We should be far more worried about our physical condition, economy, car accidents, and mental health in our world than some stupid panic attack bug from China. I’m not saying it’s not a big deal, but in the grand scheme it’s relatively small. The steps that have been taken will help to minimize it.

My heart goes out to all of those infected by this virus. I wish a speedy recovery to everyone this touches.

R-E-L-A-X people. Life will go on.

Our economy might not, but LIFE WILL

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

applause applause Very well said B. applause applause

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Still comparing it to the flu.

Everyone should brush up on propaganda, what it is and how it works.

But everyone is too smart and you already know all about it, right

B-man

Still comparing it to the flu.

Everyone should brush up on propaganda, what it is and how it works.

But everyone is too smart and you already know all about it, right

Other than panicking, what do you suggest people do?

Look at the data, not the headlines.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m still of the opinion its being wildly exaggerated by the media and social websites causing undo panic at the national and state level.

Go Spuds

The whole comparing it to the flu has gotta stop, no big deal, blown out of proportion etc-evidently IDO is made of the majority of the midwests elite medical and pandemic minds though..

What if maybe we went back to keeping IDO Fishing Forum about…fishing?

castle-rock-clown

Covid can kill, the flu can kill. Either way your dead and you have little say so on which you get. Your only chance may be medical intervention…but only if there is room for you and enough staff to treat you.

Social distancing and proper hygiene practices are your only real defense against either. I would rather be broke and bored at home alive to see another day than so sick I need a hospital, and end up dead anyways.

Let’s all be selfish and do what we can to stay out of the hospital.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pretend like you already have the flu or covid for a 2 week time frame. That way you will concentrate on the best practices you can to avoid spreading it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Bigwerm mentioned 16% need hospitalization and 1% die. What i would want to know is what percentage of those 16% survive without hospitalization. Based on predictions of hospitals being overrun that’s what we are facing. if the number is low then ok its the flu. if out of those 16% half of them die without help and hospitals have the problems most are predicting then this is not the flu

fred bartling

The latest numbers as reported my multiple news organizations:

The number of reported cases of covid-19 continues to rise exponentially in the United States, where testing was slow to begin. The disease, caused by a new coronavirus, has been confirmed in every state, with many seeing rapid growth in the number of known cases as more tests are performed.

Confirmed cases

Reported deaths
    Washington
    1,996 cases
    New York
    16,916 cases
    California
    1,813 cases
    State Confirmed cases Change from Saturday Deaths
    New York 16,916 5,206 +44% 153
    Washington 1,996 203 +11% 95
    New Jersey 1,914 587 +44% 21
    California 1,813 449 +33% 35
    Illinois 1,050 297 +39% 9
    Michigan 1,038 250 +32% 9
    Florida 1,007 348 +53% 13
    Louisiana 837 252 +43% 20
    Massachusetts 646 121 +23% 5
    Georgia 621 114 +22% 25
    Colorado 595 205 +53% 7
    Pennsylvania 516 120 +30% 5
    Tennessee 505 134 +36% 2
    Wisconsin 383 101 +36% 4
    Ohio 356 108 +44% 3
    Connecticut 327 133 +69% 8
    North Carolina 311 58 +23% 0
    Texas 304 — 8
    Maryland 249 56 +29% 3
    Virginia 221 65 +42% 6
    Mississippi 207 67 +48% 1
    Indiana 204 76 +59% 7
    South Carolina 196 25 +15% 3
    Nevada 191 30 +19% 2
    Utah 181 45 +33% 1
    Minnesota 169 31 +22% 1
    Arkansas 165 43 +35% 0
    Oregon 161 47 +41% 5
    Alabama 157 26 +20% 0
    Arizona 152 34 +29% 2
    Missouri 150 76 +103% 3
    District of Columbia 120 43 +56% 2
    Kentucky 103 16 +18% 3

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

Donald J. Trump ”

I hope we we start opening things up again cautiously. We cannot destroy this country over this. It isnt worth it and its an insult to our ancestors.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

The most accurate and up-to-date overall numbers I have found are at:

World

US

Based on my reading it would appear that many organizations are using this for their reporting

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m still of the opinion its being wildly exaggerated by the media and social websites causing undo panic at the national and state level.

EXACTLY!

this world is full of people who panic at the slightest thing. You can’t fix that.
    If you are sick….STAY HOME.

castle-rock-clown

So if your unknowingly infected and able to spread the virus , but not symptomatic, what should you do???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So if your unknowingly infected and able to spread the virus , but not symptomatic, what should you do???

Like previously posted, pretend you have it and utilize those practices by avoiding people.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If not coughing/sneezing I dont see how you would spread it easily. If everyone maintains some distancing and good hygiene I dont see how the asymptomatic are a huge problem.

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>

Like previously posted, pretend you have it and utilize those practices by avoiding people.

I agree, my statement was rhetorical to the one above.

toddrun

I understand the comparison with the flu. But, the biggest difference is that there are vaccines for certain flu strains, others have been around for a long time and people have developed their own immunities to them.

This is called Novel for a reason, it is new. No one has immunities to it and there are no vaccines currently. Making it WAY more contagious than the flu, for everyone.

This pursuit of social distancing is to help SLOW the spread, not stop it. This is to help out the medical industry, so that it does not get more overwhelmed than it already is, and can provide better help for the people that need it.

This is not fake news….

castle-rock-clown

Respiratory viruses can be released with just normal respiration. While not as far reaching as a cough or a sneeze, it can still spread.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Respiratory viruses can be released with just normal respiration. While not as far reaching as a cough or a sneeze, it can still spread.

That is not true. Simply standing in close proximity to someone who has it and breathing the “same air” is not going to get you infected. Its not just floating around in the air infecting people. It is spread through droplets from your nose or mouth or from touching something that has it with your hands and then you touch a specific portion of your face. Telling people that this virus is airborne will do nothing but make more people panic.

castle-rock-clown

I agree to disagree. Nobody is going anywhere near someone coughing or sneezes lately, but yet these viruses are spreading at exponential rates.

Mos’

It is not fake news that there is a virus out there

What is fake is this embarrassment of a panic. 100% manufactured! What is everyone scared off? Getting a runny nose and cough for 3 days? My gosh we act like we have never had a cold before!

Worried about hospitals being over run?? Try working in one, they are over run every day not by people who are actually sick but are “worried” or looking for a work note or want antibiotics for a virus! Gosh forbid people take responsibility for their own health we would easily be able take care of people who are really sick that cannot help themselves. The “helplessness” of a vast majority of a society is unreal

And we cannot compare it to the flu because why.. its new? Oh you mean the flu that we have vaccines for and know all about THAT STILL KILL MORE PEOPLE then this virus does?? All these sickening headlines about deaths and cases rising.. give me a break, not a SINGLE DEATH out of 7 BILLION people has been caused by Covid alone, if you can get past the scary headline you see that the causalities all had some other illness.. guess what elderly have a higher mortality rate in the natural world too.

Should we protect our most vulnerable yes, sure limit interactions with people at higher risk of serious problems should they get the virus but the over reach by government and panic is so much more damaging then the virus could ever be

But hey goal will be achieved – make more people dependent on government = control more of the sheep population

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I agree to disagree. Nobody is going anywhere near someone coughing or sneezes lately, but yet these viruses are spreading at exponential rates.

They claim these droplets can live on hard surfaces for days before dying. If an infected person wipes his nose with his hand, then starts stocking TP on the shelves and the hoarders pick it up and touch their mouth etc, you have a transfer.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!

Donald J. Trump ”

I hope we we start opening things up again cautiously. We cannot destroy this country over this. It isnt worth it and its an insult to our ancestors.

hahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Please do explain. Protecting Americans from getting a deadly virus is not worth it? It’s an insult to our ancestors. Insult to our ancestors? lol, what does that even mean? Your ‘points’ actually sound a lot like the Orange man’s, totally incoherent and meaningless.

Comparing this to the flu, car accidents, suicides? You guys are delusional.

My only hope is that you are spewing this garbage from your house, safely distancing yourself from others. God help us all if you all are out running around like total morons to prove how ‘wrong’ the hundreds of scientific experts around the world are.

And by the way, outside of your cult, quoting Trump doesn’t increase your credibility, it decreases it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Well we are already in this so a everyone might as well exercise reasonable caution and STFU about downplaying any of this.

Ice Cap

The fatality rate peaked on 3/3 at 9.7% at which time there were 13 deaths and 134 cumulative cases. The fatality rate has steadily dropped since to where it sits today at 1.2% with 485 deaths and over 40,000 cases. There are more reports recently of possible effective treatments and vaccine tests are ongoing and showing promise. Stay calm.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The fatality rate peaked on 3/3 at 9.7% at which time there were 13 deaths and 134 cumulative cases. The fatality rate has steadily dropped since to where it sits today at 1.2% with 485 deaths and over 40,000 cases. There are more reports recently of possible effective treatments and vaccine tests are ongoing and showing promise. Stay calm.

Right now hospitals are able to handle the patients they are seeing for the most part. lets see what the death rate is when hospitals can no longer treat all the patients.

MnPat1

Why even quote the numbers. I can make some up that would be far more accurate. No tests for even medical personnel. How do we know who has it when you can’t test. I would bet that 5 times as many people have it than is reported now.

The real concerning number is up to 25% of infected are health care workers.

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>

Right now hospitals are able to handle the patients they are seeing for the most part. lets see what the death rate is when hospitals can no longer treat all the patients.

Well I’m hoping as I’m sure you are that that doesn’t happen and the fatality rate continues to decline as it has been.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>

Why even quote the numbers. I can make some up that would be far more accurate. No tests for even medical personnel. How do we know who has it when you can’t test. I would bet that 5 times as many people have it than is reported now.

The real concerning number is up to 25% of infected are health care workers.

Well I quoted those numbers because they are as real time numbers as can be assembled that are out there right now. They are higher than the CDC numbers as their numbers lag and are updated only daily. Worse case real time numbers if you will. These are the same numbers most researchers who are closely tracking this are using. But feel free to make up your own which will be far more accurate of course.

But the real reason I post those numbers is I was hoping (apparently wrongly) that people could look at the numbers without the emotion of the news delivering them and maybe breathe just a small sigh of relief, Let just a little glimmer of hope push aside the thoughts of hopelessness and panic.
    As I said there are possible effective treatments and vaccines that are showing some promise. Stay calm or not, your choice.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.