A Topic To Pis s off everyone: Where this virus goes.

• Dan
    Southeast MN

Well part of the issue is that I had some cookie dough when I was younger and got a really bad case of salmonella from the raw eggs in it, so anything related to cookie dough really turns me off. Plus I don’t care for ice cream, candy, syrup, or anything else’s that’s loaded with sugar. But you go ahead and continue with your bowl of diabetic nightmare Dan

I think politically I identify mostly as something of an independent libertarian and that extends to ice cream freedom too. We may not agree but your choice of ice cream does not affect me so I hope you enjoy your freedom.

….this break from drama has been entertaining.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good old Cedar Crest Carmel Collision ice cream for me.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

currently..
    Italy. 9.5%
    iran 7.8 %
    spain 6.7%
    worldwide 4.4%

Again, too much CNN and worrying about other countries on the other side of the planet. These are simply # of deaths/# of confirmed cases. Its not as simple is that because that assumes every single person on the planet has been tested. Dr. Birx said herself the death rates of the coronavirus are actually 0.7-0.8% taking into affect the number of people that were positives and never got tested AND people that were carriers but asymptomatic. Likely very few, if any, died with coronavirus while never getting a diagnosis. By the time it supposedly got the US, docs were already aware of the symptoms. A fever with a dry cough that eventually results in pneumonia and ends up killing the patient. This diagnosis would be difficult to miss after spending several days in the hospital. I’m not aware of covid-19 suddenly dropping a patient dead like a heart attack would.

Anyway, man that future weather report looks great. So close to upper 50s and 60s. That’ll warm that river right up to get them walleyes feelin that type of way very soon! smash

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

pretty convenient to not quote the flu numbers too.
    just like not everybody who has the flu gets tested.
    we can use numbers for the flu, but not for covid 19. moving goal posts

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

those aren’t cnn numbers. don’t watch cnn or state run media.
    nice try though. got some more straws to grasp at?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

we are so f*cked as a country, it’s not even funny.
    let’s overwhelm every hospital everywhere. no big deal.

Bigwerm mentioned 16% need hospitalization and 1% die. What i would want to know is what percentage of those 16% survive without hospitalization. Based on predictions of hospitals being overrun that’s what we are facing.

It still may be too early to tell, but I do not believe our hospitals will be overrun. The sickest patients will have beds. The hospital I’m at, and have been at all weekend, canceled all elective surgeries last week. As did many, if not all other hospitals. That’s 100+ surgeries canceled, which means 100+ extra hospital beds weekly for just my smaller hospital alone. On top of that, Covid 19 rule out patients are being isolated to certain units, been that way for almost a week now. Of the 40 or so beds they’ve got set to the side for Covid pts, they don’t have a single one yet. From what I’ve been told there have been positives coming from the lab, but none of them are actually in the hospital.

Hospitals around the nation have been in panic mode, expecting the worst case scenario for weeks now. They’ve canceled surgeries, they’ve prepared staff, and they’re ready to staff to full at any moment. My unit I’m currently sitting on is not one of the covid units but we are very empty too. Been overstaffed just waiting to get slammed at any point but there have been no signs of it so far. Actually, there are rumors going around that now people are concerned they’re going to start laying off us nurses. Wouldn’t that be something?

Seattle got slammed because simply somebody had to get it first. There was no way to treat everyone because they weren’t prepared for it like everyone else is now. New York is struggling because they’re new York. Their population is bigger than LA and Chicago combined. Absolutely huge population in close proximity that revolves around public transportation (has the highest public transportation rate in the nation). Does that remind you of anyone? Maybe Italy? China?

Remember, it can take up to 2 weeks to start feeling symptoms after being exposed. We will absolutely see a surge in positive cases and deaths here now in the next few days to a week. Hospitals will fill up here soon too, but those that need the best care will receive it. Biggest concern of mine for now is the lack of ventilators for the sickest of the sick and the lack of PPEs for healthcare workers. Only time will tell.

B-man

My wife says there’s almost nothing to do at her clinic. They’ve reduced the patient load by almost 90% in her department (neurology).

Right now they are discussing moving some nurses to other clinics, but with elective surgeries on hold, there probably won’t be much to do there either???

She hasn’t heard the L word yet, but I’m sure it’s not far away for newer employees if they don’t start doing something soon.

Ice Cap

My wife says there’s almost nothing to do at her clinic. They’ve reduced the patient load by almost 90% in her department (neurology).

Right now they are discussing moving some nurses to other clinics, but with elective surgeries on hold, there probably won’t be much to do there either???

She hasn’t heard the L word yet, but I’m sure it’s not far away for newer employees if they don’t start doing something soon.

Seriously? There’s a possibility health care workers could be layed off due to business is slow? I think someone here or maybe another forum I’m on was saying the same thing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My wife is a CT Tech at a clinic and they have postponed all routine scans (x rays, CT scans, etc). Normal amount of scans is anywhere from 40-50 during her shift and they did 12 yesterday. Its quite possible they will either ask or force some of their techs to reduce their hours soon.

Its good that she is having as little interaction with others as possible, but at the same time she needs patients to keep busy…

B-man

As of now there are only 15 people in the entire STATE requiring hospitalization (thankfully).

You’d think we could fill at least some beds with elective surgeries for the time being anyway??

It’s been here for a bit of time already, I’d like to think an explosion of cases could be forecasted within reason?

Many surgeries can have patients in and out in a day or two.

If a spike in CV19 cases occurs they could easily cancel the upcoming electives. Am I crazy for thinking this?

We have a lot of talent (and payroll) in the state staring at empty beds at the moment….

My wife said they have 40% of their staff off sitting at home right now (voluntarily- they’re using their PTO time). What happens when the PTO runs out?

Empty beds don’t pay the bills for anyone.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That does not fit the agenda…. common sense has no place.

castle-rock-clown

Maybe their conserving their resources of PPE, keeping the infiltration of the Covid virus to a minimum affecting both hospital environment and staff, budgeting for potential staff overtime when/if there is an outbreak in the area…maybe it’s like knowing you have a limited number of bullets with the enemy a week away, and telling your troops to go out and target practice…I would think you would want to conserve your resources???

Nah, maybe I’m just talking stupid…

Timmy

Or on a bright note, maybe the steps that have been undertaken to slow the spread are having the desired effect?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Maybe their conserving their resources of PPE, keeping the infiltration of the Covid virus to a minimum affecting both hospital environment and staff, budgeting for potential staff overtime when/if there is an outbreak in the area…maybe it’s like knowing you have a limited number of bullets with the enemy a week away, and telling your troops to go out and target practice…I would think you would want to conserve your resources???

Bingo. Here at the Allina hospital I work at we are conserving PPE. It also allows for more patient rooms (same day surgery and OR’s). More rooms being converted to negative pressure and ventilators on there way. Low Census day are free paid days (not having to use PTO) for nursing (nursing sure the hell is not being laid off), pharmacy, etc. knowing the $hit storm is coming (likely)and overtime will be needed. Also, a knee or hip surgery also requires a 2-4 day stay on the floor….. the looming $hit storm can happen faster then that. We need those rooms.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Bingo. Here at the Allina hospital I work at we are conserving PPE. It also allows for more patient rooms (same day surgery and OR’s). More rooms being converted to negative pressure and ventilators on there way. Low Census day are free paid days (not having to use PTO) for nursing (nursing sure the hell is not being laid off), pharmacy, etc. knowing the $hit storm is coming (likely)and overtime will be needed. Also, a knee or hip surgery also requires a 2-4 day stay on the floor….. the looming $hit storm can happen faster then that. We need those rooms.

Thats interesting because I may or may not also work for that organization as well. Yes, they are doing a couple of the things you listed but they certainly arent doing it to conserve PPEs. Did you not realize that starting Monday they’re not allowing RNs to take RAs (voluntary day off because the unit you work on doesnt need you to come in on your scheduled day)? So long story short, the staffing office and supervisor are forcing all scheduled nurses in whether their unit needs them or not. I was charge Monday morning and had 9 pts on our unit with 6 nurses and 2 nursing assistants to take care of them. They’re purposely bringing in way too much staff. Dont ask me why that is, thats not my job to figure out, but it certainly isnt to limit PPEs. That I am sure of.

For whats its worth.. I also may or may not be an RN on an ortho unit working for that organization, but I do know that their average hospital stay is <2 nights for a hip/knee surgery. So whoever is telling you the 2-4 day requirement is extremely inaccurate. Majority of patients leave after 1 night. Hip fractures are longer, yes, but they are obviously going to continue to do those during these times so thats irrelevant.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I’m going to throw this out there as a thought exercise and before all the virus virtue signalers™ out there slam me I’m going to give this disclaimer. Yes I think this is serious, no I don’t want everyone to die. In places like Minnesota where the number of active cases and hospitalizations is basically a rounding error of zero (currently .004% of Minnesota has tested positive for CV, .00027% are hospitalized) what if we started the school & business shutdowns and shelter in place recommendations too early? The stated goal is to “flatten the curve”. But what if we don’t have a curve yet to flatten? With all the precautions the number of cases has not been growing exponentially, in fact it has been growing quite linearly at about 10% a day. So what if instead of flattening the curve we are just putting off the hospital crushing spike until sometime in the future. If an effective vaccine is more than a year away then at some point at some point before then unvaccinated people are going to have to get back to school and work or we will see far worse ramifications than the CV could ever dream of. Think 10’s of millions starving to death.I know what some of you are saying, all we have to do to prevent that is have a few essential businesses stay open. Stop and think about how inter connected our economy is. Sure farms could still operate but farmers need fuel for their equipment so the oil and gas industries have to stay open. They need spare parts when stuff breaks down so the factories producing those have to stay open. They need chemicals for fertilizer and insecticides so those have to stay open. You need all the industries those industries need to stay open. You need the food processors to stay open. You need every business they rely on to stay open and so on. Pretty soon you need most everyone except maybe Hollywood back to work. So back to my original point. Somewhat counter-intuitively don’t we need more infected people getting sick now and getting it over with? And if most of us are bound to get this anyway wouldn’t you be better off getting it sooner rather than later? Think about it, if you are one of the unlucky ones that are going have a severe case and need hospitalization when would you rather have that happen? Now when you probably have a half dozen bored doctors fighting over who gets to treat you or later when you might get left on a cot in a hospital corridor to die because the hospital is overwhelmed. And for the VVSers (Virus Virtue Signalers™) out there this is a thought experiment I am not advocating going out and intentionally getting sick. In fact my wife and I currently have the luxury of working from home so I am on my second week of no outside contact sheltering in place. Probably why I wrote this screed because the cabin fever is starting to get to me. Stay healthy everyone.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Thats interesting because I may or may not also work for that organization as well. Yes, they are doing a couple of the things you listed but they certainly arent doing it to conserve PPEs. Did you not realize that starting Monday they’re not allowing RNs to take RAs (voluntary day off because the unit you work on doesnt need you to come in on your scheduled day)? So long story short, the staffing office and supervisor are forcing all scheduled nurses in whether their unit needs them or not. I was charge Monday morning and had 9 pts on our unit with 6 nurses and 2 nursing assistants to take care of them. They’re purposely bringing in way too much staff. Dont ask me why that is, thats not my job to figure out, but it certainly isnt to limit PPEs. That I am sure of.

For whats its worth.. I also may or may not be an RN on an ortho unit working for that organization, but I do know that their average hospital stay is <2 nights for a hip/knee surgery. So whoever is telling you the 2-4 day requirement is extremely inaccurate. Majority of patients leave after 1 night. Hip fractures are longer, yes, but they are obviously going to continue to do those during these times so thats irrelevant.
    [/quote]

Hey man we’re on the same team. Your response is exactly the reason I don’t post here anymore or have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat account. You assume your small world is how everyone else’s world is also. Wrong!

Judging by your avatar picture, you are just starting your career. Bravo! I commend you for your line of work. I also see that you are likely at a metro area hospital. Some things for you to think about. For ortho procedures outside of the metro…. how do you suppose patient’s rehab without outpatient ortho surgery centers and the outpatient PT services available?. Do you suppose surgeons keep them in house to ensure optimal recovery? Do you suppose the in absence of those outpatient service these patient’s rely on rehab at swingbed facilities and nursing homes? Do you suppose the PT services at rural nursing homes are as good as those facilities in the Cities? So, do some total knees get discharged on POD #1… yes. But not many. Don’t worry about it man. i used to beat my chest about how much I know but then I realized I just sound like a douche. i am older now and you will get there.

different nursing unions effect hours in different ways. But I can assure you if you reading all your emails that especially in outlying regions that we are closing these services to maximize patient rooms and conserve PPE! Also, rural hospitals don’t have many negative pressure rooms and ventilators, so yes they are receiving high priority. Unless of course you want us to transport all our patient’s to you?

Also, judging from your picture that we share the same passion. Stay safe my friend… You are in my prayers.

PS: you will never win a pissing match with me! devil

Dan
    Southeast MN

Joe and tbro, thanks for pushing through and working hard during this ordeal.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Tbro, I always thought you work or may not work for the Pohlads?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

jester fair shot.

That said, I cant stand the Pohlads. Just a big, big fan of some that actually do!

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

how do you suppose patient’s rehab without outpatient ortho surgery centers and the outpatient PT services available?. Do you suppose surgeons keep them in house to ensure optimal recovery? Do you suppose the in absence of those outpatient service these patient’s rely on rehab at swingbed facilities and nursing homes? Do you suppose the PT services at rural nursing homes are as good as those facilities in the Cities? So, do some total knees get discharged on POD #1… yes. But not many. Don’t worry about it man. i used to beat my chest about how much I know but then I realized I just sound like a douche. i am older now and you will get there.

Sure sounds like it Joe! crazy I’ll let you have your moment. If you’d like to me actually answer all those questions shoot me a PM. Wont bother to bore anyone else.

Anyway, frankly I’m just here for the discussion. Not here to buddy up with anyone. You dont need to sugar coat anything! Clearly working at a metro hospital is much different than working at a rural. I get why you don’t understand what happens on an ortho floor down here.

That said, I do wish you and all your coworkers the best. And be sure to conserve those PPEs tongue

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

YES!!!!! Classic! rotflol

Thanks for the laugh. I’m sitting here in my hospital and I needed that!

Viewing 24 posts - 91 through 114 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.