24v Terrova Trolling Motor Plug

• holstc

My 24v Terrova keeps stopping yet will immediately be able to be turned back on. From my internet research I believe the circuit breaker is tripping. Terrova specs say it can pull up to 56A and I believe my panel breaker is 40A. My boat was purchased used and I am using the same receptacle that came with the boat and they no longer make my plug receptical but older posts about this style plugin say it is rated for 40A. My trolling motor has had this issue every time since purchasing.

My question is does anyone know of a panel and plug that could be used in place of this one that is rated for 60A and roughly the same size 8” by 2”. My boat is fiberglass and I do not want to cut another hole. I would also like to keep my wiring the same with the series conversion of 2 12v batteries to 24v being done by the plug.

Panel in pic below is currently what I have installed.

Thx!

Attachments:
    1. F064FA53-FFAD-4516-978B-F77C0B9841D0.jpeg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Marinco has recently updated that plug, so the internal jumper is now rated to 60 amps. It fits the same socket.

http://www.marinco.com/en/2018bp-24

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-12-24-Volt-Troll-Plug/dp/B000NI38O4

If you buy this plug, make sure the packaging indicates the 60-amp rating, so you’re not getting old, 40-amp stock.

Then, upgrade your breaker to one rated at 60 amps, like this;

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB285-60-Surface-Mount-Circuit-Breakers/dp/B01FWMM09O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528191399&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=bussman+60+amp&psc=1

HRG

Kyhl
    Savage

My theory. there is no support for the weight of the plug in that style of connection. After so many hours of bouncing across rough waves the socket would stretch and lose contact with the plug. It would work for a little while after jiggling it into a connection.
    Replaced it over and over with a new one and the same problem would re-occur after a couple months of fishing.

Finally swapped out the flat socket to a socket that supports the weight of the plug. Haven’t had a problem in three years.

I switched to this style plug and haven’t had a problem since. The socket supports the plug. When you crash a large wave under power the socket and plug are supported as one unit so the plug doesn’t stretch the socket.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/T-H-Marine-Ranger-Style-Trolling-Motor-Plug-Receptacle/699783.uts

I recommend any plug socket combo where the socket supports the plug, over that flat mount socket.

holstc

Does that ranger style plug make the series connection internally or do I need to re-wire my batteries to deliver 24v to the plug?

Kyhl
    Savage

Does that ranger style plug make the series connection internally or do I need to re-wire my batteries to deliver 24v to the plug?

Honestly, it has been so long now that I don’t remember. I know that I didn’t rewire my boat for it, Alumacraft TPro.

The socket hole fit the same size hold as the flat mount socket but the screw holes are in a different location. I had to drill new holes for the mounting screws.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Both.

-J.

Kyhl
    Savage

Re-reading your question, is your circuit breaker tripping? Are you having to reset it?
    If so, then you have a different issue. My issue was the sockets wearing out.

holstc

I am really not sure if it is tripping. I believe it is an auto reset breaker. I think I am going to redo the plug and also the breaker to 60A as everyone suggested. my tolerance for equipment failures is low.

Thank you everyone who took the time to help me. If you ever need a pool 4 report pm me.

Thx!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I believe it is an auto reset breaker

I don’t know of a circuit breakers that is an auto reset. They blow because there was a problem and you need look into the problem before manually resetting one.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>holstc wrote:</div>
    I believe it is an auto reset breaker

I don’t know of a circuit breakers that is an auto reset. They blow because there was a problem and you need look into the problem before manually resetting one.

Unfortunately, there ARE auto-reset breakers available, the cheap little $3 ones,,,,

https://www.delcity.net/store/12V-Auto-Reset-Circuit-Breakers/p_198669.h_198846

HRG

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

IMHO the best plug out there for trolling motors is made by Battery Tender.
    trolling motor plug

You may still need to rework the mounting surface and deal with rewiring a new breaker. This plug will handle the electrical load and has a locking cam to keep it plugged in and supported.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.