2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve only seen 2 videos of the play and both showed the play leading upto the moment of impact and ended. At first I thought the reports about it being malicious surprisingly had some merit, I just couldn’t fathom how a hockey player could not purposely get their leg up that high and in that motion, but after I saw a clearer slo-mo video that showed more of how the play developed and watched how the body/skating physics unfolded I could see how that leg motion could happen and i’m 99% convinced it wasn’t malicious at all..

curious to see how this arrest plays out as its unprecedented in sports (as far as I know)

just a terrible terrible accident…it looks like USA Hockey will mandate neck protection for all Youth Hockey starting next year…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I thought there was a distinct kicking motion upwards when I watched it. While I don’t think there was malicious intent to injure, I do think the player purposefully kicked his skate in the air. Which is why the charge would be manslaughter, not murder. That’s my understanding.

Ripjiggen

Have a friend working on another option for neck guards because of the mandates and lack of options.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought there was a distinct kicking motion upwards when I watched it. While I don’t think there was malicious intent to injure, I do think the player purposefully kicked his skate in the air. Which is why the charge would be manslaughter, not murder. That’s my understanding.

it’s hard to see, but the hitter’s contact leg had no weight on it and ended up toepicking the ice when he got clipped by the other forward crossing in front of him… if you look at that specific spot of the video, it’s pretty clear imo…

There’s just no way a hockey player who’s reached the semi-pro level is going to lift their leg like that on purpose, there’s just no way it would even cross your mind to do it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Have a friend working on another option for neck guards because of the mandates and lack of options.

My 7 year old is super picky about clothing and I got him the Bauer undershirt that has the kevlar turtleneck built in and he wears it without any issues, that’s the direction it needs to go. I remember back in my youth hockey days after the Clint Melarchuk incident my dad buying me the rounded velcro neck guard and making me wear it, I hated it…

I just bought my kid the newer design Duzter compression shirt with both Neck and wrist/forearm kevlar protection, it’s backordered until December like most other neck protection gear…

Ripjiggen

Hence they cant mandate immediately. Not enough availability.

tswoboda

curious to see how this arrest plays out as its unprecedented in sports (as far as I know)

Agree this is pretty surreal and will be interested how the legal plays out, even in a different country’s judicial system. Obviously the jurisdiction doing the investigation felt there was some level of intent or recklessness… and their opinion, along with the judge/jury, is the only opinion that matters here.

I remember wearing those fabric/velcro neckguards a couple years in youth, I think it was a local association mandate. My opinion they were pretty worthless, and agree the cut resistant clothing covering the vital areas is what will catch on.

basseyes

Haven’t watched the video of it, and probably won’t. Is it as bad as it sounds?

JoeMX1825
    MN

yeah, there’s some edited videos online that show about 3 seconds of the play and end right at the moemnt of impact, that’s what I was referencing…

tswoboda

Haven’t watched the video of it, and probably won’t. Is it as bad as it sounds?

Yup, wouldn’t recommend anyone watch it. For me personally knowing the stakes, that a young man lost his life from it, makes it infinitely worse.

JoeMX1825
    MN

basseyes – I PM’d you a link to the video I was referencing (nothing graphic), your choice to watch it or not, but I it helped me understand the play alot better as it drove me nuts for days until I found and watched it…just didn’t want you to look for it and accidentally see the full version…

CaptainMusky

From what I watched, full video by accident and then the slow mo one being referenced it was an intentional act. He didnt intend to get him in the neck, but he certainly intended to impede him because he was out of position. There ZERO reason or explanation for his leg to be up in the air. There was no contact with anyone else. He didnt mean to have this happen, but he certainly intended to impede his path and that is what he did and it was this tragic outcome.

JoeMX1825
    MN

From what I watched, full video by accident and then the slow mo one being referenced it was an intentional act. He didnt intend to get him in the neck, but he certainly intended to impede him because he was out of position. There ZERO reason or explanation for his leg to be up in the air. There was no contact with anyone else. He didnt mean to have this happen, but he certainly intended to impede his path and that is what he did and it was this tragic outcome.

I felt the same way until I paid more attention to the hitter’s collision with Adam’s Nottingham teammate on the blueline…You can see the hitter loading up on his right leg edging in for a huge open ice hit, but is slightly clipped by the Nottingham player cutting in front of him at the blueline, you can see his left leg (that had no weight on it) clip the Nottingham player’s skate and toepick sending the wet noodle leg/skate violently upwards…

The worst thing the hitter could have intentionally done had he not got clipped by the Nottingham player was knee Adam, if he didn’t get clipped it would have been a huge open ice hit…just my opinion, that’s how I see the play…. just absolutely tragic what actually happend…

CaptainMusky

I didnt see that at all Joe. I know it wasnt intentional and I watched that video more than I care to admit but from what I see it does not pass the eye test for me.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I didnt see that at all Joe. I know it wasnt intentional and I watched that video more than I care to admit but from what I see it does not pass the eye test for me.

I hear ya, I hope i’m right and there’s 0.000% chance this wasn’t at all intentional and just crazy physics… it’s crazy this doesn’t happen more often, it seems every month or so i’m watching ESPN+ and there’s a super slo-mo replay of a check and collision and just how close skate blades come to cutting guys, the angles that legs can contort to under immense stress is hard to beleive possible alot of times…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Danila Yurov had 2 goals and an assist today in the KHL, he’s upto 18 points in 26 games…

wormdunker

There’s just no way a hockey player who’s reached the semi-pro level is going to lift their leg like that on purpose, there’s just no way it would even cross your mind to do it…

You have no way of knowing what a player was thinking. This guy led the league in PIMS last year by a margin. He had several games in excess of 20 minutes with a high of 32 PIMS in one game. I’ve payed some hockey, I had heavy roles. You have to lose your mind to get to 32 minutes in one game.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/player/1720-matthew-petgrave/game-log?id_season=36

Lower skilled players will do anything they can to make an impact. That is true from Bar league on up. They dont have the skill, they don’t have control of their stick, elbows or legs. They often have panicked reactions to make plays. In this case Adam made a move Petgrave wasn’t expecting, yeah he got a little contact but it feels like he threw his leg a bit more than normal to try and slow him down. Petgrave is a d-man so he likely felt like he was out of position and needed to make up for it, it was a panic effort that led to a tragic outcome. The lower skilled player on the ice is always the most dangerous. This guys track record indicates he may have a screw loose. I would be willing to guess he has had stick swinging infractions based on the PIMs he has been assessed. I hope they took a blood sample following the game…

Ripjiggen

Hate to pile on this but he has been suspended before for kicking/leg whipping in the mid section. Plenty of videos on line of it. Almost the same play but leg was lower.

Can’t imagine being a family member of Adam’s

RIP Adam Johnson.

tswoboda

Cross-check meet slew-foot ha I couldn’t stop laughing when I saw the replay. Leon has always been stealth dirty, nothing new. There’s a meme of Kaprizov’s face clearly in pain after getting netted by Draisaitl.

Oh and show the whole play… Horvat slew-foot/leg trip leads to Draisaitl cross-slew-check (??)

CaptainMusky

He got fined $5000 for it. Dude has a massive temper.

Ripjiggen

He probably has 5k laying in the bottom of his hockey bag.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rossi between Kirill and Zuccy line at today’s practice…

No mention of Kirill’s injury which is kinda strange since the team and beat writers brought it up days ago….

JoeMX1825
    MN

So NHL GMs aren’t considering a 10 minute Overtime, but are instead considering removing the team with puck possession’s ability to purposefully regroup outside of the zone… in an effort they say will make OT more exciting????

I just don’t get it… how can they be so stupid?!?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Draisaitl is a whiny attitude problem who thinks he deserves better than the team he signed the contract with. Funny how cheap shot artists wonder are always the victim and only doing what they do to retaliate. I wonder why the whole league wants to lay Draisaitl out? Hmmm…

AK Guy

I saw a report that there’s been at least three pro hockey players charged with crimes stemming from altercations on the ice. All were convicted. One was in Italy and the other two were NHLer’s, Marty McSorley and Todd Bertuzzi. None of the charges were for manslaughter, but clearly the players were held accountable in the court of law. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,471 through 1,500 (of 5,371 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.