2017 NTW PDC Day 1 Results

• riverruns
    Inactive

There was mention that some used creek Chubs as bait in the tournament. I know willow cats rule but what’s the deal with creek chubs? How do they possibly keep them alive, and really lively to attract walleye? I’m missing something here obviously. I’ve never heard of anyone using creek Chubs as walleye bait on the river as a live bait.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Creek Chubs are an early season fav by tourney anglers as few bait shops have suckers before the inland opener.

They are held like any other bait (cooler, bubbler change water often) except they have to have a lid on or they will jump out.

They work great for early season flatheads as well.

Since most are caught out of creeks and ditches (non AIS infested), they can be transported alive and used in other bodies of water then where caught.

Normally they are fished on a dead stick and are very effective for the larger size walleyes. Or so I’ve heard. )

riverruns
    Inactive

How do you keep them alive and bring them out of a cooler, with cold water, and put them into warm river water and still keep them alive? Seems like they would croke off? I assume they are rigged like a willow cat? Just doesn’t seem they would handle the recasting? Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Chubs and suckers keep well in a cooler as long as there’s a bubbler, the water doesn’t get too warm and the water is changed frequently.

This are 4 to 7 inches long. they are not cast like a willow cat…dead stick would be over the side of the boat or lindy rig style with a large enough slip sinker to keep them near the bottom.

404 ERROR
    MN

There was mention that some used creek Chubs as bait in the tournament. I know willow cats rule but what’s the deal with creek chubs? How do they possibly keep them alive, and really lively to attract walleye? I’m missing something here obviously. I’ve never heard of anyone using creek Chubs as walleye bait on the river as a live bait.

I’ve been using Creek Chubs for Walleyes for years. I may or may not have used them this spring in a tourney. They work very well at certain times, other times not so much. Rig them just like any other minnow just with a slightly larger hook. They’re lively little minnows! Keep them alive like you would a shiner and you should have no problems whatsoever. Easier said than done in some cases.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.