• saddletramp

About a week ago, I got a Springfield 1911 a1. 45,Full size, big gun! Does anyone use this for a carry gun? Not my plan, just curious.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

About a week ago, I got a Springfield 1911 a1. 45,Full size, big gun! Does anyone use this for a carry gun? Not my plan, just curious.

Would be a terrible carry guy I have a kimber 1911 and it’s just to big and heavy

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I know a couple guys who do, but I think it’s more of an ego thing than anything else. My LC9s is WAAAYYYY more comfy to carry than a full size 1911. Heck, any compact/sub-compact polymer frame 9/40/45 will be more pleasant to carry. One piece of quality advice I received was to carry what is comfortable, because if a firearm is NOT comfortable to carry, you won’t carry it often. And a “carry” piece does way more good on your hip than it does in the safe at home.

Edit: All theoretical of course. There are no firearms in my home.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Lol! I can’t even carry the 13 round .45 mag much less my Springfield XDs!

But yes there are folks that will and like to carry them.

IF I owned one I would carry it on certain occasions. Hunting is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If your into open carry then appropriate holster they are not bad, but I am never into open carry.

saddletramp

I agree with all the previous replies. I have several more appropriate carry guns, from 380 to sw40, and a multitude of 22s.
    I was just curious about the 45. Other than ammo cost, it’s a blast to shoot!

tornadochaser

I wouldn’t carry a mid-grade full size for 2 reasons.
    1: it’s a heavy gun w limited capacity compared to polymer frame subcompacts.
    2: 1911s and defensive ammo don’t mix very well in many instances. Often these guns need a ton of break in and aftermarket mags or tuning to reliably feed open tip HP and polymer tip HP loads.

Now, I like the 1911 for a few reasons. Customization, accuracy, classic looks, etc. But when I can carry a single stack subcompact 9 and have the same capacity, no feeding issues, and lighter weight, I’ll take it over a full size big brand production 1911 all day. Hand me a Wilson, Les Baer, or Dan Wesson and you might change my mind though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.